Feb 24, 2020, 09:10 PM
GOT WINGS
I realize this thread has been dormant for almost 4 years, but about a month ago I bought an inexpensive kit -the FlyFly F4U Corsair, just the wings, fuselage, cowl, and control rods. I spent a lot of time in the past month painting and building the model, and today I got it to fly right for the first time after a few unsuccessful attempts. This thread actually helped me a bit.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2020, 10:10 PM
Hi Siriusflier, I have bought the same kit ,still sitting unfinished on bench but I am very curious about how you got it to fly right. I have tried to lighten mine somewhat , the fuselage glue was not that great so I was able to pull the two halves apart and sand back some of the thicker areas also removed some of the plastic fittings and I will delete the rudder.
Regards
Mike
Feb 25, 2020, 10:46 PM
GOT WINGS
MIKEG1, If you have read this thread you will know that this is a tail heavy plane. There are two main things I have done to get it to fly, though it does not fly exactly right yet. I changed prop size, and I tried different batteries. The heavier battery possibly made the biggest difference, but prop size is also important. Next flight I will be trying a different prop.

If you go to the bottom of my post and click on Value Hobby 22 IN Min F4U Kit you can read my entire build experience.

Curious, Where did you get your kit from in Australia?
Feb 26, 2020, 12:23 AM
Siriusflier, Thanks for the reply, it wasn`t until after I clicked the reply button that I saw the link to your blog . If its OK with you I might post on that. Kit was purchased from Aliexpress ( China ).
Regards.
Mike.
Feb 26, 2020, 09:08 AM
GOT WINGS
You are welcome to post on my blog page.
Feb 29, 2020, 11:32 PM
GOT WINGS
I got my FlyFly F4U Corsair to fly well yesterday and today. Used a 2S 1200mah 53.7 gram battery and a 6045 2 blade prop. Was a little nose heavy with the battery pushed all the way forward, so I still have some COG adjusting to do. I was flying with 6 axis gyro in stabilized mode though.
Mar 01, 2020, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
FlyFly used to sell this plane RTF with a 2000KV motor.
Yes they did. You do recall the motor was mounted to the plastic cowling which over time and flights broke. I chose to mount the motor to the firewall instead rather than repairing the cowl mount plus I wanted a little more performance so I chose the 2730-2900KV motor and adapted it to the firewall rather than the cowling. I did originally run a three blade propeller but the airplane was rather flighty so I tried the two blade and it calmed it's handling down. The rogue aileron servo did not help. I guess in short replace the OE servos with something of quality.
Mar 01, 2020, 11:16 AM
GOT WINGS
I chose to mount the motor to the wooden firewall and glued that to to fuselage before I even knew the motor was originally mounted to the cowl. Just the best fit for the motor I used. The kit I got only came with the fuselage, wings, landing gear, and control linkages. I used all my own electronics and motor.
Mar 02, 2020, 06:56 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
I have 2 of the P-51 airframes. I was never able to find any electrics for them !
Mar 02, 2020, 07:36 PM
GOT WINGS
Motor to fit may be the hardest to find. I used XK A430 electronics in mine because I already had them. Complete info on the build in my blog. I also just ordered another kit, the P40 from Value Hobby. And I ordered an FMS P51 V2 800mm PNP because I have really liked building and flying the Corsair.

Quick Reply