Feb 20, 2011, 09:39 AM
Tailspin
I have used A123s for several years and they do drop a lot of voltage at high current. Anything over 60 amps is probably going to get you less than 3 volts at the best and probably a lot less. I smoked a 125 amp CC when I switched from A123s to LiPo's without changing the prop (forgot). The voltage drop under 40 amps is probably OK.

BTW in that plane the pack was a 2S2P on the A123s and just a 2S on the LiPo and it was pushing a Neu 1506 1D with a 6.7GB. My guess from the calculator is it was in the 300 amp range with the LiPo and had to be in 120 amp range with the 123's so the voltage had to be really low under load or the controller would have smoked with the 123's.

I also use both in A123s and LiPo's in my 500 class heli and although there is a difference it is not as dramatic and that system pulls in the 35 amp range.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2011, 09:46 AM
Red Merle ALES VII SJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolw View Post
I'm not familiar with A123 cells but do they sag that much under load ? They're 3.3V nominal, 3.6V fully charged. What model are you putting them into ? The cells are great but I don't believe you use them that much in gliders (unless you need the weight to balance) as they're quite heavy compared to Lipos of equivalent V/mAh rating.

Peter
Peter,

Here's a good source of information on A123 cells. He calls them M1 cells in his chart.
http://www.slkelectronics.com/DeWalt/index.htm

They are 3.15V cells. I'm putting them in a scratch built eSupra. Weight shouldn't be an issue for me with this large of a glider. I'm using them because I have them and they take a lot of abuse and lastly they will not burn my house down. I had to put a fire out in a friends van due to his charging error but that was not fun, so for now no Lipos for me. Yes I take a lot of ribbing about not using Lipos. I'm quite careful and I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem but the A123's work great for my use.

By the way, Sweden is a great place but the three days I spent there is rained as we say cats and dogs the entire time and my camping experience in a tent was shall we say, well like camping in a river!

Curtis
Montana
Feb 20, 2011, 04:29 PM
Denny-
I have a question about your upcoming event. Is there going to be a Outrunner class like last year or only the Open class this time? If I can attend, I need to plan waaaay ahead to ready a "beer cooler" or two! I will fly all events you have but need to package and haul it all on the airlines. A seperate plane for the each event will be much better this time. As everyone there knows I had no choice last year but to fly one plane in both classes . But the great surroundings and good time I had more than made up for the loss. And again thanks to Denny and his family for a Great run event, and to Randy for a loaner CAM device to be able to compete!!

I look forward to hearing from you about this year's event.

Bob A.
Feb 21, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hi Bob

Glad to hear you are going to make the trip again, we all enjoyed your company. Sorry you went home with one less plane though.

Currently planning on ALES only as interest in 28mm outrunner just wasn't there last year. If enough folks want to fly it we can work it in some where.
Feb 22, 2011, 11:54 AM
Alrighty then Girls

Time to officially announce the "Polecat/Soaring Circuits 2K11 ALES Open Soar"

Three days of true flatland soaring in beautiful Bloserville:-)

June 24th, practice day, June 25th and 26th, contest

Trophys both days as well as overall for the two day

Details on web site, the old www.polecataero.com web site, click on the contest bar in the left menu.

Registration at www.2k11opensoar.eventbrite.com

Randy and I are cooking up all kinds of good things for the weekend
Feb 22, 2011, 12:10 PM
Thermal Hunter

I'm ready...

Just Registered

Looking towards another great time !!!

-Jim
Feb 22, 2011, 12:17 PM
Jim

Yer #1 man!
Feb 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
Soaring Circuits
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel View Post
Just Registered

Looking towards another great time !!!

-Jim
Right behind ya Jim. Heck, it's worth it just for the firefly show!

Randy
Feb 22, 2011, 01:09 PM
AMA 7224
Short fat guy is on board . See ya in June!!
Latest blog entry: 1938 Rambler build
Feb 22, 2011, 03:57 PM
Hey Leadchucker

No dang secret weapons this year:-)
Feb 22, 2011, 04:10 PM
OK,

I started a new thread in this forum for the contest so as to not muddy this one up to bad
Feb 22, 2011, 06:20 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Hey guys, I doubt this will be earth-shattering news to all of you, but yesterday my review of the Soaring Circuits CAM went live. Click the link to go check it out. Tell all your flying buddies about it too!

Thanks to Randy for providing such a great product to those of us who like staring up at little bitty dots in the sky!

Andy
Feb 22, 2011, 06:25 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
I read it earlier - nice review, good information
Feb 22, 2011, 07:16 PM
Soaring Circuits
Hey Andy, you need a roadtrip up to PA in June to come to our contest!

Randy
Feb 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrust View Post
Hey Andy, you need a roadtrip up to PA in June to come to our contest!

Randy
That sure would be fun, but it probably won't happen this year. That's quite a haul from Alabama. My big trip every year is SEFF, but it is only five hours from home. I've been watching the Polecat events from afar over the years wishing I could make it to one someday. Folks sure seem to have a good time up there. Maybe I can convince the SEFF CDs to change the LMR contest over to ALES next year...yeah, that's the ticket!

Andy

Quick Reply