This thread is privately moderated by Dora Nine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 03, 2010, 03:41 PM
The sky is my playground.
Thread OP
Discussion

End of the season float flying..

This morning, a buddy of mine and I hit my favorite lake to get in some end of the season float flying. Both of us have similar setups on our Hobby Zone Super cubs: E-Flite Park 480 1020KV motors, with motor mounts from: http://www.customrcparts.com/ stock type servos, Electricfly ESC's. Our radios are differ though, he flies on 72mHz and myself on the 2.4 gHz.

As you might imagine, the Park 480 is extreme over kill in the power department, that being said, we wouldn't have it any other way. Take-off's with wheels can be done in very short order (3-4 feet) and with floats around 5 feet. (See pics below for demonstration of such capability.) Flight times if being conservative with the throttle can be stretched to atleast 20 min. Vertical is near unlimited, and one of these days, I'll get a pic of my Cub hovering (yep, it can do that).

Anway, I hope you enjoy the pics.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2010, 05:06 PM
Real Time Recon
Looking good
Nov 03, 2010, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, and here's a few more pics. This time, my buddies plane.
Nov 04, 2010, 04:22 AM
really beautiful place?where is it?is a scenic spot?
Nov 04, 2010, 04:26 AM
the water is so clean,the sky is so blue...no garbage seeing....
Nov 04, 2010, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
We were flying at Merry Meeting Lake in New Durham, New Hampshire. I do believe it's known as NH's cleanest lake.
Nov 04, 2010, 07:59 AM
Real Time Recon
Hey leave them floats on.Great in snow/ice
Nov 04, 2010, 08:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
Hey leave them floats on.Great in snow/ice
I'm looking forward to that.
Nov 07, 2010, 03:11 PM
Helis & Floatplanes
Absolutely awesome photos Dora Nine!
Looks a lot like my neighborhood, but 3,000 or so miles away.
Ray
Nov 08, 2010, 11:08 AM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Awesome pictures! I never get tired of seeing pictures of these Super Cubs on floats...it's just so natural to see a Cub on floats.

One of these days I'll upgrade my SC to brushless. I hate to fix what ain't broke though!

Andy
(more cool Super Cub on floats pics in my review...check my blog page for the link)
Nov 08, 2010, 11:09 AM
Just noticed Ray's post here...he posted some pics in my thread that are really great. Amazing scenery for float planes in his neck of the woods!

Andy
Nov 08, 2010, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
Yeah gotta love the cub on floats look. I must say, I'm a pretty big fan. Ifyou take a spin through the rest of my blog, you'll see a few other pics and planes.

I have to admit though, for a simple trainer plane, this thing is a lot of fun to fly. I am currently working on flaps. I have the short take off, all set, but I working on the "or landing" part.
Nov 08, 2010, 03:20 PM
Do you agree that the Super Cub lands easier on the floats than the wheels? I was pleasantly surprised since the Cub was my first float experience. I don't think it can get more fun than float-flying with the Super Cub.

Curious about your wingtips. Did you clip them for any particular reason? I may do that because of some of the chunks missing!
Nov 09, 2010, 09:53 AM

Some info Please

Could you Please tell me what your complete set up is as far as motor, motor mount if there is a specific part number, ESC & what amp, and what battery are you using. Thank You Very Much, PJ.H.

Quick Reply