Nov 06, 2010, 09:57 AM
Cool

The amazing Sylph!

I designed and made this wing (the sylph- i apologise if that name is in use already) in a day; with no finishing, to test. It flew straight off with no adjustments....Its got to happen some time!
Its a delight and worth passing on. It weighs 175grams and runs on a 360 2S or 500 2S. With lift it would probably fly hours on either. It turns on a wing tip banked at about 70 with very little power without sinking. It floats on 3 or 4 clicks of throttle, very, very slowly, and any size circle in thermals, I can fly it around me in a small space or high in a thermal.
One downside: face on its just a line in the sky; It will have to be bright red (again!) Total cost 30 dollars with out RX (Hobby King of course.)Next version will be covered with paper and perhaps a bigger motor for the wind.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2010, 10:26 AM
Congrads on a very classy, elegant design!
Would you please provide more detail of the build. From the pic I am guessing is a foam (Depron??) but how you achieve the curvature of the tips??? Did you add any washout? Reflex?
More details, please!
Janusz
Nov 06, 2010, 11:48 AM
Very nice foufly!
Nov 06, 2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foufly
I designed and made this wing (the sylph- i apologise if that name is in use already) in a day; with no finishing, to test. It flew straight off with no adjustments....Its got to happen some time!
Its a delight and worth passing on. It weighs 175grams and runs on a 360 2S or 500 2S. With lift it would probably fly hours on either. It turns on a wing tip banked at about 70 with very little power without sinking. It floats on 3 or 4 clicks of throttle, very, very slowly, and any size circle in thermals, I can fly it around me in a small space or high in a thermal.
One downside: face on its just a line in the sky; It will have to be bright red (again!) Total cost 30 dollars with out RX (Hobby King of course.)Next version will be covered with paper and perhaps a bigger motor for the wind.
Nice job! What airfoils did you go with?
Nov 06, 2010, 01:13 PM
Build more, websurf less
foufly,

I like the motor in the front; it's much quieter that way. Elegant shape. Nice job.

Paul
Nov 06, 2010, 01:23 PM
cool....i always wanted to build something like this in the 2 meter span
Nov 06, 2010, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janusz Jawien
Congrads on a very classy, elegant design!
Would you please provide more detail of the build. From the pic I am guessing is a foam (Depron??) but how you achieve the curvature of the tips??? Did you add any washout? Reflex?
More details, please!
Janusz
Here are more photos. The wing is made of 3mm "depron" for top and bottom layers with 3mm balsa ribs, glued on the bottom sheet first There is a 3mm carbon tube as spar.The profile started off as a flat bottom.The ribs ,I hollowed in the middle slightly and rounded the front up some.I continued the shaping after joining top and bottom by sanding, aiming at a reflexed profile.Obviously the ribs fade out gradually towards the tips,stopping before the curve.The aerolons are 6mm sanded in a curve up and I fly with some up elevator.The tips I bent up, both layers,before assembling . I bodged it together while the glue was half wet so I could adjust it finally,making sure the stretch for the aerolons stayed FLAT.There is probably an easier way!
Nov 06, 2010, 01:45 PM

more photos

here are more photos of the sylph
Nov 06, 2010, 03:58 PM
Some more details.I sanded some washout in the thickness of the sandwich , at the tips.The 3mm carbon tube spar crosses the centre join and goes 60% of each wing length.It seems strong enough , I can loop it indefinitely by surging the power. That is a 9cm drain pipe in the photo, and a glove to hold the sheet in the hot air! And yes it is quiet, inaudible at 50ms.This motor and 7060SF prop is the quietest combo.
Nov 06, 2010, 06:56 PM
IFO's are planes too
Hey nice looking wing, has that Radian look to it.
I bet that was a bear to get those tips right .
AL
Nov 06, 2010, 08:38 PM
Very cool
I have a hollow depron wing that I've made .
The next version I think I'll incorporate your tip design. Too Sexy
Nov 06, 2010, 11:35 PM
Hi foufly,
Thank you for sharing such a cool design...!
Janusz
Nov 07, 2010, 08:53 AM
Here is another way of curving wingtips.After glueing ribs on the bottom sheet (3 or 6mm) I coat the edges of top and bottom sheets and the area of the tips with glue (uhu por) let this dry, then cover the end third with waxed cooking paper.I start joining carefully from the wing centre out pressing the tip into the former in the picture.I slide the paper out as I go and let the two surfaces laminate together to the tip.Voila!They hold MOST of the curve, and are quite strong.
Nov 07, 2010, 02:01 PM
No flying today ,so finished painting it.
Nov 08, 2010, 01:36 AM
it looks beautiful foufly!