Updating a Dumas Star 30 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 31, 2010, 08:51 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
Question

Updating a Dumas Star 30

I have a 27 year old Dumas Star (30"). Last time I sailed it was about 25 years ago. The hull, sails and rigging are still in good shape, but the electronics are....27 years old. There are 2 Futaba FP-S29 servos and a Dumas 3701 Sail Control Unit. The batteries are just standard AA's in battery pack holders and I'm sure the radio and rx are way past the point of being legal.

Several questions:

Should i try to get the Sail Control Unit working (it may have a stripped gear or 2) or switch it out for a sail servo?

The servos still seem to work, but the plugs won't work with a modern rx. Is it worth changing out the plugs or better to just get some new servos about the same size?

I've got a Futaba 9c with a Spektrum 2.4 module, so I'll be switching this over to 2.4. I've been into RC Soaring for years, so I know about air rx's, but what would be a good Spektrum rx for a sailboat?

Any other suggestions are most welcome....

Thanks,

Dale
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2010, 09:22 PM
Servo's are cheap, so simply replace the rudder servo. If the winch works well, just swap out the plug. Wiring and servo pulses have not changed since 25 years ago.
Oct 31, 2010, 09:31 PM
There are two servos...one controls the rudder and one turns the sail control unit on and off. So..I should probably replace both? Also, any servo recommendations?

Thanks.
Last edited by he4gott; Oct 31, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
Nov 01, 2010, 01:13 AM
Taking care of the pond.
Nice looking boat.
Nov 01, 2010, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME
Nice looking boat.
Thanks.
Nov 01, 2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott
There are two servos...one controls the rudder and one turns the sail control unit on and off. So..I should probably replace both? Also, any servo recommendations?

Thanks.
The standard Hitec or Futaba servos will do just fine. I'm really surprised the boat has a 3701 SCU in it!!! WAAAAYYY overkill. That unit was originally for boats with 800+ square inches of sail. Its a great unit, and if it still works, I would keep it. Very nice looking boat. Its a classic.

Too bad Dumas doesn't produce sailboats anymore.
Nov 01, 2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest
The standard Hitec or Futaba servos will do just fine. I'm really surprised the boat has a 3701 SCU in it!!! WAAAAYYY overkill. That unit was originally for boats with 800+ square inches of sail. Its a great unit, and if it still works, I would keep it. Very nice looking boat. Its a classic.

Too bad Dumas doesn't produce sailboats anymore.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, the 3701 is pretty hefty. I don't remember the source of the recommendation, but it said to use the 3701 SCU and modify the arm so it extends out only on one side instead of the usual symmetrical arrangement. That allowed it to fit in one side of the hull and swing across to the other with freedom of movement...both jib and main sheets tied to the same end of the arm. I tested it last night and it still seems to work. Any recommendations for 2.4 Spektrum rx?

I think Dumas still produces some boats...Dumas and Tower both carry the Star 30" kit, anyway:
http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=191
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE376&P=FR

Dale
Nov 01, 2010, 03:07 PM
I have Dumas units in two boats and they still work great and provide all the power I need. Yes, they are heavier and slower than new units, but why change if you don't need to do so? I'm guessing you won't be racing with it. Just replace the two servos or plugs and go sail ( heck, you can find tx/rx set with servos on ebay or a hobby shop for less than $50). 2.4ghz rx will work fine, too. I would put pulleys on the arm, and maybe where the eyelets are, to keep the line from fraying. Look like the original cotton sails, too? You might want to make some dacron or mylar sails and store the old ones.
Lovely yacht, by the way, Happy sailing.
Nov 01, 2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967250s
I have Dumas units in two boats and they still work great and provide all the power I need. Yes, they are heavier and slower than new units, but why change if you don't need to do so? I'm guessing you won't be racing with it. Just replace the two servos or plugs and go sail ( heck, you can find tx/rx set with servos on ebay or a hobby shop for less than $50). 2.4ghz rx will work fine, too. I would put pulleys on the arm, and maybe where the eyelets are, to keep the line from fraying. Look like the original cotton sails, too? You might want to make some dacron or mylar sails and store the old ones.
Lovely yacht, by the way, Happy sailing.
I was wondering about the sails too. Hate to wear out the originals. I looked at a couple of threads on sailmaking and it seems doable. Is it easier to work with mylar or dacron? Also, about the pulleys...is there a good source for RC scale pulleys? Thanks.

Dale
Nov 01, 2010, 11:00 PM
There's actually a thread here about blocks.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1326426
Brooxes gave me good service, but there have been problems with a couple dealers with supply, but there are still others with some blocks available.
Mylar and dacron aren't very hard to work with, just follow the instructions, LOL.
Nov 02, 2010, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967250s
There's actually a thread here about blocks.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1326426
Brooxes gave me good service, but there have been problems with a couple dealers with supply, but there are still others with some blocks available.
Mylar and dacron aren't very hard to work with, just follow the instructions, LOL.
Ahh yes...instructions There's a lot of info out there about sailmaking....it'll either be a lot of fun, or really frustrating. We'll see. In the meantime, thanks for the info about blocks and such. First step...upgrade the electronics.
Nov 02, 2010, 09:56 PM
Registered Billy
he4gott, you have a very nice looking boat. I have a Star 30 as well, although mine is only 17 years old. If I remember right the directions called for the Dumas 3701 SCU. My LHS gave me a deal on a Futaba radio with a S125 servo so I skipped the more expensive Dumas option. I have since replaced the S125 with a 1/4 scale airplane servo with a little more torque. So if your Dumas unit is shot, that's an inexpensive option. I am going to redo my rig this winter since my sails and mast are pretty beat. I'll try to post some pics/info here when that happens. Good luck with your refit.

Brian
Nov 03, 2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkopke
he4gott, you have a very nice looking boat. I have a Star 30 as well, although mine is only 17 years old. If I remember right the directions called for the Dumas 3701 SCU. My LHS gave me a deal on a Futaba radio with a S125 servo so I skipped the more expensive Dumas option. I have since replaced the S125 with a 1/4 scale airplane servo with a little more torque. So if your Dumas unit is shot, that's an inexpensive option. I am going to redo my rig this winter since my sails and mast are pretty beat. I'll try to post some pics/info here when that happens. Good luck with your refit.

Brian
I always thought the Star 30 called for the Dumas 3702 SCU which is similar but smaller for boats with less than 800 square inches of sail area. Maybe Dumas was trying to pimp the more expensive unit!!
Nov 03, 2010, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest
I always thought the Star 30 called for the Dumas 3702 SCU which is similar but smaller for boats with less than 800 square inches of sail area. Maybe Dumas was trying to pimp the more expensive unit!!
That may be, although I seem to remember some mention of configuration of the winch arm having something to do with it. The rounded ends of the winch arm and the ability to cut off one side of the arm made it be able to fit the starboard half of the hull as it wouldn't fit over the keel due to inadequate headroom. Still, after 27 years, their web site still indicates the 3702 SCU. It would be interesting to see if they've changed the manual or still recommend the 3701...
Nov 03, 2010, 10:34 AM
Registered Billy
I'll see if I still have the paperwork-my memory is good, just short. I do remember the SCU itself costing about as much as I paid for the kit.

Brian

Quick Reply