Jun 25, 2012, 03:03 PM
AMA 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM
Launching Down instead of up? You are THE MAN!
Comment resulted in spinach sauteed in olive oil and topped with feta cheese being deposited on computer screen
Latest blog entry: 1938 Rambler build
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
You might NEED a skeg for launching in that direction.......
Jun 25, 2012, 04:54 PM
Well, I can land, remember the Grand Esprit Bill? The landing I am refering to in ALES is the one with the prop yoke in the north/south position relative to the fuse. Everyone has been there, if the prop is 90 degrees either way, no foul no penalty. What I was thinking was a 1" radius half circle/1/4" thick material extending from under the motor hung on the fuse in some way. It would appear as if it were a wheel like on a fixed gear scale ship. As I said it is not intended to stop the ship, just keep that front end off the ground.

JimNM, I am speaking of altitude at engine cut off+10 sec. not your total altitude for the flight. I have been at soaring in one way or another for about 40 years, I get the fly high, land on the spot ideas of this hobby.

Really getting stoked to fly the Nats ALES!
Marc
Jun 25, 2012, 05:03 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
The launch zoom has been debated to death, with a lot of energy and emotion - and has not gone anywhere. Turning into a thermal (as per your example) is good just flying
Jun 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
I agree Jim, but as I said, I get the impression that there are some that you view that critically.

Marc
Jun 25, 2012, 05:12 PM
Red Merle ALES VII SJ
Marc,

Do you think the folks with the extra height after 10 seconds of motor shut off had better placement in the contest? In other words do you think they ended the day with a score advantage?

Curtis
Jun 25, 2012, 05:55 PM
At this event no, but we were the top two and I maxed every flight and Greg nearly did, no one else was close. I just know that I had a launch that seemed to just keep going and Geg Prater, the CD, also said he had one like that too. I had no logger, but it felt very reminisent (sp) of those zooms that you feel like you were shot out of a cannon versus just a normal launch. Me bad that I had no data capability.

Marc
Jun 25, 2012, 06:31 PM
Regarding skegs: The Radian has a 3/8 high by about 3 in long piece of plastic under the nose that protects the lower fuselage in a landing. I don't think it helps to stop the plane and no one has ever complained about it being there. So I think this is what Marc is thinking could be used.
Jun 25, 2012, 07:02 PM
Yes John!

Marc
Jun 25, 2012, 08:49 PM
MrE
MrE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss
Questions for the powers-to-be...I know that you can penalize a flier for a "high" launch, but one thing I saw a couple of times this past weekend was ships that made their final run right into lift and I know they exceeded the 200M line by a good bit. The same can be seen with winch launches in TD/J, so how is he judgement viewed by a CD in that circumstance?

Second, after finally doing this some, it would appear to me that some baseline landing skeg could be formulated to allow for the nose/spinner/prop from taking so much concussion and still yield basically a condition that lends no advantage in landing to having a stopping hook up front, thoughts? I can imagine many configurations, but basically you would have a minimum or maximum dimensions in thickness, height, and shape and have that scalable for 2M and Unl size ships, IMO.

Marc
I think if you read the rules carefully there is room for a skeg type thing as long as it does NOT arrest the sliding of the model after touchdown.

From the rules:

Quote:
8. Any device, fixed or retractable, intended to arrest the model aircraft on the ground
during landing is prohibited.
Jun 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
You may be right Mr. E, just went with what was the flow I guess.

Marc
May 26, 2016, 07:39 AM
LSF V-117

Quick Reply