Apr 22, 2011, 09:34 AM
Scratching to stay up
Hey Sean - no problem I'm like the proud dad when I see any pics of my mig, and she flys as good as she looks to! Thanks again for the speedy repairs which you did for me this week - you are the star!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2011, 01:41 PM
Don`t give up !
Apr 22, 2011, 01:51 PM
Stirring the pot
Quote:
Originally Posted by EATHIS
Don`t give up !
It's been a while since we were all on the slope!

With no wind for the next few days...
At least you can go surfing Barry!
Apr 23, 2011, 07:30 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
So.. it look like a little progress is happening... managed to get hold of a copy of ScaleAndTile (eventually) from segraves who was a massive help in finally getting these plans sorted!

Picture attached; 1 down 2 to go Dimensions of aileron TE are bang on 435mm as described a page or so ago. Happy with that, it's not perfect but it will do

Only thing left is to get some 3mm correx instead of the 4mm Wish i'd seen that before getting the 4mm

EDIT: Ok so all the plans are stuck together and ready to be cut out for templates! Wohoo!
I seem to have an awful lot of 2mm correx (4 times the amount of 4mm)... So I'm thinking of trying a full 2mm Mig.
Does anyone know the weight saving from using 3mm for the 4mm parts?
Only thing I'm concerned about if using 2mm would be rigidity and strength... I can always reinforce the vital parts.
What you lot think?
Last edited by rhysduk; Apr 24, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Apr 25, 2011, 03:04 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Thread OP
Hey all!....from Patensie, Eastern Cape, South Africa
I will be returning home tommorrow.
But in the mean time....
rd...
2mm can work for the fuzz, not sure of the weight saving from 4mm to 3mm?....but I suggest reinforcing the fuzz plenty or it will look a bit shabby if 2mm is used. Two mm will not work for the control surfaces, on its own....or you can say it can work but to what extent! So again, you will have to support the tailfeathers and ailerons if you choose so. But do not fear, 2mm is always a good thing to have in supply as the wings do tend to use it up fast!
You can use 4mm for the fuzz if your slope has good wind/lift!

Sorry if I seem confused!!..been away from ALL civillization for the past 4 days! ....been in the Baviaanskloof!!.....Google Image it!!
Apr 25, 2011, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
I believe I missed a GOOD day on the slope....anybody got some photo's
Apr 27, 2011, 06:29 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Oelofse
2mm can work for the fuzz, not sure of the weight saving from 4mm to 3mm?....but I suggest reinforcing the fuzz plenty or it will look a bit shabby if 2mm is used. Two mm will not work for the control surfaces, on its own....or you can say it can work but to what extent! So again, you will have to support the tailfeathers and ailerons if you choose so. But do not fear, 2mm is always a good thing to have in supply as the wings do tend to use it up fast!
You can use 4mm for the fuzz if your slope has good wind/lift!
This post has now taken over 4hours to write! I was nabbed to look at Health Boards computers soon as I walked in!!

Right so.... I'm going to see how a 4mm & 2mm Mig goes, the slopes here are pretty darn good as far as wind and lift goes. I can always build another all 2mm Mig as I have an abundance of 2mm Correx.

Ply for the formers and so forth should be here tomorrow (didn't realise how little my dad had left!).

What have you guys made your formers from? Have you stuck to the plans instructions of a mixture of ply and balsa or stuck to one wood in particular?
I'll be making the dihedral braces from 1/8 ply (couldn't get "hard ply").
Apr 27, 2011, 06:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysduk
This post has now taken over 4hours to write! I was nabbed to look at Health Boards computers soon as I walked in!!

Right so.... I'm going to see how a 4mm & 2mm Mig goes, the slopes here are pretty darn good as far as wind and lift goes. I can always build another all 2mm Mig as I have an abundance of 2mm Correx.

Ply for the formers and so forth should be here tomorrow (didn't realise how little my dad had left!).

What have you guys made your formers from? Have you stuck to the plans instructions of a mixture of ply and balsa or stuck to one wood in particular?
I'll be making the dihedral braces from 1/8 ply (couldn't get "hard ply").
Hey rd!
We have used 3mm commercial (cheap) ply for the formers....never ever worried about the primary grain direction....just layout to get best useage of the piece of wood.
For your braces, I recomend you glue two 3mm together. I have never used balsa on a slope Mig, but that does not mean you should'nt. The reason.....balsa I keep for building an electric or other planes. Building the Mig means cheap and strong, the correx can handle a knock.....not sure the balsa inside will.
Apr 27, 2011, 07:23 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Dually noted on the braces, thanks.
I should have enough 3mm / 1/8th ply to make a few sets of formers... yes I do, just checked my order.

Hehe if flying my other planes is anything to go by, I better build my Mig strong

Only thing left to do is to source something to replace the yardstick for the wing spar.... hmm...

PS: Sean, how do you pronounce your surname? Oo-le.. not a clue
Apr 27, 2011, 07:30 AM
Thread OP
Ooooo.......lof, as in loft without the t, .....se, like the su in sun!

Oooooo...lof....se

Never done that before!
Apr 27, 2011, 08:04 AM
Stirring the pot
Quote:

Oooooo...lof....se

Never done that before!
Oooooooo....
The winds blowing!!!!
Apr 27, 2011, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
So who is going to Graaf Reinet ??
To fly?
Be flyed?
Watch flying?
or just... fly in jou m....
J..?
Apr 27, 2011, 10:51 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Quote:

Oooooo...lof....se

Never done that before!
I'm been wondering for a while now.. finally I am at peace

Right.. on with the cutting...
Apr 27, 2011, 11:33 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
Quote:

Oooooo...lof....se

Never done that before!
We always say "its Beagle, like the dog". No strange pronunciation required ;-)
Apr 27, 2011, 11:58 AM
Stirring the pot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Beagle
We always say "its Beagle, like the dog". No strange pronunciation required ;-)
Hoooooowwl

Quick Reply