Updating a Dumas Star 30 - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 03, 2010, 12:35 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkopke
I am going to redo my rig this winter since my sails and mast are pretty beat. I'll try to post some pics/info here when that happens. Good luck with your refit.

Brian
I'd be curious as to what your solution is for new sails. Thinking about making an extra set (see post #8)

Dale
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2010, 02:11 PM
Registered Billy
Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott
I'd be curious as to what your solution is for new sails. Thinking about making an extra set (see post #8)

Dale
Over the winter I'll be consulting with a local sailing buddy who is knowledgeable about sailmaking etc. and will post the details here. We discussed some problems I was having with sailing performance (especially upwind) and some ideas for improvement.

Brian
Nov 05, 2010, 09:44 PM
I want to believe
Ahoy Dale,

Let me know when you get it ready to go, and we can go down to the yacht pond. I'll bring my sailboat too!

Marty
Nov 05, 2010, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdine1us
Ahoy Dale,

Let me know when you get it ready to go, and we can go down to the yacht pond. I'll bring my sailboat too!

Marty
Will do....glad to see there's another sailor among the aviators. What kind of boat do you have?

Dale
Nov 28, 2010, 12:14 AM

Ready to Re-maiden

I've got the new Spektrum MR-200 receiver installed and put new plugs on the old servos. I have a new 4.8 v, 700mAh battery for the rx and a 6v, 5cell 900mAh battery for the sail control unit (instead of the old AA battery holders and alligator clips). I made a flush fitting plexiglas hatch cover that I can tape down around the perimeter (way more waterproof than the latched wood cover that I'll keep for display). I'll start with the original cotton sails, but if (when?) they're trashed, I have a new set of dacron sails waiting...

Dale
Nov 29, 2010, 07:25 PM
I want to believe
Looking great Dale!

Let's go sailing! I dug mine out and it should be ready to go...
Nov 29, 2010, 10:58 PM
Wow Marty that IOM looks super fast and in great shape .. Hope to see u and Dale there soon.. I'll know u by ur boat
Regards, JimS
Nov 30, 2010, 11:07 AM
I want to believe
Sure thing Jim. By the way, you'll probably recognize me because we've flown gliders together at Sorrento Valley a couple of times in the past too!
Nov 30, 2010, 04:29 PM
Marty,
likely so.. it's your mdine1us handle that doesn't ring a bell in my brain.. btw i was down there sailing again yesterday and today.. too light to fly today, but steady and 4 to 6mph.. just fine for sailing ..that IOM of yours looks simply awesome.. have you had it a long time? .. I can't wait to see it up close .. and the Dumas Start 30 too.. I suspect your IOM will run circles around both of us tho probably..

Regards,
JimS
Nov 30, 2010, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123
I suspect your IOM will run circles around both of us tho probably..

Regards,
JimS
Until we attach this handy-dandy sea anchor....

Dale
Dec 01, 2010, 04:34 PM
Marty,
was good to see you again down at the pond today.. and yes, now I do recall Sorrento Va and flying with you and you friend there a few times..

Dale,
look out Marty's Boat is a super fast .. streamlined precision machine.. and pretty awesome to behold as it cruised past everyone.. .. especially while the battery is charged up..
Dec 02, 2010, 12:00 PM

Here's what you missed yesterday.. Matry (I think won this one)

Dale.. Sorry,
I missed the actual Start 10 seconds prior.. but you can see Marty (the tallest guy) walking past in the beginning.. and at about 25 seconds in, you can barely see an interesting port/stbd collision between Don and another boat.. if you have good eyeballs.. this iPhone G3S isn;t that hot on taking video.. But you get the ideat what Wed Noon is all about down there a the pond.. This is so far the most guys I have seen down there at one time.. JimS

SD RC Boat Racing (0 min 48 sec)
Dec 02, 2010, 06:00 PM
I want to believe
Yep, despite my dumb thumbs, i managed to be on the right side of a subtle wind shift on the last weather leg and nabbed the win. It was a really fun day!

Looking forward to more!

Marty
Dec 02, 2010, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123
But you get the ideat what Wed Noon is all about down there a the pond.. This is so far the most guys I have seen down there at one time.. JimS
Cool...looks like GREAT fun! "(don't let the Dave's Beach guys know I said that...). I'm just going to have to find time on some Wednesday afternoon and join you guys.

Dale
Dec 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
Registered Billy
Made some progress on the re-rig of my Star30. New Mylar film sails are finished thanks to Brian Sims at Vision Sails. New carbon rig is under construction and should be finished soon. Didn't get any today, but as promised, I'll post some pics when we get finished.

Brian

Quick Reply