Jun 15, 2017, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVsummituk
Still awaiting the rear view camera..........weird isn't it........for years I relied on the mirrors when reversing........then I add the rv camera.........and now I don't want to drive without it.........
i can understand that one , also nice to see where ya been or who is chasing ya....
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2017, 09:56 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfirekid
i can understand that one , also nice to see where ya been or who is chasing ya....
No I can't do that........as I have to apply reverse to automatically switch from the GoPro to the rear view camera for the transmitted view ..........but a manually switchable rear view camera would certainly help when being pursued by one of our furry friends..........actually, thinking about it, one with a gunsight would be better.........
Last edited by FPVsummituk; Jun 15, 2017 at 01:13 PM.
Jun 15, 2017, 04:04 PM
Flying FPV from the lab.
FPV summit, you've smoked 3 motors??? I've had my traxxas summit since the early days of WOBBY, must be 2009 or 2010, and I just replaced my first 775 motor this year. I only replaced it because the bushings were worn so badly, it was squeaking and squaking from one too many nasty slough water baths.

Have you ever attempted a brushed motor break-in? You submerge the motor in distilled water and run it for a while. The water will turn dark gray, but the brushes are supposed to last a lot longer if you do this procedure.
How To Break In Your brushed motor (3 min 44 sec)
Jun 15, 2017, 04:04 PM
Quote:
No I can't do that........as I have to apply reverse to automatically switch from the GoPro to the rear view camera for the transmitted view ..........but a manually switchable rear view camera would certainly help when being pursued by one of our furry friends..........actually, thinking about it, one with a gunsight would be better.........
and equipped with a taser or pepper spray....

Ive got my rear view cam on a switch and find it great to check behind
Jun 16, 2017, 01:59 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_gx
FPV summit, you've smoked 3 motors??? I've had my traxxas summit since the early days of WOBBY, must be 2009 or 2010, and I just replaced my first 775 motor this year. I only replaced it because the bushings were worn so badly, it was squeaking and squaking from one too many nasty slough water baths.

Have you ever attempted a brushed motor break-in? You submerge the motor in distilled water and run it for a while. The water will turn dark gray, but the brushes are supposed to last a lot longer if you do this procedure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nMGfxv3034
I've never heard of that........but one just stopped working, the other two were black and charred.........so now I've switched to a Tekin T8 GEN2 1900kV Brushless Motor combined with a Tekin RX8 GEN2 esc........each has been waterproofed.
Jun 16, 2017, 05:24 PM
lifeatredline76 on Youtube
I downgraded the firmware to 1.52 on tx and rx to see if a quirk in the pc tool went away and it didn't. It identifies the jr module as tx 500mw instead of tx JR in the programming tab. Maybe they all show up that way as different firmware versions I tried show it the same. Went back to 1.53 on tx and rx. Left frequency on 433-435 instead of extreme hopping. Set the radio in the window in back of house. Powered the receiver from a usb phone charger bank and set out walking and watching the led on the receiver. I saw a few momentary stutters in the led "breathing" but did not lose signal until I had walked 2.5 blocks and had multiple houses and a school between me and the radio which was in the window at my house. I held the receiver up and slowly rotated it and got the signal back with no stutters. This was on low power. Any time during my walk that i seen the led stutter in it's pulsing i stopped and held the receiver still and it was solid signal. Almost as if the monopoles bobbing around from me walking was causing the stutter. Or maybe there was no stutter as the sun is bright (it's 100 degrees) and I was holding my hand over it to shade the led while I walked. I am now pretty much convinced that the tx and rx are working as they should. To retain signal while walking a block over and down two blocks with the radio in the house is proof to me that the little jr module is putting out power and the nagoya antenna is effective. I installed everything back on the truck and repeated the test with me standing on the corner and driving down the street and I got about 300 foot further than I had in previous tests, but still did not make it a full block (almost). The antennas are about 10 inches off the ground at their base on the truck, and when i was walking i had them 5.5 foot off the ground. I should note these arent traditional length blocks here, they are crazy long. When i lost signal and could not get it back, i lifted the goggles and could not see the truck, it was a tiny spec along the roadside. I may take the laptop and work the route again to see what the rssi is at those distances, and run the spectrum analyzer and see what may be lurking down the road.
Jun 17, 2017, 02:15 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeatredline76
I downgraded the firmware to 1.52 on tx and rx to see if a quirk in the pc tool went away and it didn't. It identifies the jr module as tx 500mw instead of tx JR in the programming tab. Maybe they all show up that way as different firmware versions I tried show it the same. Went back to 1.53 on tx and rx. Left frequency on 433-435 instead of extreme hopping. Set the radio in the window in back of house. Powered the receiver from a usb phone charger bank and set out walking and watching the led on the receiver. I saw a few momentary stutters in the led "breathing" but did not lose signal until I had walked 2.5 blocks and had multiple houses and a school between me and the radio which was in the window at my house. I held the receiver up and slowly rotated it and got the signal back with no stutters. This was on low power. Any time during my walk that i seen the led stutter in it's pulsing i stopped and held the receiver still and it was solid signal. Almost as if the monopoles bobbing around from me walking was causing the stutter. Or maybe there was no stutter as the sun is bright (it's 100 degrees) and I was holding my hand over it to shade the led while I walked. I am now pretty much convinced that the tx and rx are working as they should. To retain signal while walking a block over and down two blocks with the radio in the house is proof to me that the little jr module is putting out power and the nagoya antenna is effective. I installed everything back on the truck and repeated the test with me standing on the corner and driving down the street and I got about 300 foot further than I had in previous tests, but still did not make it a full block (almost). The antennas are about 10 inches off the ground at their base on the truck, and when i was walking i had them 5.5 foot off the ground. I should note these arent traditional length blocks here, they are crazy long. When i lost signal and could not get it back, i lifted the goggles and could not see the truck, it was a tiny spec along the roadside. I may take the laptop and work the route again to see what the rssi is at those distances, and run the spectrum analyzer and see what may be lurking down the road.
That's better news.......but try it away from houses etc........sounds as if you will be plesently surprised when you do.......
Not sure about the USA, but here in the U.K. 433/435 was jamming people's remote control car key fobs from unlocking their cars.......437 was fine........test it out.......switch on your control system and try to unlock your car........
Jun 18, 2017, 05:23 AM
started pulling the Tonka body apart today, on this one they had used a solid dome headed bolt type thing that held the black roof on, took ages to get it apart, unlike Coyote which had ali rivets.
Got the floor pan cut out and removed and made the mounts to mount to chassis
Fixed the body to the chassis with original posts with speed clips.
Just waiting on new rims and tires to arrive, will be using the same as Coyote's.
sorted out the action man and passenger ready to start converting them over to take pan/tilt on driver, and waving arm and a waving arm and turning head for passenger.

Grand kids gave the chassis a good work out this morning thrashing it round the back lawn and are looking forward to watching progress on this build..

Jun 18, 2017, 09:23 AM

FPV Tonka Summit

Quote:
Installed the Nagoya on the tx and moved the receiver up high on the truck with monopoles oriented correctly. Made it about the same distance as last time (1/2 block) before it lost control and ramped a curb. I think I'm done with ezuhf, it's a shame i'm 200 bucks into the tx, rx and antennas. Something has to be seriously wrong somewhere, I've watched too many videos of people flying 10 miles on the same setup and although I'm using it on the ground when I'm on a open road with nothing in between I expect to be able to go a lot further than a few hundred feet.

That sucks big time, my Rlink kit on 433 MHz low power setting gives me 4 times more that the 2.4 Futaba kit plus better penetration through obstacles. With an antenna tracker i get even further. In the air I can get 3k from 2.4 kit. It may be that you have a source of 433 MHz in your immediate area. Here in the U.K. It would be hospitals, police comms towers, one maybe even electricity sub stations. One flying site I used to use years back used to get hit by a data stream from a gas flow monitoring station about 4 times a day. Even now I can get my video stream killed by a local hospital
Last edited by BigTradioman; Jun 18, 2017 at 09:32 AM.
Jun 18, 2017, 09:44 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfirekid
started pulling the Tonka body apart today, on this one they had used a solid dome headed bolt type thing that held the black roof on, took ages to get it apart, unlike Coyote which had ali rivets.
Got the floor pan cut out and removed and made the mounts to mount to chassis
Fixed the body to the chassis with original posts with speed clips.
Just waiting on new rims and tires to arrive, will be using the same as Coyote's.
sorted out the action man and passenger ready to start converting them over to take pan/tilt on driver, and waving arm and a waving arm and turning head for passenger.

Grand kids gave the chassis a good work out this morning thrashing it round the back lawn and are looking forward to watching progress on this build..

Good to see that you are at it again.........I will follow it with interest........
Jun 20, 2017, 06:33 AM
A little more progress tonight, i threaded in m5 stainless bolts into the black roof pillars for mounting it to the body, this is the same method i used for Coyote. i just have to cut off heads now as i use wing nuts which makes it easy to remove etc

got some more work done on the driver, he now has a waving arm and a pan/tilt set up , i used his neck captivity to mount the pan servo so the camera sits forward allowing a good 180% view all round, hot glue needs to be cleaned up now with a hot knife as you will see, and then he should nearly be done other than finishing his other arm which mounts on steering wheel .

i added a photo of the power plant of the new beast, three fans to keep everything cool , i know it needs a clean, havent had a chance after the grand kids were thrashing it round the back lawn over the weekend.... but wow it can really boogie, i think its going to be a very fast Tonka..
Jun 21, 2017, 11:53 PM
The Frsky L9R receivers arrived today. After six hours of trial and error and researching I figured out the internal XJT module in the Taranis QX7 had a version of firmware that does not play nice with LR12 protocol. Flashed new firmware to get the rx and tx talking and then got the esc liking it and made a Y cable for the steering servos. The used EZOSD I picked up on ebay arrived today too and looks good but I'll wait till the new vtx's show up to play more with that. I have a Runcam HD 2 sitting here waiting to be the new eyes for fpv and do the recording too. The stampede 4x4 arrived and I drove it about 5 minutes. If the L9R range test goes well on the erevo then I have another L9R waiting to go on the stampede. I put the night vision system off the Trailfinder onto a wood platform I made for the erevo and ran it the other night and had a cat following it around from a distance so I waited for it to come looking for it and sent him back down the street (a little four legged revenge for "rockape"). If I can remember how to embed a video I'll put the cat video here in this post. When I zip tied the temporary night vision platform down on the erevo, the rear zip ties were not around anything connected solid to the chassis (oops) and I ended up with a little vibration in the camera at speed as the platform moved around.

While it appears there is bright light on the front of the truck, there is a 850nm infrared spot light up there. The fpv camera on top of it is a runcam owl that sees infrared, and the recording camera has been modified to see infrared too but not nearly as well as the fpv camera does as it is onlu .01 lux I think, and the fpv camera is .0001 lux.

FPV Traxxas Erevo With Night Vision Encounters Stalker Cat (0 min 49 sec)
Last edited by lifeatredline76; Jun 22, 2017 at 12:01 AM.
Jun 23, 2017, 02:39 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
The Frsky L9R receivers arrived today. After six hours of trial and error and researching I figured out the internal XJT module in the Taranis QX7 had a version of firmware that does not play nice with LR12 protocol. Flashed new firmware to get the rx and tx talking and then got the esc liking it and made a Y cable for the steering servos. The used EZOSD I picked up on ebay arrived today too and looks good but I'll wait till the new vtx's show up to play more with that. I have a Runcam HD 2 sitting here waiting to be the new eyes for fpv and do the recording too. The stampede 4x4 arrived and I drove it about 5 minutes. If the L9R range test goes well on the erevo then I have another L9R waiting to go on the stampede. I put the night vision system off the Trailfinder onto a wood platform I made for the erevo and ran it the other night and had a cat following it around from a distance so I waited for it to come looking for it and sent him back down the street (a little four legged revenge for "rockape"). If I can remember how to embed a video I'll put the cat video here in this post. When I zip tied the temporary night vision platform down on the erevo, the rear zip ties were not around anything connected solid to the chassis (oops) and I ended up with a little vibration in the camera at speed as the platform moved around.

While it appears there is bright light on the front of the truck, there is a 850nm infrared spot light up there. The fpv camera on top of it is a runcam owl that sees infrared, and the recording camera has been modified to see infrared too but not nearly as well as the fpv camera does as it is onlu .01 lux I think, and the fpv camera is .0001 lux.

https://youtu.be/sX31c-c9PDI
Nice one !! With the cat........payback time.........

Hopefully you have sorted out the uhf range........
Jun 23, 2017, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Nice one !! With the cat........payback time.........

Hopefully you have sorted out the uhf range........
After taking the laptop through the neighborhood running the spectrum analyzer in immersionrc tools and seeing that the UHF band is trashed with interference around here, I ordered a couple Frsky L9R long range receivers. Last night I tested one out on the Erevo and I went waaaaay beyond the stock radio system range. I will have to find a safe spot to test the ultimate range as I only had a two block stretch last night to work with and it covered that easily and surprising enough the 200mw 5.8ghz video feed held up fine on stock duckies. I have a 600mw vtx for it but might not need it except for getting through trees and such.
Jun 23, 2017, 03:17 PM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
Quote:
After taking the laptop through the neighborhood running the spectrum analyzer in immersionrc tools and seeing that the UHF band is trashed with interference around here, I ordered a couple Frsky L9R long range receivers. Last night I tested one out on the Erevo and I went waaaaay beyond the stock radio system range. I will have to find a safe spot to test the ultimate range as I only had a two block stretch last night to work with and it covered that easily and surprising enough the 200mw 5.8ghz video feed held up fine on stock duckies. I have a 600mw vtx for it but might not need it except for getting through trees and such.
The Frsky L9R is 2.4ghz, isn't it?........I'm afraid that it and the 5.8ghz 600mw VTx are not going to help once you get trees, houses and anything else solid, detween you and the truck.........line of sight, they should be good for 1/2 mile plus........maybe even 1 mile.........but stick a few trees in there and you could be down to a few hundred feet........sorry, but I've been through this......
Have you tried switching the UHF frequency and testing to see if a different one gets rid of the interference?........or tested it in a different location??