Hobby King EPP FPV plane - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Nov 15, 2010, 02:37 PM
Sam in Virginia
sverlander's Avatar
Yes, thanks very much for the video and flight report. I should be getting mine in time for Thanksgiving, Just glad it didn't turn out to be a turkey.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2010, 04:47 PM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sverlander
Yes, thanks very much for the video and flight report. I should be getting mine in time for Thanksgiving, Just glad it didn't turn out to be a turkey.
Thu, Nov 25, 2010 ..... that's not to far away .....
Nov 15, 2010, 05:22 PM
Registered User
Thanks for the video and info Hobie, I ordered one myself, but still in doubt on which motor to get. Maybe 1800 kv is too much?
Nov 15, 2010, 09:11 PM
KJ6BFN
henkvdw's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum
Thanks for the video and info Hobie, I ordered one myself, but still in doubt on which motor to get. Maybe 1800 kv is too much?
Depends on the diameter of the prop and the cell count.
How big a prop will fit?
Are you planning to use 3S?
Nov 16, 2010, 02:17 AM
Registered User
Hi Henk,

yes, 3s 2200 battery and a 10x4 prop.
I want stabilty and some speed, I like to chase other planes while filming them :-)

So maybe 1400kv or 1800kv, I dont know :S
Nov 16, 2010, 02:49 AM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum
Thanks for the video and info Hobie, I ordered one myself, but still in doubt on which motor to get. Maybe 1800 kv is too much?
Personally I would go with 1000 to 1400 Kv ..... it's not a big investment to try something higher I guess so its really up to you ......

I feel you don't want to turn this plane into a screamer ...... I have a hot(ish) Easystar ....... 2200 Kv and a lot of watts but is sure wakes up the neigbouthood ....
Nov 16, 2010, 03:13 AM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
I didn't tell you about the 4th flight ..... after feeling so good about the first 3 flights I sent up my Canon A560 Compact ...... it gives a far better picture of the FPV possibilities ...... the camera mount was something I had made up for use on another plane so it's not ideal but it fitted ...... anyway, here we go .... 4th flight ever of my Hobby King EPP FPV ..... go baby! .....

Hobby king EPP FPV Camera on board 14/11/10 (8 min 54 sec)
Nov 16, 2010, 04:46 AM
Registered User
total weight of your setup?
and where are you from? nice place to fly!!!

Thanks
Nov 16, 2010, 05:03 AM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan IV
total weight of your setup?
and where are you from? nice place to fly!!!

Thanks
1570g all up .....

215g camera .....

3300 3 cell lipo at 275g ....

I now have an extra 50g ballast in the nose

Location ? ...... an Island out in the north Atlantic .....

It's not always so nice and friendly up on these slopes ...... after my eight EPP FPV flights I sent up my Flyparty Eagle for the last flight of the day ....... it loves these slopes and I've been flying it for three years ...... and then Sunday, nearly disaster ..... this video tells the tale .....

Eagle in Tipperary (12 min 4 sec)
Last edited by hobie14; Nov 16, 2010 at 05:17 AM.
Nov 16, 2010, 05:20 AM
Registered User
great location!!!

thanks very much!!!!

i've bought the same plane and i'm still waiting...
i will use this motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4916
and 4000 3s
50 amp esc
4.8 nicd pack
this system OSd and stabilization
http://www.fpvflying.com/products/RC...-RTH-unit.html
Two cameras
one zoom camera with pan/til
http://www.fpvflying.com/products/10...PV-camera.html
and one 5v fixed camera under a wing
tiny telemetry for antenna tracker
http://www.electronicarc.com/catalog...6234950a6161a4
and a colibri tx 2.4 500mW

but i think your motor is better and more efficient...
but i hope this plane can handle all the think i want to put inside it
Nov 16, 2010, 05:37 AM
Registered User
hobie14's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan IV
great location!!!

thanks very much!!!!

i've bought the same plane and i'm still waiting...
i will use this motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4916
and 4000 3s
50 amp esc
4.8 nicd pack
this system OSd and stabilization
http://www.fpvflying.com/products/RC...-RTH-unit.html
Two cameras
one zoom camera with pan/til
http://www.fpvflying.com/products/10...PV-camera.html
and one 5v fixed camera under a wing
tiny telemetry for antenna tracker
http://www.electronicarc.com/catalog...6234950a6161a4
and a colibri tx 2.4 500mW

but I think your motor is better and more efficient...
but i hope this plane can handle all the think i want to put inside it
let us know how you get on with that motor ..... I'm sure it will be fine and that the plane will accomodate all your gear ...... there is a lot of space in the Fuse and a big wing to carry it ....... I wonder if the stabilization gear is necessary ...... you could try both ways and let us know how the plane differs in performance ....

I dont fly FPV right now but I hope to soon and that this plane will be my introduction to this type of flying .... in the mean time I think it will be a great fixed camera platform for me ....
Nov 16, 2010, 09:31 PM
Registered User
P.I.Engineer's Avatar
i'd love to get at least a 40 min flight on a 4400 battery with this plane, i'm curious to what your current draw is at half throttle with the turnigy 35-36a(i have a c in my aj slick, great motor)
Nov 17, 2010, 12:51 AM
KJ6BFN
henkvdw's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtum
Hi Henk,

yes, 3s 2200 battery and a 10x4 prop.
I want stabilty and some speed, I like to chase other planes while filming them :-)

So maybe 1400kv or 1800kv, I dont know :S
1800 kV is probably to high for a 10x4E prop on 3S.
Depending on the size of the motor, I would look in the 1250 to 1400 kV range.
If the plane is going to be lighter ~1500g, this will probably work:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8504 kV a little low
or this:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8505 kV a little to high

With a AUW around 2000g you may want to consider this:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2140

Look at the manufacturer's ratings on the motor for a 10x4 prop on 3S and make sure not to exceed.
Nov 17, 2010, 02:56 AM
Suspended Account
Thanks Hobie14, great stuff. wish my flying field looked like that!
Nov 17, 2010, 03:38 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdw
1800 kV is probably to high for a 10x4E prop on 3S.
Depending on the size of the motor, I would look in the 1250 to 1400 kV range.
If the plane is going to be lighter ~1500g, this will probably work:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8504 kV a little low
or this:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8505 kV a little to high

With a AUW around 2000g you may want to consider this:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2140

Look at the manufacturer's ratings on the motor for a 10x4 prop on 3S and make sure not to exceed.

Thanks for the links and info Henk!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! how to fix this hobby king plane gazza2003au Australia 29 Mar 16, 2011 12:16 AM
Discussion Hobby King New FPV plane bignose13 FPV Aircraft 141 Nov 24, 2010 02:04 AM
Discussion New EPP FPV plane catamar FPV Aircraft 9 Oct 12, 2010 06:29 PM
Discussion Hobby King FPV help! Polarity for RX? Rooster433 FPV Talk 6 Oct 10, 2010 08:24 PM
Discussion Hobby King Christen Eagle Aerobatic Micro plane EPP Kit w/ Motor & ESC TopFoam Micro Ready-to-Fly 3 Apr 18, 2010 07:00 PM