Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 11, 2010, 11:36 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkopke
Made some progress on the re-rig of my Star30. New Mylar film sails are finished thanks to Brian Sims at Vision Sails. New carbon rig is under construction and should be finished soon. Didn't get any today, but as promised, I'll post some pics when we get finished.

Brian
Looking forward to seeing pictures. I checked out Vision Sails site...cool

Dale
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2011, 12:30 AM
I decided to remove and keep the old sails rather than completely trash them. I installed the new sails I ordered from Dumas. Plus, the dacron sails should be a lot easier to spray off the salt water than the old cotton sails.

Dale
Jan 17, 2011, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott
I decided to remove and keep the old sails rather than completely trash them. I installed the new sails I ordered from Dumas. Plus, the dacron sails should be a lot easier to spray off the salt water than the old cotton sails.

Dale
Dale,
looks very nice with the new sails and I hope you don't forget to call me so i can video your maiden voyage ( if I'm not too late) .. or see you down there at the SD Boat Pond.. BTW I got an ODOM in the wings, so have something reasonably fast to compete with down there.. Regards jimS
Jan 17, 2011, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123
Dale,
looks very nice with the new sails and I hope you don't forget to call me so i can video your maiden voyage ( if I'm not too late) .. or see you down there at the SD Boat Pond.. BTW I got an ODOM in the wings, so have something reasonably fast to compete with down there.. Regards jimS
Jim,

No, you haven't missed the maiden voyage...I was really busy at work before the holidays and had a bunch of family in town between Christmas and New Year. Looking forward to getting her in the water. What days do you go to the SD Boat Pond? On weekends, is it Saturday or Sunday that's sailing day?

Dale

ps. noticed that you've been eying that ODOM on F/S Wanted. Looks like a great boat.
Jan 17, 2011, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott
Jim,

No, you haven't missed the maiden voyage...I was really busy at work before the holidays and had a bunch of family in town between Christmas and New Year. Looking forward to getting her in the water. What days do you go to the SD Boat Pond? On weekends, is it Saturday or Sunday that's sailing day?

Dale

ps. noticed that you've been eying that ODOM on F/S Wanted. Looks like a great boat.
Sure,
Wed and Saturday are designated sailboat days.. Power Boaters are often there on Friday and Sunday.. but even when they are there you can sail either far end and they will steer clear.. typically I am there over my lunch hr during the week and with some notice i can swing by .. my office is only 5 minutes away.. i want to go this afternoon late and tomorrow at about 11:30 or noon.. Hope to see you soon.. Take Care..but don't let me and my camcorder (or the lack thereof) slow you down.. in 52 years there, i hear only 2 boats have sunk .. JimS
Jan 17, 2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123
Sure,
Wed and Saturday are designated sailboat days.. Power Boaters are often there on Friday and Sunday.. but even when they are there you can sail either far end and they will steer clear.. typically I am there over my lunch hr during the week and with some notice i can swing by .. my office is only 5 minutes away.. i want to go this afternoon late and tomorrow at about 11:30 or noon.. Hope to see you soon.. Take Care..but don't let me and my camcorder (or the lack thereof) slow you down.. in 52 years there, i hear only 2 boats have sunk .. JimS
Let's hope the total stays at 2
I'll definitely call before the maiden voyage.

Dale
Mar 05, 2011, 11:05 PM
I finally managed to re-maiden the Star today at the San Diego Model Yacht Basin in Mission Bay. New rx, batteries and sails worked fine. The new plexiglass hatch cover, sealed with vinyl tape to keep the water out worked flawlessly. The best part was getting several chances to sail some of the more "current" sailboats. Thanks to Jim, Kim (is that right?) and Louis for all the encouragement and advice. I even got to participate in some informal races. Great day!

Lesson for today: It's easy to sail an RC sailboat. It's VERY DIFFICULT to sail an RC sailboat well...

Dale
Last edited by he4gott; Mar 05, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Mar 05, 2011, 11:14 PM
Here's a video of today's re-maiden.

Dale
Star 30 re-Maiden Voyage (0 min 33 sec)
Mar 05, 2011, 11:26 PM
Taking care of the pond.
Nice...
Mar 19, 2011, 04:21 PM
Registered Billy
Here are the long promised pictures of my Star 30. Not 100% finished-just some lines to trim and some misc. before I can try it out. If I remember my camera when I re-maiden I'll post some action shots as well. Weekend weather here in KY has been OK but I was sidelined by a leaky roof and other household chores.

Brian

PS please ignore the messy shop-I don't have it finished either!
Mar 19, 2011, 05:42 PM
Looks great! Very nice rigging and sails. Good luck with the maiden.

Dale
Mar 20, 2011, 07:24 PM
Registered Billy
Thanks Dale, I watched the video of your re-maiden and it looks like you have a winner. Here's hoping mine goes as well.

Brian
Sep 17, 2011, 03:57 PM
Registered Billy
Finally got the Star in the water today. Wind was light and fluky most of the day but when it picked up the Star was really in her element. A few more issues to work out to improve light air performance but I am very pleased with the new sails and rig from Vision Sails. Here is the evidence:
Last edited by bkopke; Sep 17, 2011 at 04:03 PM.
Sep 17, 2011, 10:54 PM
Brian,

Your boat looks great in the water! VERY nice sails.

Dale
Sep 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
Registered Billy
Thanks Dale, I'm looking forward to making this boat one of the "regulars". Considering that this boat could not make any headway against the wind with the original sails I couldn't be happier. A couple of more tweaks in mind are a topping lift for the jib and repositioning the battery forward to help with the bow high trim. I'm fortunate to have Brian S. here local to help me sort it out. I hope you are enjoying your Star as well.

Brian

Quick Reply