Updating a Dumas Star 30 - Page 4 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Sep 18, 2011, 10:21 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
he4gott's Avatar
I am, but I'm going to retire it (don't want to ruin it in the salt water at the San Diego Model Yacht Pond, since its a 28 year old wedding present). But...I should have a new ODOM ready in the next several weeks...

Dale
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2011, 10:00 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
he4gott's Avatar
...
Last edited by he4gott; Oct 01, 2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: oops
Apr 17, 2012, 09:19 AM
Registered User

Dumas Star 30 metal keel placement and other ??.


Hi All,
I just purchased a Dumas Star 30 on Ebay. It is an older kit by the looks of the box however everything seems intact. All the die cuts punched out perfectly. My first question is the placement of the sheet metal keel. Does it line up exactly on the plan or with the top flush with the die cut keel? Does anyone have any pics. of a sail control using just a servo?
Last edited by atrefrey; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Jul 07, 2017, 06:23 PM
Registered User
I know it's an old thread but i try my luck.

I've just received a dumas star 30 kit, its not an old kit I guess as it has dacron sails instead of the old cotton sails. I've just had a quick look at the instructions, unfortunately they don't come with photo's as i was hoping, so there's some confusion in my head as how the parts got together.

my big doubts as how things come together are in the rigging parts, how exactly the sails are supposed to slide into the mast? how the mast is attached on the deck and were the vang is attached to the mast. does anyone has some photo's of the original rig?

is the lower fin removable or permanently attached to keel?

regards
Daniel Cardona
Jul 07, 2017, 07:55 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
he4gott's Avatar
Hi Daniel,

So, I'm the guy who started this thread. I'll have to get back to you on the sail rig, probably in the next few days. Is it still a wood mast?

Yes, the keel is permanently attached.

Dale Gottdank
Jul 08, 2017, 09:51 AM
Registered User
Hi Dale

Yes the mast is still made of wood, two halves joined together.
thanks for help, really appreciate. looking forward to hear from you soon.

regards
Daniel
Jul 08, 2017, 07:14 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
he4gott's Avatar
Hi Daniel,

I took a few photos of the rig (attached). There's a rod in the base of the mast that goes into a hole in the deck that's blocked/reinforced below. As I recall, the two halves of the mast are separated by 2 thin wood strips, one along the front of the mast and one along the rear. You can see it in the close-ups. I think the rear one is thinner to create a groove to run the luff up the mast, but I'm not sure of the detail.

A better solution, would be to get plans from Dumas. I recall contacting Dumas and they sent me a set of instructions and plans. Looks like you can buy it from their Estore:

http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=718

or just call them (520)-623-3742.. They're very helpful.

Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing some photos!

Dale
Jul 09, 2017, 03:16 PM
Registered User

Star 30


nice to see someone built a STAR 30. I just finished mine , not water tested yet. Never sailed a model sailboat before only full size, so a little cautious for the first run. Made some changes from the plans, but appears to work fine.
1. couldn't get enough weight in the bulb, so I ordered the bulb assy. for the AQUACRAFT-VELA and removed some of the weight and attached to the stock fin.
2. sail winch is a HTec 785 servo, with my mod to the rotary plate,, Hitec drum wouldn't run without fouling up.
3. used a Sullivan control rod for the sail insert instead of the rope supplied in the kit.
4. Battery is a A123 Life 1100 Ma.
kit is not real clear on many things, so just guessed on some items. Hope it works out good.
Jul 09, 2017, 07:23 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphil611
nice to see someone built a STAR 30. I just finished mine , not water tested yet. Never sailed a model sailboat before only full size, so a little cautious for the first run. Made some changes from the plans, but appears to work fine.
1. couldn't get enough weight in the bulb, so I ordered the bulb assy. for the AQUACRAFT-VELA and removed some of the weight and attached to the stock fin.
2. sail winch is a HTec 785 servo, with my mod to the rotary plate,, Hitec drum wouldn't run without fouling up.
3. used a Sullivan control rod for the sail insert instead of the rope supplied in the kit.
4. Battery is a A123 Life 1100 Ma.
kit is not real clear on many things, so just guessed on some items. Hope it works out good.
How did you used the Sullivan rod with the sail? the instructions tells you to sew the rope with the sail and then slide it in the mast.
I like what you did with the sail servo, why you did use a long servo arm instead? any advantages?
you are right stating the instructions are not that clear I was hoping to see the instructions with some photo's but its just all written and some sketches.

btw between the two mast halves there's supposed to be a thin plywood strip, should that be all the length of the mast or not?

yours looks really nice , so if its looks right it mus sail right

thanks again for the photo's if you have more pls post them here, there no much info on the net for this particular boat.
Jul 09, 2017, 07:42 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott
Hi Daniel,

I took a few photos of the rig (attached). There's a rod in the base of the mast that goes into a hole in the deck that's blocked/reinforced below. As I recall, the two halves of the mast are separated by 2 thin wood strips, one along the front of the mast and one along the rear. You can see it in the close-ups. I think the rear one is thinner to create a groove to run the luff up the mast, but I'm not sure of the detail.

A better solution, would be to get plans from Dumas. I recall contacting Dumas and they sent me a set of instructions and plans. Looks like you can buy it from their Estore:

http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=718

or just call them (520)-623-3742.. They're very helpful.

Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing some photos!

Dale
Hi Dale

Many thanks for the photo's, i really love how you coloured yours it turned out very nice.
I do have the instructions and the plan, it came with the kit, there's a small sketch drawing showing the thin ply strip between the 2 mast halves. that thin ply strip shows to be attached in the front only, i don't know if it should be all the length of the mast or not. so your comment ''one along the front of the mast and one along the rear'' got me confused lol.

so how do you remove the sail from the mast if it needs to?

Today I've just inspected the parts and just dry fitted the bulkheads with the keel to get a feeling of how it will look like. pretty wide compared to my Dragon force RG65, Should be easier to fit the servos and stuff inside. the finish of the die cut parts it's not a very pretty finish and I also noticed that the plans are somewhat a bit bigger. I mean if i check the parts over the plan they don't match very well.

Btw what did you used to cut the keel fin after you attached the bulbs? stainless steel it's quite hard to cut sometimes.

I will try to post photo's but my progress would be very slow i'm afraid, not a lot of free time at the moment....daughter

Thanks again for all you help Dale
Jul 09, 2017, 07:45 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
he4gott's Avatar
I found some more stuff on the internet.

I can't help much with the winch setup, since my 1980's Star uses the old Dumas Probar sail winch that's operated by a toggle switch that's activated by a servo...lol.

I did manage to find a couple of partial plans.

I have a Hitech winch in another, larger boat. It might be tight in the Star, but you could modify the arm.

Dale
Jul 09, 2017, 10:52 PM
Registered User

Star 30


Dan
Yes the plans indicate (sew the rope to the front edge of the sail) I don't like to sew, and it was easier to insert the Sullivan plastic rod into the front edge of the sail where it was folded over and sewn. You can slide anything in the fold that is just slightly smaller than a 1/4" the full length of the sail.
Yes the piece of 1/32" ply goes between the two mast pieces full length on the front edge. this leaves a 1/32" slot on the back side of the mast. The bottom end of the mast has a 3/8" dowell two inches long that is glued in. This dowell is drilled for a 1/8" hole in the end
(NOTE drill the hole before you glue the dowel in so the 1/8" hole will be on center of the dowel, hard to do when it is glued in) the hole in the dowel is for a 1/8" brass rod two inches long that extends out one inch from the mast and inserts into the deck support hole. Before you glue the mast halves together make sure to put thinned epoxy into the rounded part of the inside of the mast and sand it smooth so the sail wont stick when you slide the main sail into the slot ( from the top). Also the small eye screws for the shrouds, can only be put in a short distance or they will go in too deep and catch on the sail when ;you slide it in. I never installed the spreaders shown for the mast. The mast is very strong and don't need them. I also didn't put the eye screws in the top of the mast as they would catch on the sail, so I cut a 1/16" slot about 1/2" deep in the top of the mast, and attached a thin piece of carbon fiber sheet about 1 1/2" long with a hole in the front end and back end for the shroud connections.
The HItec 785 servo is a winch servo and rotates 3 1/2 turns max. You can adjust the amount of rotation by the radio transmitter. Futaba calles it END POINT adjustment. I need about 1 1/2 turns on mine. The HItec winch drum always tangled the sheets, so I used the round servo arm not the long one and put four allen screws into is as you can see in the picture. Seems to work fine. Could have used an arm on the servo instead but I thought this would work better.
phil
Jul 10, 2017, 04:47 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphil611
Dan
Yes the plans indicate (sew the rope to the front edge of the sail) I don't like to sew, and it was easier to insert the Sullivan plastic rod into the front edge of the sail where it was folded over and sewn. You can slide anything in the fold that is just slightly smaller than a 1/4" the full length of the sail.
Yes the piece of 1/32" ply goes between the two mast pieces full length on the front edge. this leaves a 1/32" slot on the back side of the mast. The bottom end of the mast has a 3/8" dowell two inches long that is glued in. This dowell is drilled for a 1/8" hole in the end
(NOTE drill the hole before you glue the dowel in so the 1/8" hole will be on center of the dowel, hard to do when it is glued in) the hole in the dowel is for a 1/8" brass rod two inches long that extends out one inch from the mast and inserts into the deck support hole. Before you glue the mast halves together make sure to put thinned epoxy into the rounded part of the inside of the mast and sand it smooth so the sail wont stick when you slide the main sail into the slot ( from the top). Also the small eye screws for the shrouds, can only be put in a short distance or they will go in too deep and catch on the sail when ;you slide it in. I never installed the spreaders shown for the mast. The mast is very strong and don't need them. I also didn't put the eye screws in the top of the mast as they would catch on the sail, so I cut a 1/16" slot about 1/2" deep in the top of the mast, and attached a thin piece of carbon fiber sheet about 1 1/2" long with a hole in the front end and back end for the shroud connections.
The HItec 785 servo is a winch servo and rotates 3 1/2 turns max. You can adjust the amount of rotation by the radio transmitter. Futaba calles it END POINT adjustment. I need about 1 1/2 turns on mine. The HItec winch drum always tangled the sheets, so I used the round servo arm not the long one and put four allen screws into is as you can see in the picture. Seems to work fine. Could have used an arm on the servo instead but I thought this would work better.
phil
Thanks phil, things start to get more clear now. what about your gooseneck attachment? is it permanently attached under the mast or it's free to rotate? I assume it goes with the mast 1/8'' brass rod right? I noticed that you used carbon rods maybe for the booms, what dia are they? are those ball joints used on rc cars where they pivot? sorry for all the questions
Jul 10, 2017, 02:38 PM
Registered User

Star 30


Dan
took some pics not to clear but should give you some idea.
top of mast is thin carbon piece to connect front and rear shrouds, and top sail eye.
about fifteen inches down is connector for side shrouds, and jib. small plastic plate with four small screws holding a bent metal connector.
bottom of mast, thin metal plate with 1/8" hole for boom vang. just loose not really connected to anything, remove the mast and it falls off.
boom vang is a model airplane 2MM ball connector, mounted to the mast by drilling a 2 MM hole in the lower end of the mast through the 3/8" dowell and putting a nut on the front side.
no reason for the carbon booms, just had them in my heli junk box. about 1/4". and glued a wooden dowell inside so the screws wouldn't split the carbon rods.
phil
Last edited by pphil611; Jul 11, 2017 at 03:11 PM.
Jul 10, 2017, 11:58 PM
Registered User
Hello Daniel

You are going to love your Dumas Star 30. The kit builds a beautiful boat that sails very well. I am right now building my second Star 30. The first was a newer kit and the second is an older kit with cotton sails. One of the plan sheets in the older kit shows a detail on the mast that makes sail installation very easy. Just slightly above the main sail boom attachment point, the luff grove of the mast is opened up to form a mouth that will allow the luff rope of the main sail to slide easily into the groove. It works well and I am using the same technique on the second boat.

I like Phil's idea of using the control rod inserted into the luff seam of the main sail. On my first build I used a piece of small diameter dacron woven cord in the same fashion. I caught it with a few stitches at the top of the sail to keep it in place. I intend to use a piece of nylon tubing in the cotton sail of the second boat . The cotton material is a little thicker and won't accommodate the rope.

Good luck with your boat . You have come to the right place for help and advice. There is a lot of guys with a lot of knowledge on this forum.

Please do post photos as you build and then sail your model.

Art


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Vintage dumas star 45 for sale LCS Boats (FS/W) 5 Nov 11, 2017 06:15 PM
Discussion Vintage dumas star 45 needs a new home LCS Sailboats 2 Oct 18, 2010 10:09 PM
Help! Dumas Star 30 Instructions DavidMC Sailboats 1 Sep 04, 2007 11:07 PM
Dumas Star 30? fly1milehi Sailboats 5 Jan 22, 2005 12:45 AM
Dumas star class 30 help PROACE Sailboats 2 Dec 11, 2004 06:39 PM