Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 20, 2017, 12:53 PM
.....till the wind drops.
I came across these pics from our air show back in 2015 taken by Sakkie . Don't think I posted them.... ooooops if I did!
It is Johanns E-Mig piggybacking an Alula. Very crude engineering .... but worked very well!! .... light ply frame locating off the wing elastic dowels ..... with a HXT900 servo secured to the frame and plugged into a spare channel on the receiver. Elastic band also secured to the frame goes over the nose of the Alula and onto the servo horn. When the switch is thrown to release, the elastic slides off the servo horn and the Alula jettisons.
The E-Mig has oodles of power so it can handle the extra weight without a problem. The small finger on top of the frame holds the LE of the Alula down on launching because the prop wash tends to unseat it.

Anybody else made a similar jig?

(Files are a tad large .... so you can zoom in!)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2017, 01:07 PM
Building with TLAR precision
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Oelofse
It is Johanns E-Mig
Who?

-= Dave
Mar 20, 2017, 01:15 PM
.....till the wind drops.
I've forgotten his surname! ..... wait..... let me ask Google!
Mar 27, 2017, 11:05 PM
I have some questions, yesterday I printed full scale the plan .

1-Which would be the best position for the servos of the fuselage, I see in the thread, the servo of the elevator in the back for example, I do not know if the rudder would also be better too.

2-In the wings you could place separate micro servo for example HS55 or better one standard servo in the center wing.

3-And with the construction like here in my country I can only get the 4mm coroplast, I do not know if it's better to make them in one piece the wing with aileron and not to make a separate piece with the wing., Because I would think that the exit edge would be very thick would be 12 mm, and would normally be 7mm (down and top 2mm wing, 3mm aileron)

4-I see two wing dihedral braces Sport and Original, I like used for slope what I used ?

Thanks,
Fune
Mar 27, 2017, 11:31 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Fune, hear are some answers on how I built my Mig.

1. First, no rudder, no rudder servo. I have a static vertical fin. Elevator servo is in the fuse at the wing center.

2. In mine, only one standard servo for the ailerons. I have seen the two servo wing set up. Either with work fine.

3. I would go with your plan on no extra piece for the aileron. Using 4mm coroplast, you need to save weight especially aft of the CG. So maybe even light balsa or foam ailerons is better? Just an idea.

4. For dihedral? I checked mine. It is 3" ...so sport dihedral spar setting. Still pretty stable. Rolls well and flies inverted easily.

These are very durable planes. Yours will need more wind lift being made out of 4mm. Mine is 2 & 3 mm.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Last edited by Steve 0; Mar 28, 2017 at 12:03 PM.
Mar 28, 2017, 12:09 AM
Professional amature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fune

1-Which would be the best position for the servos of the fuselage, I see in the thread, the servo of the elevator in the back for example, I do not know if the rudder would also be better too.

2-In the wings you could place separate micro servo for example HS55 or better one standard servo in the center wing.

3-And with the construction like here in my country I can only get the 4mm coroplast, I do not know if it's better to make them in one piece the wing with aileron and not to make a separate piece with the wing., Because I would think that the exit edge would be very thick would be 12 mm, and would normally be 7mm (down and top 2mm wing, 3mm aileron)

4-I see two wing dihedral braces Sport and Original, I like used for slope what I used ?

Thanks,
Fune
Here are some photos of how I approached servos. I did not add a servo for the rudder. If you can use eBay I recommend the EMAX ES08MAII. These are durable and cheap! My elevator control rod is inside one of the flute/channels and has worked out nicely. The wing servos as shown actuate torque rod control rods. These are more work to build, but it make the plane prettier!!

I improvised a wing spar made of a carbon arrows, and epoxy. The dihedral brace (sport vs original) is not that critical. The original will be more self correcting and relaxed to fly.

4mm will be heavy but good for higher winds. The inner exit wing surfaces could be tapered to thin the exit edge (see my wing photos). Perhaps construct the ailerons from a single thickness of 4mm.

Ed
Mar 28, 2017, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fune

Thanks,
Fune
Has anyone built a wing from 4mm corro? I'd be a bit concerned that it will be so rigid that it won't bend to the airfoil shape and getting the TE to stay glued may be a struggle. Please report back how it works.

If I had to use 4mm, I'd experiment making the aileron as an extension of the top or bottom skin. That way the joint would only be 8mm thick, and the 'step' only 4mm. This will mean cutting the hinge line ACROSS rather than along the flutes. But its is easy enough to do (see attached pic). Normally an Aileron with the flutes running chordwise like this would be too flexible, but I anticipate that 4mm correx will be rigid enough for this not to be a concern.
Mar 28, 2017, 07:47 PM
Slope-a-Dope
The 4mm thickness can be turned into an asset....scale up!

Make the airframe at 150 to 175% larger and you have a bigger flies better Mig with similar wing loading to a standard sized plane.

Mig-a- saurus Rex.

Giga- Mig.

Mig-zilla. Yeah!
Mar 29, 2017, 02:38 AM
Warbirds Lover
If you have enough space to carry and store her, that's a good idea !
Mar 29, 2017, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys for all the tips.
Fune