Oct 31, 2010, 05:57 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
Build Log

Culver Dart from Mr. Rakes plans

Well I am at it again. This is one I talked Pete into doing for me. She is a little larger at 52" of wing so should handle our breezy weather a little better. My Monocoupe is 52" and flys nicely on a .15 sized electric motor so I will use the same in the Dart.Original was designed by Al Mooney and built by Monocoupe as a two place side by side open cockpit low winger. I am not sure how culver ended up with the design but I will dig out my Of Monocoupes and Men book and refresh my memory and pass it on.
so far I have assembled the fuslage and installed the motor mount and motor. Had a couple issues with missing and mismarked parts but all in all she goes right together. I love laser cut parts. It makes building so nice. By the time I had drawn and cut all the parts for my Lyander I was worn out.
Last edited by sweptside; Oct 31, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2010, 06:51 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Alright, Marion! I was waiting for this one!

Yes, the design was originally a Monocoupe, later sold to Culver. I found some info on Aerofiles, under Monocoupe ( http://aerofiles.com/_mono.html ... scroll down to "Monosport G"), and under Culver ( http://aerofiles.com/_cu.html ... first couple entries).

Not sure, though, of the actual development chronology of the round v. flat engines, but at one of the WAAAM fly-ins, I was what I thought was a Culver Dart, but actually had the Monocoupe logo on the fin:

Perhaps this was a later modification to an originally radial-powered G?

Really looking forward to this build, as I may eventually talk myself into a short kit of this baby!

James
Oct 31, 2010, 09:38 PM
The one in the lower picture is the prototype monosport G, it has been converted to a flat engine but originally had a Lambert 90 hp. The model GK had a 90 hp Ken-Royce, the GW had a 90 hp Warner, there was one called the I model that had a 185 hp warner but a prototype and one or two homebuilt versions were all of that one. When Culver bought the design Al Mooney came with it but left to start his own company. A company called Applegate and Weyant modded the design with a 100 hp Continental flat six and called it the GC they tried to sell as kits but had limited success. Since the small radials are hard to find parts for most of the Darts have been converted to a horizontal engine. When I bought a set of blueprints from the man who had the masters he said not to go over 125 hp with it but the new Rotec radial looks like it would be the ticket.
Last edited by dartgw; Oct 31, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Oct 31, 2010, 10:50 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
I dont know a lot about the history of this bird. I just know that I like it. I am sure I will find out plenty as the historians among us tell the story.
Nov 01, 2010, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartgw
The one in the lower picture is the prototype monosport G, it has been converted to a flat engine but originally had a Lambert 90 hp. The model GK had a 90 hp Ken-Royce, the GW had a 90 hp Warner, there was one called the I model that had a 185 hp warner but a prototype and one or two homebuilt versions were all of that one. When Culver bought the design Al Mooney came with it but left to start his own company. A company called Applegate and Weyant modded the design with a 100 hp Continental flat six and called it the GC they tried to sell as kits but had limited success. Since the small radials are hard to find parts for most of the Darts have been converted to a horizontal engine. When I bought a set of blueprints from the man who had the masters he said not to go over 125 hp with it but the new Rotec radial looks like it would be the ticket.
Good info! And I'll second the motion on the Rotecs!

James
Nov 01, 2010, 10:08 AM
subscribing!
Nov 01, 2010, 11:19 AM
Visitor from Reality
Adorable!

Laser cutting is the way to go with shapes like this, but at least the cockpit glazing is fairly simplistic.

Good luck with it, will be following your build closely.

Has 'King Peter' left anything un-modelled?

Regards
D
ereck
Nov 01, 2010, 11:34 AM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP
I would still like to get an early cabin waco about 32 or 33 from him. Something 50 to 60 inches. How about it Pete?

Marion
Nov 01, 2010, 04:36 PM
Look's like a winner! I really like all the Culver designs!
Nov 01, 2010, 08:01 PM
SUBSCRIBE!!

Saw one of these (round engined...as all great planes are) at the air museum in Hood River, OR and thought it would be a great subject. Couldn't find any plans, etc when I got home though

Is this a prototype kit or is it available now? Who's cutting it?

Thanks,

Scottrik
Nov 01, 2010, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOISY MUSE
SUBSCRIBE!!

Saw one of these (round engined...as all great planes are) at the air museum in Hood River, OR and thought it would be a great subject. Couldn't find any plans, etc when I got home though

Is this a prototype kit or is it available now? Who's cutting it?

Thanks,

Scottrik
Excellent! When did you get the pleasure of visiting WAAAM? I "haunt" the place as often as I can, as it is only about an hour's drive from home. Each time I go, there's something new on display.

One of the nifty tidbits about the Dart at WAAAM, is it is one of the starring Darts from the movie Tarnished Angels, as is the Davis D1K on display.

Sadly, the museum presents me with an enormous dilemma: I end up with an overwhelming desire to model a great number of the aircraft there!

As for plans, RCM Plans lists a set for a slightly larger, IC-powered version. However, Dart plans are certainly not as plentiful as Cub plans/kits! For my money, I'll probably hold out for the Rake version...

James
Nov 01, 2010, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Excellent! When did you get the pleasure of visiting WAAAM? I "haunt" the place as often as I can, as it is only about an hour's drive from home. Each time I go, there's something new on display.

One of the nifty tidbits about the Dart at WAAAM, is it is one of the starring Darts from the movie Tarnished Angels, as is the Davis D1K on display.

Sadly, the museum presents me with an enormous dilemma: I end up with an overwhelming desire to model a great number of the aircraft there!

As for plans, RCM Plans lists a set for a slightly larger, IC-powered version. However, Dart plans are certainly not as plentiful as Cub plans/kits! For my money, I'll probably hold out for the Rake version...
I'm with you--if there's a possibility of a laser-cut kit in the near (or even near-ish...no shortage of projects queued under the bench) I'll go ahead and wait.

I got to visit WAAM in August...spent a week with my dad (and flying a couple times out at the Flying Knights field out at Orient) on my way home from 30th HS reunion in Seattle (Renton).

Hope to hear whether this build is a prototype build or an available kit. Just checked Rake's site (and Manzano to be sure) and didn't see mention of the Dart.
Last edited by NOISY MUSE; Nov 01, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Nov 01, 2010, 10:18 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP

Progress report

This is a prototype that I am building for Pete so when it is done and flys I will submit a build review with pics and hopefully they will use it. Which reminds me I need to sit down and finish the one for the Westlan Widgeon that I built. It has three flights on it already. I built the cowling for the Dart today and it came out nice. I will get a photo up soon. Looks much more like a Dart now. Next up is the fillets. I want to get those just right as they are such a big part of the bird.

Marion
Nov 01, 2010, 10:56 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Thread OP

Pictures

Here are a couple of the cowl
Nov 02, 2010, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweptside
Here are a couple of the cowl

Need to learn my flash but at least you can see the cowl
Marion, I do what I can to avoid the use of flash for pics such as this. The tripod is your friend! Light the subject as well as possible with what you have available, preferably all of the same color temperature (ie, all tungsten, all flo, all daylight, etc.), and set the white balance to match. Use the self timer, as this will allow any wiggling caused by you to stop before the shutter opens. The exposure times will likely be much longer than holding the camera by hand will allow without blurring, but that's why the tripod and self timer! Rarely will the use of on-camera flash provide you with even lighting... unless you invest in more flash units, reflectors, diffusers, etc!

With careful and/or clever use of the camera's metering and focusing (if auto focus and auto-exposure is used), you can aim the camera at the various bits to optimize focus and exposure, press the shutter button partway to "hold" those settings. Once the exposure appears to be acceptable, and the shutter button is still holding those settings, point the camera for composition, secure the tripod head if necessary, then press the shutter button the rest of the way to initiate the self-timer. Let go and wait for the shot!

Assuming the ambient lighting is even enough, the subject will most likely look less washed out than if shot with a flash.

At least most of the time! :P

James

Quick Reply