Updating a Dumas Star 30 - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jul 12, 2017, 04:26 AM
Here are some photos of the plan sheet and of the opening in the luff groove of the mast I am making for my Star 30. I had a garage door incident with the original mast constructed from the kit provided parts and had to make up new pieces but it is pretty much the same.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2017, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Windypants
Here are some photos of the plan sheet and of the opening in the luff groove of the mast I am making for my Star 30. I had a garage door incident with the original mast constructed from the kit provided parts and had to make up new pieces but it is pretty much the same.
That's great Info! Thank you so much Captain the more photo's the better. I might try the same but I'm not keen in sewing the luff rope with the sail, I think I might try what phil did by using a snake tube inside the sail. I didn't started yet on the build because i didn't had much time but the first thing i want to do is to make a copy of the bulkheads and all the parts so if in need to built another I can scratch built another one, that would be fun.

I also forgot to mention that I'm from Malta, so If your not aware guys we are mostly surrounded by water ( sea water actually ) so I would like to now if the parts supplied like eye ends etc are good for this or if it's worth it to get other.

Many thanks again, and please if you would like to share more photo's of your star 30 pls do

Regards
Daniel.
Jul 12, 2017, 04:48 PM
Great to see this thread revived. I have a 30" Star that I built in the '80s. It still has the original cotton sails. It would sail much better with proper sails. I rigged it with single strand stainless fishing leader and brass turnbuckles attached to chainplates that are through bolted to the hull. It hasn't been sailed in years; probably still has the Kraft battery in it. I just got a new-to-me CR 914 in the water a couple of days ago and that made me want to get the Star going as well. I haven't sailed a full sized boat since Katrina. It was in the marina they kept showing on TV after the storm passed. . .
Jan 12, 2018, 01:57 PM

my dumas star 30

hello there!

i know It's an old thread, but i wanted to share my progress here as well and hoping also to get some extra advice. the dumas star 30 is turning out ok i think but I'm no pro in boat building. the kit wasn't as expected in terms of quality as the die cut parts weren't so great in terms of fitting but in the end i think it's getting there.

I made a few changes regarding the rudder, basically I've just change the shape of it to give it a more modern look sorta, the vacuum formed keel bulbs were only used as moulds to make leads bulbs so i had to narrow the actual stainless steel keel by about 10mm. I've recently received the sail servo ( Hitec HS-815BB ) which i didn't realised that it's huge and also it needs a separate battery of at least 2000mah as when unloaded it consumes 800mah so if someone has experience with this servo, pls chime in.

if anyone interested, i'm posting photo's of my progress at the modelboatmayhem website here:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...c,59523.0.html

Regards
Daniel
Jan 12, 2018, 04:58 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
That is a huge servo! My ancient Star 30 (1984 vintage) still has a functioning Dumas #3701 Sail Control Unit instead of a servo. The old unit had to be assembled. Now there's a #3702 that I believe comes assembled. Doesn't use as much battery power, but needs a servo to switch it from trim in/off/out.

Dale (San Diego)
Jan 15, 2018, 05:51 AM

Sail Servos

That is a large servos. I did actually purchase that same servos for my first Star 30 but exchanged it for the smaller HS-765 HB which fits more easily into the hull and has more than adequate power for sail trimming on this model. I have the same servos sitting om my desk beside me right now that I am installing into my second Star 30 build. I think you are going to enjoy sailing your model as much or more than the build.

Your boat is looking Great !

Art
Jan 15, 2018, 09:47 AM
Big Boats Rule!
The power consumed should be relative to the load, and at rest (on the work bench) should be near zero. Of course, while sailing there will always be load, but I don't think it's all that bad. Both of my Victor 1M Stars & Stripes use that servo, and I run those on 4 AA alkaline cells. Multiple sailing days before batteries need replacing.
If you go the rechargeable route, use 5 cells NiMH or a 2S LiFe pack. Of course, the 30" Star probably doesn't need the huge servo, so the 765 is probably a better choice.

Dave
Jan 17, 2018, 05:44 AM
Hello Daniel

Your model looks very nice with evidence of good workmanship . I am curious about how you intend to build your hatch cover. I am at that part of the build in my own model and am leaning towards a similar cover to the one I put on my first Star 30. The hatch cover on that model is raised and held in place with earth magnets. The raised lip on the deck and the overlap of the sides of the hatch are the only defense against water getting in. My daughter says that very little water gets in when she sails it but I wouldn't mind advice on a better design. I don't think she challenges her boat with big wind and waves.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Art
Feb 10, 2018, 07:50 AM

Main sail extends more than the backstay

Hello

Iím close to finish my dumas star 30, Iíve just installed the main sail and mast for a trial fit and see how it looks. I noticed that main sail extends the backstay, iím Sure i build it as per plans and instructions but i dont know if this is good or bad, the drawings in the instructions dont show that it should be like this so i think i screwed up something, can anyone give me some feedback pls?
Feb 10, 2018, 08:23 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Donīt know about these boats specifically, but look to me you are missing a mast crane. This would separate the backstay from the top of the mast, giving your sail more space...

I would complete the boom first anyway... Sails do not trim fully extended, some camber is required, so maybe this will give you some milimeters additional space...
Feb 10, 2018, 09:21 AM

Sail vs. Back Stay

Hello Daniel

The mail sail on the Star 30 that I built a few years ago kissed the back stay back up around the upper batten. It does not seem to impede the sailing of the model.

How much of your sail contacts the back stay? Is it the main boom ?

Perhaps you could send photos.

Art
Feb 10, 2018, 09:35 AM
Silly Me ! I see the photos now.

If your boom clears the back stay, I think you will be OK. Is your mast perpendicular ? Perhaps if you raked it back a bit you could reduce the interference .

nice looking model !

Art
Feb 10, 2018, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Windypants
Silly Me ! I see the photos now.

If your boom clears the back stay, I think you will be OK. Is your mast perpendicular ? Perhaps if you raked it back a bit you could reduce the interference .

nice looking model !

Art
The boom clears the backstay by 10mm and the mast is raked a bit back. If i knew it could happen i would added a mast crane but itís my fault I didnít checked before.
Feb 10, 2018, 03:23 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Looks like the mainsail may be a bit too high.
Can it be slid down the mast towards the boom until the foot almost touches the boom?
That may lower the point on the luff curve to where the backstay has more distance.

BP
Feb 10, 2018, 04:40 PM
Too late to do that, or i find a very creative way to make a crane or just live with it. Iím out of other options right now.

Quick Reply