Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 07, 2010, 12:26 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Build Log

T Copter build - Aluminum tube version.

I have retired my foam body T copter and replaced it with a different style. I like the look of skycam's T so I ventured into the anodized tubes. They do give a nice clean look. The yaw mechanics are nice and tight I should get a chance to fly it soon. The weight has increased by 4.5 oz this is still well within the range.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2010, 12:34 PM
As always, very nice Mike!!
Nov 07, 2010, 12:58 PM
Oh no, now I've got to go tighten up the jibs on the Smithy Very nice work, can't get much cleaner than that! Looking forward to the flight report.
Nov 07, 2010, 01:02 PM
They call me Maj. Sink!
Looks good! How are you planning on mounting the GoPro? Can't wait to see this one in action.
Nov 07, 2010, 01:35 PM
Looks good Mike

There still a little wood left LOL I'm sure we will be post asap, when you get her flying.

I noticed your motor are little bigger? Can you share the Stats?

Thanks Jerry
Nov 07, 2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys,

It flys very well. I like it a lot! I did manage to cartwheel it on the first attempt absolutely, entirely my fault. Tough sucker this thing is! I get this false sense thing in my head that I can just go fly T copters without thinking....Guess what, I can't. I am really not that good of a copter pilot yet

The GoPro will mount in the open area in front, this is the sole reason I left the flat area. I tried to get it on C.G. and while I can I get the shot of the upper portion of the body I am still working on it.

Jerry,

The motors are the Pulso 2212-34 (710 kv) turning APC 10-3.8 props they are the exact size as the AXI's in my other T copter (exact copies ) just little 100 watt jobs. My AUW is 40.5 oz. This thing has plenty of power with just the GoPro on deck. I have no intentions to go completely aluminum, I like the combo of wood to metal. I feel it helps with vibes and it is also easier to make. I am using a counter rotating prop on the right motor, I do like this as it allows the yaw motor to stay straight when in hover mode.

I should have some pics and video soon.....

Mike
Nov 07, 2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by power

Jerry,

The motors are the Pulso 2212-34 (710 kv) turning APC 10-3.8 props they are the exact size as the AXI's in my other T copter (exact copies ) just little 100 watt jobs. My AUW is 40.5 oz. This thing has plenty of power with just the GoPro on deck. I have no intentions to go completely aluminum, I like the combo of wood to metal. I feel it helps with vibes and it is also easier to make. I am using a counter rotating prop on the right motor, I do like this as it allows the yaw motor to stay straight when in hover mode.

I should have some pics and video soon.....

Mike
When you get your best guess on mah per time I will add this to the stats I'm putting together.

Thanks
Nov 07, 2010, 07:37 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
The Pulso's are smooth as butter. Right?
Nov 07, 2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh
The Pulso's are smooth as butter. Right?

The slow churned style I am very impressed so far, very smooth very quiet. I did some examining and the only things I see different from the AXI line is the windings, the mag thickness, and cogging. The windings on the Pulso are thicker ga wire and it appears to be wound by hand. The AXI is wound with very small diameter wire. The mags are a bit thicker on the AXI and the cogging is more solid. None of this matters...just differences.

Honestly, if these things stay running the way they do now as much as I hate to say it AXI will be a very loyal customer. I am happy so far...

Here are some in flight shots my brother got at the park, I will have a simple video of the maiden up soon with onboard footage.

Stoked 6.0,

the inflight pics show how I have the GoPro mounted.

Mike
Nov 07, 2010, 10:33 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Looks great Mike.

Dave
Nov 08, 2010, 04:05 AM
Here is a quick video...Nothing fancy I am taking it slow with this one, I like it The wind was gusty check out the flag in the background at times. It still seemed very solid in the air.

Cool part...I mounted my GoPro solid to the front platform with velcro. The first onboard clip is panning a lot but I cant see jello, the last clip is at my parents house in the back yard, I was trying to get out of the wind. I will be very pleased if this is the footage I get by just slapping it on the front.

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...1_ujYkp/Medium

Mike
Nov 08, 2010, 06:38 AM
Looks like a Winner! Very positive T/R control. Will have to try the counterrotating prop. What size tubing did you use and where did you get it???
Nov 08, 2010, 06:46 AM
Aluminum and mounting the camera directly to the frame does wonders for the Jello Monster.

Now where have I head that Idea before? Hmmmm. LOL!!!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=518
Nov 08, 2010, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie
Aluminum and mounting the camera directly to the frame does wonders for the Jello Monster.

Now where have I head that Idea before? Hmmmm. LOL!!!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=518
Jello Monster!! Looks nice and solid!
Nov 08, 2010, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop
Looks like a Winner! Very positive T/R control. Will have to try the counterrotating prop. What size tubing did you use and where did you get it???
Hi flip,

I get my tubes from TNT Landing gear. Scroll down to the anodized tubes without sockets. There are several lengths and sizes. I used a 30" tube for the front. and a 24" for the rear. Diameter is 3/4. I used a Delrin insert with two flats for the rear mount base. The flats allow for wire access. A wood dowel could be used.

http://www.tntlandinggear.com/store/shop/wing_tubes.htm

Mike