Jun 21, 2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice555
yea, so would I. I'm grounded until i hear something concrete
I can't work that out, I haven't touched mine at all. I pitch up when applying throttle (makes sense as airspeed increases) and the motor looks to be mounted pretty much parallel with the fuse.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2012, 06:15 PM
Moving the CG forward did help a little. I'm gonna get some batteries for incedence meter before I change thrust line. It looks parallel now but if the wing incedence are equal I.ll try adding a washer on the bottom mount screw thereby angeling the thrust line downward causing the plane to pitch upwards, Right?
Jun 21, 2012, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnapa
I'd hate to say it man, but it looks as though its not the plane that was the issue here. I've now seen you destroy two of these planes in pretty quick succession and are now probably over the whole thing, as I would be.

To be honest, I think you were rushing into it way too quick. The reason I know this is because I used to do EXACTLY the same thing. I just wanted to get up and flying ASAP. The problem with that is I tended to overlook really important crash enducing aspects of the build, setup, and testing.

I could go into a million reasons why you could have avoided that crash, post- mortem, as most people do, but the key is, to avoid the crash happening before it does. Otherwise, this becomes a very expensive hobby and you want out pretty quick after that.

It sucks I know, but our main goal is to not have people go at this hobby like a bull in a china shop and to learn from OUR mistakes, not theirs. As for home building...I wouldn't know where to start cos even I have no idea!

Good luck anyways JG.
Oh no, the build was great! I had Cyclopse Nova OSD with RTH on the plane. I got 4-5 great flights with it before I mounted my FPV gear, then got 4 more good flights with the exception of the Nova acting up. Several times while in RTH mode, the plane would go into a sporadic straight down nose dive. Im guessing the GPS glitching. Anyways, this last time, the plane dove while running full throttle and I was hands off on the controller, letting the RTH do its thing. When it dove, I cut the throttle and before I could get the RTH turned off, Im assuming it finally realized it was diving and tried to pull up, but it was moving way too fast and the force on the wings, sheared the bolt head off that holds the wings on. I litterally mean sheared it off. The plane was at about 100 feet at this point. The fuselage came crashing down and the wing floated off about a hundred yards away. I say I assume it was trying to pull up, becasue I hadnt put any input in yet as I was fumbling to turn off the RTH switch. Im definately confident in the build I did. It flew 100% solid while it wasnt on RTH. My issue was simply the OSD malfunctioning. I did all of my pre flight checks and did all of my calibrations with the plane and OSD. This was just a repetitive issue. Others have had this proble with this OSD as well, however they have been lucky like I was the first three times it did it to mine. 4th time was a charm. I may eventually get another EPP, but I got to wait till the payday. Ill be keeping up with you guys.
Jun 21, 2012, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th
Moving the CG forward did help a little. I'm gonna get some batteries for incedence meter before I change thrust line. It looks parallel now but if the wing incedence are equal I.ll try adding a washer on the bottom mount screw thereby angeling the thrust line downward causing the plane to pitch upwards, Right?
What pitch is your prop? Mine tried to nose down with a 10x7.5 so i backed it down to a 10x6 and it stopped
Jun 21, 2012, 10:53 PM
Wats the worst that can happen
ahhh. why didnt you guys tell me there's an inclinometer for the android phones.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...inometer&hl=en
holding out on me, eh?
Now I can measure the incidence levels.
I measured almost precisely the same levels as comparing the wing and tail. i compared both angles - leading edge incidence, and trailing edge incidence (not sure of correct terminology here).
so my guess at the number of credit cards to place at the trailing edge seemed to be spot on by some miracle.

since i had such a rough time angling down my motor last time, i have gone the other direction, and angled it upwards - prop lower than the rear of the motor.
wish me luck this time. the frame cant take much more punishment. i've already needed to reenforce the CF boom as the rear of the plane was wagging like a dog's tail after my last attempt.
Last edited by TheCure; Jun 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Jun 22, 2012, 02:45 AM
JG,
10x5.. don't see how prop pitch could affect plane pitch but I'm listening.
Juice,
Sweet app, I have used the level on my Android to set incedence before but it's the grip of the wing that the device needs to give consistent data. I'm inspired to do a a comparison with my laser meter.
Last edited by picard10th; Jun 22, 2012 at 02:58 AM.
Jun 22, 2012, 09:17 AM
usual old know-it-all
Heres abit of vid. of our EPP planes.
one FPV and the other with a camera facing rear..
ours fly great..30 min.+ flights on a 5300mah 3 cell bat.

FPV and LOS EPP planes (6 min 12 sec)
Last edited by brodjack; Jun 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: video was crashing..
Jun 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
i also have a downward pitch when i give throttle input, im running a 9x6 prop. going to prop up to a 9x6 3 blade and try a 10x6 also
Jun 24, 2012, 02:20 PM
Added downthrust and it did help. 2mm at bottom and 1.6mm sides. might add another mm at bottom. Also considering smoothing over the wood under horizontal stab. Maybe tape to stop turbulence. Anyone tried this?
Jun 24, 2012, 10:11 PM
Ok, I'm done. That POS EPP FPV sucks a$$.
I should have cut my losses before I invested all this time into it.

I got it in the air again, and was flying ok in the wind. I decided to try full throttle and determine if my genius pitch adjustment did the trick. Well, what I suddenly remembered as the plane was in an unrecoverable death spiral was it wasnt the throttle that caused the downward tilted lawn dart tendency, but instead was simply speed. Increased throttle mearly gave the frame the speed it needed to quash my unbridled enthusiasm once again.
The frame is repairable no doubt...but my EPP FPV aspiration are not. So, if anyone local would like a free airframe that needs a little TLC, its yours.

I would like to buy a similarly sized plane that i can use the same hardware on. i.e. skywalker. Since FPV is new to me, I'd like a plane that flys VERY easily that I don't have to fight like this POS I've dealt with. Perhaps a large wing ~2m with dihedral, ailerons, elevator, rudder.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Jun 25, 2012, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure

I got it in the air again, and was flying ok in the wind. I decided to try full throttle and determine if my genius pitch adjustment did the trick. Well, what I suddenly remembered as the plane was in an unrecoverable death spiral was it wasnt the throttle that caused the downward tilted lawn dart tendency, but instead was simply speed. Increased throttle mearly gave the frame the speed it needed to quash my unbridled enthusiasm once again.
The frame is repairable no doubt...but my EPP FPV aspiration are not. So, if anyone local would like a free airframe that needs a little TLC, its yours.

I would like to buy a similarly sized plane that i can use the same hardware on. i.e. skywalker. Since FPV is new to me, I'd like a plane that flys VERY easily that I don't have to fight like this POS I've dealt with. Perhaps a large wing ~2m with dihedral, ailerons, elevator, rudder.
If you really want to change planes you could look at the Storm Chaser (the Pod version) from crashtesthobby.com ...... video below will give you an idea of LOS flying ........ (it's a first test flight so excuse the length of video)

my EPP FPV has never let me down so it will stay in my fleet .....

storm chaser test flight (14 min 33 sec)
Jun 25, 2012, 10:22 PM
go ahead and try
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure

Had two EPP FPV's , lost one in the bush due to a tip stall... Tried the Raptor 1600 and I am now not flying the EPP as often... The raptor also comes in 2m version.

I don't live in BC, but I will pay for you to ship what is left to Ontario, if it isn't too far gone... Send me a pic or two
Last edited by simplyfly; Jun 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: making an offer...
Jun 26, 2012, 12:11 AM
I bought the new 1900 Skywalker last night. I liked the similarity to the EPP, but feel the skywalker has won where the EPP failed in terms of the solid tail boom (no wag hopefully), high mount horiz. stab (no ripped of tail on landings), and a more pleasing slick dense foam.
I didn't see a 2M raptor at the time, plus I was hesitant on the composite construction, and more limited cargo area.
hope my internet impressions don't fail me. This is my first attempt into FPV, and really need a no-fuss platform to builld my experience. I don't want my investment to come crashing down because of a poorly designed feame.

I've had the unused equipment waiting for a few months now, and am anxious to get it up in the air.
Jun 26, 2012, 12:13 AM
i've had a few inquiries about the frame (no included electronics of course).
i don't mind shipping if i have to...however the wings are glued together, so finding a 2m box maybe a challenge as well as shipping costs.
i'll look into it
Last edited by TheCure; Jun 27, 2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: pics added
Jul 09, 2012, 03:49 PM
go ahead and try
Made some more mods to the EPP ... So far I have:

Replaced foam hinges with mylar.
Replaced elevator with flat sheet balsa.
Replaced Ailerons with balsa, added flaps.

Reinforced fuse laterally, adding fuse lenght carbon spars embedded into the fuse on both sides. They also support and stabilize the landing gear, and extend out o join the tail boom, reducing flex at the joint.

A center wood spar in embedded the length of the fuse, extending past the mount for the tail boom.

Reinforced motor mount with light ply, joining the upper and lower parts of the fuse below the motor mount.

Inserted bamboo shoots and Popsicle sticks into the fuse to make shelving for the equipment. light ply on the top of the fuse, at the wing joint, strengthen the fuse horizontally.

Why did I do all this you ask???? because flying the EPP in moderate winds, with 2.8Kg AUW is like trying to fly a limp noodle... everything flexes, and dynamic inputs are often met with unpredictable results!!!!

Quick Reply