-Correx Mig-7 Scratch build- - Page 101 - RC Groups
Mar 03, 2012, 12:46 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Haha

Well after all that work... it was pointless! The ailerons move about 1mm either way. Obviously my control rods are flawed and there's too much give in them... F*****g hell

Who wants to buy a 3/4 finished Mig?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2012, 01:30 PM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
Rhys. My CorroSabre had "stiff" ailerons, and the torq rods were flexing too much. So I cut slots in the hingeline about an inch in length every half inch. Then disconnect the servo and flex the aileron back and forth with as much deflection as possible. You need to reduce the "binding" effect of the stiff hingeline. A balsa aileron of that size would only have three CA hinges, so don't be afraid to cut even more slots if you have to. Hope this helps.
Mar 04, 2012, 05:37 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Thanks FB.

I did what you said on one of the ailerons but no difference... I just think that my torq rods have way to much give in them at the join to the servo push rod... The only other option would be to mount each servo in the wing near the aileron. I just don't have time to make a new wing.

I suppose these things happen
Mar 04, 2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysduk
The only other option would be to mount each servo in the wing near the aileron.....
that will work too....dont give up !
Mar 04, 2012, 10:32 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
I cowing hope so

IMAG0232 by rhys_rdpstudios, on Flickr
Mar 04, 2012, 03:37 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
After such a dismall attempt of mounting the aileron servos in the centre of the wing, I decided to mount them in the wing near the aileron (thanks Beagle for the confidence post )

I had to guess where too mount them for the depth of the wing, wanted to get it as right as I could and not leave 3ft of wing between the servo and top wing skin. Managed to get it good enough to my liking. wing now finished.
Some pics to tell a short story;

Weighing the gluing top skin wing down. Only had my Tx handy by rhys_rdpstudios, on Flickr

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/29621041@N02/6952524287/]glued/url] by rhys_rdpstudios, on Flickr

Finished article by rhys_rdpstudios, on Flickr

CW tape for a little strength. by rhys_rdpstudios, on Flickr
http://flic.kr/p/bnwAP9 (video)
(Sound is a bit dodgy and no where near as loud and crunchy IRL)
Last edited by rhysduk; Mar 04, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Mar 04, 2012, 11:49 PM
.....till the wind drops.
My first attempt looked worse rhysduk!!
Keep going!!
Mar 05, 2012, 05:03 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Thanks Sean, however I find that hard to believe as from what I've seen yours are superb, like many others here. It is my first build ever so I can't expect to much from it.. I just wish i could make a group build

What do you guys use for covering? Some sticky vinyl type stuff? I don't want to iron on solarfilm or similar as the 2mm on the wing is too thin...

Control Throws - do these slopers use the suggested 3/8" (9mm) of control throws on aileron and elevator? Seems an awful lot of throw!
Mar 05, 2012, 08:28 AM
sticky vinyl works great, easy to apply and helps with landing rash

3/8" would be OK for low rates, this airframe isnt that fast
you might also want a switch for high rates, cause you could use even 3/4" of throw

then as you get used to the airframe you might want even more throws to do faster rolls and tighter loops.

I like to use about 30% expo to smooth out the flying, but some of the other guys dont use any expo
Mar 05, 2012, 09:59 AM
Thats right!
Go for low rates in the beginning, then you will find yourself going to 25mm each way!! ........seriouse!!
Mar 05, 2012, 05:39 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
Cheers guys. Duly noted for the end of the build... If I ever get there. I don't usually use Expo but might try 20% for her for the maiden.

I can't get the bloody Top Aft fuselage piece to fit properly!! Doing my head in!!
Last edited by rhysduk; Mar 05, 2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Expo
Mar 05, 2012, 11:57 PM
Ja!
It does take some fidling!
Mar 06, 2012, 06:04 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
I'll have another go tonight after work, failing that I'll try a pop bottle
Mar 06, 2012, 11:54 AM
What I do is cut every second flute. This is the 2mm aft top cover right? The instructions say only to score. If you using 3mm, then I'd say cut every flute, on the inside skin.
Mar 06, 2012, 12:00 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
That's right Sean... I've gone through 4 pieces now and cannot get the fit right! Bit of an awkward angle and shape... I may just put some hotglue to fill in the gaps... but I'd rather get it righ tas the Fuselage is the best made bit out of the lot!

(My wing is awful!)