FPV Tonka Summit - Page 820 - RC Groups
May 01, 2018, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk
Mine are actually flat glass 70mm X 35mm.........so these would be better as they are curved glass........
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112674020833

Edit........In fact Iím so impressed with them that Iíve ordered a set for the RockApe.........
Those use the same frames as my plastic mirrors so you could use this technique to mount them to Rock Ape...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post38944091
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2018, 04:33 PM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayreb
Those use the same frames as my plastic mirrors so you could use this technique to mount them to Rock Ape...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post38944091
Thanks for that Replay........but an earlier attempt to get the glass mirror out of the plastic bezel resulted in me shattering the glass.......the plastic mirrors are far more flexible than glass ........I will probably use the same principle as my current set.......double sided tape and two screws through the aluminium mirror arm into the bottom of the mirror housing.......even the damned dog couldnít rip the mirror off of the arm........lol........by allowing the arm to pivot around the A Pillar it saves the mirror from being damaged when the mirror hits something solid by accident........
May 02, 2018, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Mine are actually flat glass 70mm X 35mm.........so these would be better as they are curved glass........
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112674020833

Edit........In fact Iím so impressed with them that Iíve ordered a set for the RockApe.........
Great thanks, ordered some too
May 03, 2018, 10:05 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp106
Great thanks, ordered some too
Mirrors arrived today......they are nice.....incredibly good value at £3.59.....being glass, they give a sharpe image, and as the glass is curved it should give better all round coverage........they are smaller than the ones on the RockApe at present........so, I just need to add a piece of plastic to the rear of the cans (there is a manufacturing hole in the plastic that is visible once you remove the double sided tape) ......then I will get them assembled onto the truck......the current ones have a few teeth marks in them.......
May 07, 2018, 10:21 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
dp106........I donít know if you have fitted your new mirrors.......but I found that fitting them to the straight aluminium arm, left them looking at the sky, so I quickly designed a wedge to fit between the mirror and the arm and 3D printed them........not only does it position the glass better, but it also allows the fixing screws to run up parallel to the mirror glass.
Hereís the stl file if you are interested.......they only took 12 minutes to print.
May 07, 2018, 03:52 PM
Wotcha I haven't got around to thinking about fitting them. I've been busy trying to design and new battery cover so I can fit bigger ones in.

I was thinking about trying to have a bracket where I could just use the double sided foam on the back of the mirrors and stick them on like that
May 07, 2018, 03:59 PM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
:
Quote:
Wotcha I haven't got around to thinking about fitting them. I've been busy trying to design and new battery cover so I can fit bigger ones in.

I was thinking about trying to have a bracket where I could just use the double sided foam on the back of the mirrors and stick them on like that
That’s another way........I must admit that I’m still using the original brackets that I made 6 years ago.......so it was just a case of adapting the mirror to fit the arms........

But after I had assembled everything, I realised that, as I was adding a new face to the rear of the can, I could have cut part of the back away and added a nut inside the housing, as Replay had done, then when I added the rear face it would have covered the hole that I had created..................isn’t second sight wonderful.........
Last edited by FPVsummituk; May 08, 2018 at 09:37 AM.
May 08, 2018, 09:41 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:

Thinking about this method......it does mean that if you clip something with the mirror it will probably knock the mirror clean off.............far better to find a mechanical fix.........
Last edited by FPVsummituk; May 09, 2018 at 03:49 AM.
May 16, 2018, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Thinking about this method......it does mean that if you clip something with the mirror it will probably knock the mirror clean off.............far better to find a mechanical fix.........
I found a rescue mirror in a survival kit for helicopter pilots in the military.. my buddy gave me the little kit.. i actually have a few of these kits. they replace them every year.. the best part is the mirror is thick/semi scratch resistant and PLASTIC instead of glass.. I cut them up with a dremel and then used some old motormounts that come with the miniquad motors to attach them.. they are aluminum and they bend easy enough to adjust. just have to re-seat the screws to make it look more presentable.. but they work none the less
May 17, 2018, 02:15 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyPope
I found a rescue mirror in a survival kit for helicopter pilots in the military.. my buddy gave me the little kit.. i actually have a few of these kits. they replace them every year.. the best part is the mirror is thick/semi scratch resistant and PLASTIC instead of glass.. I cut them up with a dremel and then used some old motormounts that come with the miniquad motors to attach them.. they are aluminum and they bend easy enough to adjust. just have to re-seat the screws to make it look more presentable.. but they work none the less
Great work on the mirrors and mounts........fully adjustable........very nice!!......neat idea.......
May 20, 2018, 12:15 AM

Back lit License plate anyone??

So i had about 120 old credit card machines we had to destroy a few years ago.... i kept some parts from them - like these back lit lcd displays.. thinking Ill use them for something one day.... Well that day has come...

to start off I had to take apart the displays and remove them from the plastic housing ( quite simple with a x-acto knife) then i had to print out a template for the license plate size and measure it against the back board to make sure cutting the board wouldnt affect the lights power path...

then i cut to the specifications of the template..

now I will make a license plate bracket to hold them in.... so here's what i got so far..

I've also been thinking I could cut one to put behind the dashboard gauges... but thats at a later date :P

Ps... this is my actual licence plate for my van.... just a miniature version of it. LOL
Last edited by DeadlyPope; May 20, 2018 at 12:24 AM.
May 20, 2018, 02:39 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
So i had about 120 old credit card machines we had to destroy a few years ago.... i kept some parts from them - like these back lit lcd displays.. thinking Ill use them for something one day.... Well that day has come...

to start off I had to take apart the displays and remove them from the plastic housing ( quite simple with a x-acto knife) then i had to print out a template for the license plate size and measure it against the back board to make sure cutting the board wouldnt affect the lights power path...

then i cut to the specifications of the template..

now I will make a license plate bracket to hold them in.... so here's what i got so far..

I've also been thinking I could cut one to put behind the dashboard gauges... but thats at a later date :P

Ps... this is my actual licence plate for my van.... just a miniature version of it. LOL
Cool......once you have the licence plate frame and have it mounted on your truck, it would be great if you added the photos and description to your blog, then I will grab them for the weebly site......this needs to be in the Tonka Summit Library....
May 24, 2018, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Cool......once you have the licence plate frame and have it mounted on your truck, it would be great if you added the photos and description to your blog, then I will grab them for the weebly site......this needs to be in the Tonka Summit Library....
LOL ok... started a blog... but dont know how you get to it to see it LOL never did a "blog before" so its probably pretty bad..

never mind, I see how you can see it... LOL
Last edited by DeadlyPope; May 24, 2018 at 01:17 PM.
Yesterday, 02:31 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
LOL ok... started a blog... but dont know how you get to it to see it LOL never did a "blog before" so its probably pretty bad..

To see anyone’s blog........just click on their blue name tag on the left hand side of the post.......you also have the option to add a new blog once you are in your own blog.......
Last edited by FPVsummituk; Yesterday at 08:18 AM.
Yesterday, 02:43 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:

I’ve just read your first blog entry......,,and I see that you are using 3 channels for hi/lo gear and diff lock.......here is my method for getting everything onto one channel and a single three way switch .....https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ree-way-switch..... it’s always nice to save channels, as there are a lot of things that you will want to add as your build advances.

But do check out the Library in our http://tonkasummit.weebly.com/ site, for other ideas.
Last edited by FPVsummituk; Yesterday at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply