Phoenix (Phantom) 6010 3ch micro coax with gyro - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 09, 2010, 06:20 AM
Crash expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
At less than $20 delivered, I just don't know why anyone would prefer a more expensive S107.
Spare parts, perhaps? As a beginner, I wouldn't want a heli that didn't have spare parts available, unless parts from some other one fit this too.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2010, 06:24 AM
Master Of My Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldFart
Spare parts, perhaps? As a beginner, I wouldn't want a heli that didn't have spare parts available, unless parts from some other one fit this too.
The spare parts you requested sir

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6010-RC-Helico...item5195e6fd32
Nov 09, 2010, 10:32 AM
I just ordered a Phoenix... now the wait for cross-country shipping!

I know spare parts can be a necessity at times, but even after flying my 6 current heli's (and that included learning from scratch!) for months now I've never broken anything! I've had some pretty hard crashes while learning and then later while trying to push the envelope, without crippling any of them.
So I don't think it's as big an issue as I imagined it would be when starting out.
Nov 09, 2010, 11:27 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldFart
This one is so cheap, when you order a few spare parts you pay the same as for a second heli. Even on the S107 or a little more expensive FP like the Solo Pro I tend to go for a few extra helis, BnF when available, and rarely bother about spare parts.
Nov 09, 2010, 11:43 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro
This one is so cheap, when you order a few spare parts you pay the same as for a second heli. Even on the S107 or a little more expensive FP like the Solo Pro I tend to go for a few extra helis, BnF when available, and rarely bother about spare parts.

EXACTLY! That's why I treat cheap 3 channel toy helis as disposable and have others to play with. If and when they wear out or just stop working because of the junkie electronics they are built with, I just retire them to the parts bin or they get a ride on the trap thrower to be dusted by a 12 gauge 3 and 1/4 dram 1 1/8oz #8 shot load from my Browning Citori. . PULL!.............BLAMMMO!
Nov 09, 2010, 11:47 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Doubletap, I think we think alike. You might like this vid
Those are "Wounded Warriors" from Walter Reed Hospital doing the shooting.
Foam plane vs. Paintball Gun!!!! (8 min 30 sec)
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 14, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
Nov 09, 2010, 12:06 PM

Way Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic
Doubletap, I think we think alike.
You might like this vid
Those are "Wounded Warriors" from Walter Reed Hospital doing the shooting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfo1lKhqDbE

HOHO!!!! HAHA!!!! Right on Brutha! And nice shootin' there by our wounded servicemen, getting some well deserved R &R. They ripped up that foamie real good , those paintballs mostly went straight through the airframe!

OT, sorry.
Last edited by Doubletap; Nov 10, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Nov 09, 2010, 07:30 PM
Now I want one of those foamies!! Dang internet!
Nov 09, 2010, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63
Now I want one of those foamies!! Dang internet!

HA HA!.......Although I love helis, I've been flying all sorts of planes for almost 40 years now; just take a peak at my blog.
Nov 09, 2010, 08:18 PM
Crash expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro
$1.56 for all 4 blades or $1.31 for a balance bar for the S107 doesn't even come close to the cost of a new one. I can't consider a $27 heli as disposable. I'm guessing a lot of people agree or there would be no market for spares. Perhaps spare parts is not a consideration for someone with lots of experience, but beginners are going to crash a lot.
Nov 09, 2010, 09:57 PM
ho ho whoa...
Jeez.. finally watched that demo video.. the guy kicks the crap out of the thing. lol. and it just hovers fine each time.. my cats were beating up on my 9098 and 9008 tonight.. they seemed to take the abuse just fine also.. my 6010 comes tomorrow..
Nov 10, 2010, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzgig
Jeez.. finally watched that demo video.. the guy kicks the crap out of the thing. lol.
Yeah, and that's in the most literal sense too. I couldn't believe how much he was abusing the thing and it kept flying. I'm glad that I ordered the 6010 for my kids. Hopefully they can take the same amount of abuse that the guy in that video dished out.
Nov 10, 2010, 02:22 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombyx
This demonstrator is not kind with the Phantom 6010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJr5mYVdtcs

It is amazing how the little bird survives the torture.
At one point I imagine the heli thinking: "you just wait till I get a chance to tie your 'landing gear' in a knot, you big bully!"

Amazing what this little bird can take...
Nov 11, 2010, 11:54 AM
Upstanding Member

review/comparison with S107

Just received 4 of these from Xheli.
Pretty cool to see how they are trimming more and more weight off of these little guys.
The Phantom 6010 has probably half-again as many screws as the S107, and there is very little actual metal in the chassis. Super light means super succeptible to room drafts and ground effects though!

After 2 flights I can argue that the S107 is worth $7 more, but can also see myself having many, many fun flights with this $20 guy.

Some pro/con thoughts compared to the S107:
+ Nice idea having the USB charger light red while charging, green when finished but it seems the green LED on my first one is dead so it'll be the opposite as the S107/6020/6025 in that when the red LED goes out it's 'done'.
+ more lifting power (due to lightness)
+ quicker pirouettes, but a little abrupt in starting/stopping/finely controlling
+ apparently it's even tougher than the S107
+ 3 available frequencies (vs. 2)
+ easy to remove from packaging, none of those twisty ties
+ $20 vs $27

- tail rotor is not very predictable to control. Have to give it some stick to get it spinning, then when you release it it takes several seconds to 'run down'. Doesn't give you a shot of reverse like the S107 to stop in it's tracks.
- S107 construction is prettier with higher quality materials. Yes the S107 is heavier and more expensive, but so is a Mercedes S class compared to a Hyundai Genesis. The S107 just exudes a higher level of design, quality and flying precision overall.

+/- different sounding in flight, almost a whistling. But smooth and relatively quiet
+/- 'turbo' button is an interesting gimmick, but I'd rather just have full power availble at full stick
+/- no throttle spring from factory. I actually prefer this, but it's not hard to remove them and some may like a sprung throttle.

So I'll give out the 3 Phantoms at X-Mas and I'm sure my dad/bro/nephew will love them, but I will feel a bit like I cheaped out...
Last edited by Kurt; Nov 11, 2010 at 02:35 PM.
Nov 11, 2010, 12:02 PM
Upstanding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
it's not too difficult really, I just reach up with my pointer finger " trigger finger" and depress it, doesn't really disrupt your operation of the the yaw control too much. I find it easy to do while maintaining full control of all 3 channels.

gonna have to disagree with you there tappy.
Unless you've got baby hands the accell button is a reach down and makes working the thumb lever awkward at best, carpal tunnel inducing at worst.
It's a neat idea but a gimmick I won't miss on my other 3-channels (although the dummy index-finger buttons on the S107 are better located for this).