Nov 01, 2010, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

FatShark Base Edition or Headplay?

I know this issue has been beaten to death. But i reposted this because i believe the 2010 versions of both goggles are different.

Headplay - I've read about alot of quality issues but a friend of mine just received his and the quality seems fine. The resolution is visibly better than an old set of Fatsharks i've tried

Fatshark - I have not tried the updated 2010 version, which is the version i am curious about. How much better is it? It is alot cheaper than Headplay which is what excites me.

Thanks guys
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2010, 10:11 PM
Suspended Account
fatshark is much better
Nov 01, 2010, 10:18 PM
Crashy McLandington
Why is that? Most people say the image quality is inferior to Headplay. Haven't tried 'em both myself, have you?
Nov 01, 2010, 10:30 PM
Suspended Account
without clipping and pasteing my previous posts lol
bad joke

simply because the headplays go black screen and need reboot when video is poor
and headplays are not erginomic and heavy and bulky

fatsharks really are hangar resistant, light, simple to set up, dimmer control is easy to assess instantly when needed, etc.
edit ya i have tried both as well as the orrigional goggles Rv sold
they were or are good but very fragile and need modification and more manual adjustment on the face
Nov 01, 2010, 11:11 PM
Crashy McLandington
You must have had a bum set of Headplays. I have a couple and none have gone black screen or needed reboot with poor signal. They freeze when signal disappears completely such as plane onboard power failure (ouch) but mine always showed static or other signal problems without freezing.
Nov 02, 2010, 12:05 AM
Suspended Account
Ya i had two pairs of headplay that were not good to me.

Try turning off your video tx as a worse case senerio for loss of video signal and let me know what shows up on your goggles as you turn on your video tx

with your tv or dvr then try the same experiemnt
Nov 02, 2010, 01:09 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys, Appreciate the feedback. Has anyone had the revised 2010 RCV922s so far
Nov 02, 2010, 01:22 AM
Addicted to FPV
I did days of research and decided on getting a headplay. For the most part it seem like most people were satisfied with the headplays. The only thing that made me worried was the connector being weak. The solution to that is running the cable out of a case and not messing with the cable.
Nov 02, 2010, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22

Try turning off your video tx as a worse case senerio for loss of video signal and let me know what shows up on your goggles as you turn on your video tx

VTX on, headplay on, laptop + pinnacle recorder on. Good image on all.

VTX off, headplay shows static for a second then blue screen, laptop shows static.

VTX on, headplay instantly shows image, laptop instantly shows image. Good framerate, etc on all.

The headplays have problems with PAL on earlier firmwares, and for NTSC you -have- to be on 1.18 or they have the same problems PAL inputs have later. Not a good thing, but imho worth the select-the-right-firmware hassle it for the see-able image.

dblnaknak: The cable is indeed weak, but as long as you don't abuse it (yank it off trying to hand launch, knock the box off a table with it connected, or deal roughly with it), it will last a long time. My first set has been through roughly 400 flights so far and is still fine.
Nov 02, 2010, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22

I´ve only experimented that problem when the signal dissapear as you say turning off the vtx but, how many times are you going to suffer such a bad glitch in flight? And if it happens, it´s less than 2 seconds to restart the goggles

It´s a problem, I agree, but there´s no goggles problems free. Fatshark distort the image, the colors are quite bad, and you can loose the colors completely watching a b/w image. And this is with no mention to the picture quality difference, wich is night and day.

Headplay has better picture than any kopin based goggles of 34º (ivision, r-vision...), and any kopin based goggles of 34º have MUCH better picture than the Fatshark, so Headplay and Fatshark can´t be compared here, they´re different leagues

A friend of mine have ordered a composite->vga converter to see if it solves the Headplay problem. If it solves it this will be the best option by far, best pictures witout any problem
Nov 02, 2010, 04:57 AM
Questionable judgement
I have both. The fatshark are far better for fpv usage. Headplays are better for watching p0rn. lol
Nov 02, 2010, 05:33 AM
Would you think the same if the headplay don´t have the low fps problem?

I wonder what people consider "better". It´s a display to watch video, and the images shown are of noticeable lower quality, so better??? Why???

And please, don´t tell me about the sunshade.....
Nov 02, 2010, 05:48 AM
Questionable judgement
For me I am willing to lose a bit of quality for the convenience, reliability and comfort of the fatshark. I turn them on and instantly I see my fpv picture.

I am using the 2010 version with integrated 2.4 rx. Not sure if there is any other change aside from the rx.

My set has a very good picture with good color. btw
Nov 02, 2010, 06:18 AM
Suspended Account
I bought the headplay on Bracky's recomendation, he is for sure right that the fatsharks are way better for fpv.

Andre try a goggle search, bad joke, about the problems with headplays, there are many

2 seconds is a long time when video goes bad and you can't see

even when just useing an rc fpv car, let alone flying a fpv plane

Quick Reply