Feb 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
Nice Barry, very nice !
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2011, 11:55 AM

Thanks

Thanks Johann,
I must say this has been my best build yet. Everything fits perfectly(like it should) and it`s lighter than my previous builds.
Feb 21, 2011, 11:57 AM

Mig team build update

Ah, I see some builders coming out of the shadows. Where are the rest of you ?
Feb 21, 2011, 01:31 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EATHIS
Ah, I see some builders coming out of the shadows. Where are the rest of you ?
We'r BACK!!
Hi to all!!...and new Miggers!
Thanx for all the Q's and answers!
CG....as I said to Eathis today, you can save plenty useless weight by shifting it a tad back!
The CG shown on the drawing will do you well....but I have shifted mine back by 7mm....just over 1/4 inch.

Mig-Man.....do you build them so fast cause you total them so fast?? ....jokes...that is fast!!...then still to fly the next day after mounting an engine!!??

Simon, sorry for only getting back to you now...I think because the wing does not have a possitive location(as per drawing), this will have a direct influence on the CG. So , IMHO.....you will have to adjust it by ""flight and error"" I could say XXXmm from the LE, but it depends where your wing is sitting on the fuzz. Then... once you have a happy CG, you must build your next Mig with the wing in the same place. This is how you will achieve a well balanced light weight glider. Have you seen how we locate/cut the wing to fit the fuzz? Make any sense?? I will post some pics of said area in the next day or two as I start my fuzz shortly.

FB...you in Cape Town?...cool!....how's the wind?

James, 35oz....922g....with what span...I'm trying to compare to ours?
Last edited by Sean Oelofse; Feb 21, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Feb 21, 2011, 02:32 PM
Born again modeller
[QUOTE=Sean Oelofse;17473726]We'r BACK!!
...I think because the wing does not have a possitive location(as per drawing), QUOTE]

Hi Sean,
My wing is exactly central between the two formers. ie I cut back 1/4 inch off front and rear of wing and it just sat there perfect.
As you and Mig man are saying the same thing, I need to check the angle of the dangle in relation to the tail plane. I am making the assumption here that too far forward in the seat is going to give me a nose down leading edge??

Any ideas on making a simple incidence gauge?

Simon
Feb 21, 2011, 02:54 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=simon16;17474237]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Oelofse
We'r BACK!!
...I think because the wing does not have a possitive location(as per drawing), QUOTE]

Hi Sean,
My wing is exactly central between the two formers. ie I cut back 1/4 inch off front and rear of wing and it just sat there perfect.
As you and Mig man are saying the same thing, I need to check the angle of the dangle in relation to the tail plane. I am making the assumption here that too far forward in the seat is going to give me a nose down leading edge??

Any ideas on making a simple incidence gauge?

Simon
Simon, your ""angle of the dangle"" is spot on!!
Seems you understand us perfect!!
One problem though.....Rule to myself!!...never go near my Mig with a ruler or incidence gauge. Check this by eye.....you will find, if you constantly seat your wing by ""cut back 1/4 inch off front and rear of wing""...you will know how good it flies at that CG and incidence.
Feb 21, 2011, 03:24 PM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
James, 35oz....922g....with what span...I'm trying to compare to ours? [/QUOTE]

I'm close on the weight....just used a kitchen/ebay scale. I'll do a more accurate weigh in later. I'm close to you guys at 35oz. The batt is small 750mah nickel metal four cell pack. Span is per print out at Kinko's 100%. Measures 47" 1.193Meter It may not be heavy for a sloper? I'm new to no
whirligig thingy out front but understand the need for weight=speed=fun.
Used the small batt cuz that's what's here. Have some C size cells not in use on a car batt pack. All that fishing lead looks bad in there. May go to a C size pack. No wind here

James
Feb 21, 2011, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaktech
James, 35oz....922g....with what span...I'm trying to compare to ours?
I'm close on the weight....just used a kitchen/ebay scale. I'll do a more accurate weigh in later. I'm close to you guys at 35oz. The batt is small 750mah nickel metal four cell pack. Span is per print out at Kinko's 100%. Measures 47" 1.193Meter It may not be heavy for a sloper? I'm new to no
Used the small batt cuz that's what's here. Have some C size cells not in use on a car batt pack. All that fishing lead looks bad in there. May go to a C size pack. No wind here

James[/QUOTE]

Be sure to be "close on the weight" to a glider and not the powered version James!
Yours should be about 400g lighter than ours cause of the span...(ours are 1320mm)
Feb 21, 2011, 08:59 PM
David Drowns
Quote:
We'r BACK!!
Hi to all!!...and new Miggers!
Thanx for all the Q's and answers!....

Mig-Man.....do you build them so fast cause you total them so fast?? ....jokes...that is fast!!...then still to fly the next day after mounting an engine!!??
Actually YES No joke. That one was 3rd string in and got the wing busted up pretty good. After an overnight rebuild it was in combat action again the next day and got busted up again.... Man we do know how to have fun.

I'm a few events in with the green one from my avitar now without having to do any repairs...so far.

My CG's have all been on planes with fans out front so it looks like you guys are in a better position to give the advice for the sloper Migs. It was hard to see James and Simon go without answers before I posted. Thanks for helping out with your insights.
Feb 21, 2011, 09:49 PM
Quote:

James
Be sure to be "close on the weight" to a glider and not the powered version James!
Yours should be about 400g lighter than ours cause of the span...(ours are 1320mm)[/QUOTE]

Dang I'm way off the mark. Oh well, it was fun building it anyway. Learned a lot about corro ships. Maybe the 4mm fuzz takes it over the limit. ??? Sounds like it's going to be a big air day mig or a nice trash can decoration.
Hold on just calculated my wing loading at 13.1oz per SF. After a google slope wing loading search my 13.1 should be okay for a solid 12Mph+ blow.
Most PSS ships are in the teens I think....?? Some of the big PSS ships are well over 20oz's per foot. I'll wait for some good air and hopefully make some video.

James
Feb 22, 2011, 02:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaktech

I'll wait for some good air and hopefully make some video.

James
Sounds good James!!
If your wing has the undercamber we get after closeing....then she will fly just fine....but yes....try with 3mm correx next time and save yourself going to the bank for more lead!
Feb 22, 2011, 03:31 AM
Thanks for all the help Sean and everyone. Great group ya'll have there.
Cheers,
James
Feb 22, 2011, 03:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker_Bill
Hello Corroplas Mig 7 Folks,

I'm interesting in building a Mig 7. I downloaded the plans and checked with Sig Mfg. about the suggested canopy. It appears that Sig no longer carries this item. I'm curious to know what you folks use in place of the Sig WW ll canopy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wicker Bill
How is the canopy going WB?
Any pics for us?
Feb 23, 2011, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_camilo
Thanks sean.

but if, as I read all your post and I understand everything very well, was wondering if you had modified the plane, such as a pdf to do exactly the same modification, that the wing is easy because you add the same part of the template fin.

but I have some small doubts, for example, the cut exactly in these photos: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3607302
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3607301

another thing is how far the dihedral braces stick aft and fwd: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3607029

this cut is not on the plane .. to measure distance and how each cut, so it is good: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3606965

got involved and finally as a control rod to move from this photo: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3602245
to this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3602246
the aileron went through in the uncut, or cut and then paste, or as it did that.

wow and another question, which is the YARDSTICK

Greetings from Colombia
thank you very much friend
Sorry for posting in spanish, but in this trhread I found someone from my country.

Hola Juan Camilo. a la final si te embarcaste en la construcción de este aeromodelo? ya lo terminaste? estoy interesado también en construir uno. sería interesante que compartieras tu experiencia en construcción, y como hiciste las partes mas criticas ( unir las alas entre si, alerones, poner los servos etc.)
Aprovecho para preguntarte, acá en Colombia como se conoce el material que dicen en el foro llamado Plywood? y buena pregunta la tuya acerca del YARDSTICK, tambein andaba perdido con eso. a la final es un trozo de madera, cierto? pero este yardstick es de balso? o tambien es de "Plywood"?

Saludos desde Medellín
Feb 23, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hi SEAN. great thread!!! I just read all the post, and I get interested in building a mig . You awake the pilot tha was hide inside me

If you´re going to build another one soon, it would be great if you record some parts of the building, specially the most tricky or confusing parts for newbies like me . It would be great to have some short videos, for example when building the fuselage, the wings, placing things like servos etc. Short videos are great, specially for the people whose English is not their first language ( like me)

Just an idea from a newbie

Greetings from Medellín, Colombia, South America

David

Quick Reply