-Correx Mig-7 Scratch build- - Page 223 - RC Groups
Jun 13, 2017, 10:27 AM
Nice one Andy ��
Great video

That's Mig number 8 or 9 I've built for other people (ashamed to say I don't own one anymore) and I forgot how well they fly...

May I use your video on my F.B page 'Slope soaring in Wales'

Cheers for now
Phil
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2017, 10:41 AM
Reap the wild wind
No,thank you Phil. Really pleased and surprised how well it flew. I was half expecting it to tip stall at the low speeds I was flying it at but not a hint of it.
Can you remember what the minimum wind speed yours would comfortably fly in?
Happy to use my video in any way you like
Andy
Jun 13, 2017, 10:47 AM
If I remember right it was about 15mph....
����
Jun 13, 2017, 11:20 AM
Reap the wild wind
Thanks Phil
Jun 14, 2017, 02:46 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Lekker video Andy!
Maiden flight half hour long? ...... and that's just the start!

Job well done bf!
Jun 15, 2017, 01:21 AM
Reap the wild wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Oelofse
Lekker video Andy!
Maiden flight half hour long? ...... and that's just the start!

Job well done bf!
Thanks. Yep, 30 minutes . Not many of my other models had much airtime that afternoon! Passed the tx over to my fb Doug and he loved it.
Thanks for the build thread. The picture gallery might even inspire me to add some decoration
Here's the second flight video. It's even got a couple of slo-mo's in there.
Correx Mig-7 PSS second flight (3 min 9 sec)

Andy
Jun 24, 2017, 05:30 AM
Beautiful Andy! !
Jun 24, 2017, 08:27 AM
Reap the wild wind
Thanks Sean. I've added some vinyl after obtaining some offcuts from the local sign shop. However it's pretty thick and the roll rate is now very lethargic. Suspect it's restricting the downward movement so I'll remove,cut around the ailerons and reapply
Here the video. I need to add some decoration to the fuse next
Correx PSS Mig-7 slope soaring in lighter winds (2 min 59 sec)

Andy
Jul 14, 2017, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports
OK, it's pretty much complete now. Finishing went quickly as I was able to reuse most parts from the old model (pushrods, servo trays, even the red stars and arrows).

So, where did the AUW end up?

Well, I missed the 600g aspiration, but then I did add a lot of nice looking but unnecessary stuff. AUW in hand launch mode is a mere 630g.

So it is still the lightest electric Mig by quite a long way. For interest I'm using a small (45g) emax 2822 motor, but rewound to about 1400KV, with an 8x6 prop and 1300mAh Lipo. It just balances...may be slightly tail heavy. I did add 10mm to the nose to counter this, but seems I needed more.

If I add the wheels, the rudder servo and a heavier spinner, the weight creeps up to the 680g mark. At that weight I'll probably use a slightly larger motor (circa 60g).

I've added a dummy airscoop on the underside that acts as a grip for hand launching. It's not in quite the right position, but does enhance the profile nicely .

I think I can live with the nose as it is...the trim and panel lines seem to distract the eye enough that the seams are less intrusive...if anything just make the plane look a bit 'beaten up'.

Real beauty you got there. Amazing job!
Do you think there is enough space for a 2200 battery in there? with heavier motor in the front ofc 70 - 100grams or more.
Did you have to make a hatch on the top for the battery ? How does the battery placement work for the electric version.

Thanks.
Nakul
Jul 16, 2017, 01:45 PM
2200 battery should work fine with a slightly larger motor and would probably end up somewhere near the LE to get the CG right. In all my migs I've just inserted the battery by taking the wings off rather than having a separate hatch. A hatch would weaken the fuse and is hard to hide the hatch lines when building with correx. I did it once on a spitfire but it was not really worth the effort.

That said I would not choose a 2200 battery. The extra weight just negates all the hard work put in to keeping the plane light.
Jul 22, 2017, 06:53 AM
Reap the wild wind
Added a larger spinner, put someone in the "office" and added some colour. The flight proved to be a bit of a roller coaster but nothing that some more nose weight won't tame.
Correx PSS Mig-7 at Maes Knoll (2 min 17 sec)

Andy
Jul 22, 2017, 11:16 AM
Lekker Andy!!