Nov 07, 2010, 05:07 PM
Thread OP
Cool

In Flight video of OV-10 Bronco using EyePod mount... Must See!!!

Just created this video to using the popular "key chain" cameras to show what my new EyePod camera mount can do... I've seen a lot of on board videos and some of some great warbirds. These videos were the inspiration to design and create this mount...

OV-10 Bronco In-flight video created using EyePod Camera Mounting System (1 min 32 sec)

Unlimited variety of mounting possiblities with this mount.

Link: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1333287

Some of my camera batteries were dead so some of the other camera locations I had placed on the plane didn't film... Just ordered new batteries and will re shoot those angles...

Still, pretty happy with the outcome with some shots reminding me of some Vietnam War era flight videos....

Thought some of you might find this interesting as a way of enhancing your scale flight videos.

At the end of video are some still showing were and how some of the cameras were mounted on the plane to create the video.

The OV-10 is a scale prototype of a possible upcoming kit... twin $15.95 brushless/ESC combo units turning 8x4 props on a 48" wingspan... The camera mounts weigh only 15 grams!

Enjoy!

Richard
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2010, 05:47 PM
So cool!!
Where can i get the parts!!!
Nov 07, 2010, 05:49 PM
Park Stormer
pretty neat. I'd be in for finding out more info about the bronco kit too
Nov 07, 2010, 06:16 PM
Thread OP

Bronco Parts

Wow!

Didn't realize there would be an interest in the Bronco.. I've been working on the EyePod camera mount for a while...

Just what I need, to start up another kit! lol! It's my job and I LOVE it....

Just posted this a little while ago... This was more about a way for you guys to photograph/video your war birds in flight... I hadn't planned on releasing this as a kit yet... There would still be more work to get this up to a "partial kit"...

I suppose I could draw up the fuse (profile and top views including the booms...)... not sure what I'd do about foam cores.... maybe opt for a flat plate wing for now?

Working on a new wing cutter that would cut both cores in one pass... but that's not scheduled to be completed for a few months yet...let's see what kind of response continues for this as a partial kit...

Here's some photos of the parts and the build in process...

Let me know what you think.

Best,
Richard
Nov 07, 2010, 06:30 PM
Thread OP

PS: Early version with IPS motors!

Just a note... saw the photos of the twin boom with the IPS GWS motors... in one of the photos.

This has been changed!

I am using those CHEAP ($15.95 for motor AND ESC combo packages from China), bell brushless motors 1300k turning two 8 x 4 GWS props... still hauls like crazy with almost unlimited vertical... carrying a 3-S 1900mah pack and can fly longer than I usually do...

The video was flow using those cheap brushless motors.

Since we're on the subject of those cheap little motors and vacuum formed planes... Although it's not a warbird, this is the direction I'm heading in my kit designing...

The idea is that each plane starts off as a foam box structure (the lower half of the fusealge) then the top is capped with a highly detailed vacuum formed shell with additional details, clear canopy, pilot, cowl Including forward belly pan on planes having a rounded nose section... flat plate foam wings and powered by one of these cheap little brushless motors for true slow , park flyer performance but able to fly in moderate winds and perform aerobatics.

What do you think? I've already started in the Micro department with the recent release of a similarly engineered Ryan and It looks like my next micro will be a FW 190... I could put together a large Parkflyer size (34" to 40" span) If I knew there were a market for it...

Here's a video of the micro Ryan flying in about 7mph winds (2oz AUW 19" span flying on PZ micro P-51 guts:

(0 min 59 sec)

Enjoy and thanks for the positive response so far!

Best,
Richard
Nov 07, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hawk Fanatic
You do beautiful work Richard. PM sent.
Nov 07, 2010, 07:44 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
man you make me want to rebuild my micro bronco(s) LOL
wicked.
Nov 08, 2010, 03:44 AM
I Crash Therefore I Buy
Really really nice detail! So much character!
I Love 'em. Will be keeping an eye out for release.
Thanks!
Jake
Nov 08, 2010, 06:35 AM
That are two absolutely amazing looking planes. Well done!!
Nov 08, 2010, 10:43 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the posts guys...

I have been thinking about this concept for over 20 YEARS! back when I was producing the Telos, Shogun and Impulse (the later two were vacuum formed), I came up with a concept for scale planes (mostly war birds) that were build around a "box"... If you look at the Gee Bee that is exactly what it is... a lower box fusealge (something ANYONE can build) with a highly detailed top shell, a bottm shell forward of the wing and a cowl , wheel pants (bombs or other items in the case of war birds)...

The plan was to release a line of kits called "Birds of Prey~Birds of play"... highly detailed, more detailed than sport scale with most of the hard rounding, complex curve, rivet, panel lines stretched fabric on frame, cockpit work already done for you... not an arf, not exactly a "kit either... somewhere in between? The REAL goal was to keep the price down to $69 or less... the kits would include flat sheet foam (Depron or cellfoam 88) templates for all the parts, WOOD spars and leading edges (Wood to keep the price down but also because all of these would be designed to fly SLOW! a flat plate wing that was highly modified (actually building one now over in the EyePlane build thread in the aerial photography forum:

link:https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1334276

The flat plate wing for the EyePlane, will have some camber to it as well as washout while using wood spars... I'm designing it in "Plain Sight"... in other words sharing exactly what goes into designing, engineering and prototyping a new kit... pictures and videos of the shop and studio...

The idea for the scale kits would be to have something super detailed like the Gee Bee or the Ryan micro, yet have it just so "no-brainer" easy to build.... It would be designed to fly SLOW and still be maneuverable enough to fly circles inside a baseball base line while standing on the pitcher's mound and to be able to do so effortlessly with no tip stall tendencies... The Gee Bee flies like that...

For those wanting a much faster kit, they're already out ther and if you wanted to beef up my kits just swap the wood spars for CF tubes and throw in a bigger motor/prop battery... Personally I like to fly my scale planes slow and close so I can enjoy the details... I also LOVE landing gear... taxiing around taking off, landings, touch and goes... its all part of the "scale experience for me"...

So that's the plan!

The OV-10 had a hot wire cut foam airfoild wing... if there's enough interest (since the vacuum formed molds are already made), I may release it as a partial kit... already talking with a freind to see about him building this plane using a flat plate wing similar in design to the EyePlane wing and we'll see how it flies... Might do the designing, building and testing also in "Plain Sight" like the EyePlane so you can all see how it comes together... from concept to ready to purchase... IF this comes together, we'll probably do in here in the war birds forum as a build thread...

eager for your opinions and reaction to the concept of the planes as slow flying, highly detailed kits where yu cut your foam, super simple build, LOTS of vacuum formed details and the kits cost less than $69...

ok... Monday... have to get back to work...

Thanks guys! The support you've given m really energizes me to continue working past my exhaustion!

Best,
Richard
Nov 08, 2010, 12:43 PM
Wow!! That is a great concept and really great looking birds. I look forward to buying one of your kits and checking out your "Plain Sight" builds. I really like the Gee Bee as that is a favorit and will probably be the first kit I buy. Well done indeed!!

Evelys
Nov 08, 2010, 01:25 PM
Mike
I'd love one of the OV 10 Bronco kits. My father worked on them at Rockwell. I would love to build this for him. Let me know how to get one. PM me if you can.
Nov 08, 2010, 01:43 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
love the idea & teh kit idea.
Nov 08, 2010, 02:46 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
That little 'keychain camera' is well worth obtaining, it's so light I even mounted one on top of the fin, (vertical stab), of a model without any problem flying. Admittedly I got the angle a little wrong and filmed too much model, but still great fun.
Nov 08, 2010, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
Deleted
Last edited by jarel design; Jun 14, 2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: deletion

Quick Reply