Updating a Dumas Star 30 - Page 7 - RC Groups
Mar 10, 2018, 08:47 AM
Hello Daniel

I didn't install the plastic sheet as a safe guard to fouling the sheets with all the electronics. Perhaps a mistake on my part. What I did was employ a couple of ceramic guides up under the bulkheads fore and aft of the hatch opening that so far seem to be keeping the sheets up and out of the way. Fingers are crossed that this will continue to be sufficient. I saw a photo of a similar situation where a tube was attached along the top of the keel box that looked like a simple method of containing the sheets and keep them from fouling. It looked simple yet effective. It might be an earlier post on this thread, I can't remember.

As an after thought to extending your sheet travel, I remembered that I solved a similar situation on my T 37 with the installation of a servos stretcher that I purchased from Servos City. It has three adjustments that set the inner and outer limits of travel as well as the centre point. It was a simple and inexpensive fix. I still like the Hitec 765 but the servos stretcher is a very good alternative, especially when you have already made up all your servos mounts and all. I have enclosed a couple of photos of a servos stretcher that I happen to have in my inventories, my hoard as my lovely wife calls it. This should give you an idea of size as it is staged on the deck of my unfinished second Star 30 model.

Some may feel that you don't need to be able to get all that travel on your sheets and that a broad reach is faster than a dead run, that is very true but I love watching my boat running wing and wing before the wind. It's just cool.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do. You are really going to love this boat. It is a very good sailing boat and a very impressive looking model. Yours is a fine looking boat. You should be proud of what you have built.

I hope to soon see photos of your boat out on the water.

to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2018, 04:55 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
Hi Daniel,

I made a 1/8" 1" Basswood plank that I wedged between the fore and aft bulkhead at either end of the servo compartment. It's not glued in, just wedged tightly. It seems to work fine preventing the sheets from fouling. Before I put that in, they would sometimes catch parts of the servos.

Mar 10, 2018, 05:17 PM
Good call Dale

KISS. This forum is packed with good ideas from experience. That is so simple I might have never thought of something like that.

I would be tripping over myself for a long time before I ever could come up with something like that.

Good One !

Mar 11, 2018, 03:52 AM
Thank you all for the great ideas and suggestions, now speaking of sheets and sails , I encountered another problem..dooh! Whoever sew the sheets that were in my kit really needs to take a proper course in sewing, the front leading of the jib sail its not to a very good standard, i will going to need some help from my better half.

And btw, how did you installed the jib boom to the front screw eye? Is it possible to remove the jib boom if it needs to? Because if if left the screw eye a little bit open then it might detach by its self so i need to close the screw eye on the jib. I was going to try and use some sheeting and use a knot.
Mar 11, 2018, 09:16 AM
Good luck with needle and thread Daniel. If you are unhappy with the sails provided in your kit the people at Dumas will help you out. I have dealt with them for ordering materials and sails and found them to be very obliging. It will probably be faster for you to facilitate this small repair on your own though. I did achieve the sewing badge when in Boy Scouts many years ago. Now the hardest part of sewing for me is getting the thread through the eye of the needle. My fingers are to fat and the eye of the needle too small.

The method of attachment for the jib boom and sail that I used is to attach a fishing swivel to the bottom of the boom with an eye screw and an eye screw that is slightly twisted open into the fore deck of the boat. If you twist the screw eye slightly sideways instead of widening the eye loop I think you will find that every thing will stay in place while you are sailing. I will try to find a photo to illustrate this a little better than my description.

You will have to enlarge these photos a fair bit to see the details of my arrangement.

Good luck

Quick Reply