Oct 30, 2010, 08:11 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Build Log

Tipsy S2 build thread, 1930's sport plane

I read an article about the Tipsy S2 in Vintage Airplane (sister publication of E.A.A) a couple of years ago and really fell for the lines of this mid 1930's airplane.

Ernest Tips designed this and other airplanes. I found this web site that has more history on this designer and his airplanes.
http://www.tipsy-histories.com/

I found this additional information on the Fairey Tipsy Junior thread with information posted by Vintage1 and Adrian Britton.

OO-TIP S.2 c/n 29

Constructed during 1936 and fitted with a Ava 27hp engine and an open cockpit
Registered OO-ASB with CofR 399 to Ernest Oscar Tips on 07/04/37. One day later
it was already cancelled. On 07/06/39 it was registered G-AFVH with CofR 9141.
Its CofA was issued on 08/07/39 (no. 161). On 29/08/39 it was registered to Raymond Claud Stafford-Allen at Norwich
Fitted with a Douglas Sprite 24HP engine and stored during the war. It was sold to Fairey Aviation Co. Ltd. at White Waltham
On 27/07/49 it was cancelled as 'sold abroad' and sold to Ernest Oscar Tips at Gosselies.
It was flown back to Gosselies as OO-ASB.
It was painted as OO-TIP and used for demonstrations by Avions Fairey.
When Ernest Tips died, it became property of his son Martin Tips. During 1966 he donated
it to the Musée Royal de l'Armee at Brussel. There it was displayed as a tribute to Ernest Oscar Tips.
On 18/02/86 it was dismantled and on 25/03/86 it was transported to Gosselies, there it was reassembled and
on 29/03/86 it was used for an exhibition at Gosselies. It was again dismantled and transported to the
Musee Royal de l'Armee where it is on display at this moment.

I used the attached three view and blew it up to a 50" span. I plan on using a Scorpion 3008-32 and a 3S2100 pack. The construction will be built up balsa construction. I am expecting all up weight in the 35 to 40 ouce range.

I built a Ryan's Daughter from Peter Rake a couple of years ago and really liked how it flies. I also like the simple fuse design that is part of most of Peter's designs. The tail feathers are built up and the wing will be fully sheeted.

I have attached some pictures of 00-TIP which is in a Brussels Belgium.

I will post pictures of the progress.

Denny
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Nov 09, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2010, 10:09 AM

Tail Feathers

The rudder and elevators are formed from 1/16 x 3/16 balsa. I made forms from foamboard.
Oct 30, 2010, 10:12 AM
Construction of the stab and elevators. The sticks and sheet balsa are 3/16.
Oct 30, 2010, 10:17 AM

Fuse sides

The fuse sides are 3/16 balsa sheet and 3/16 balsa sticks.
Oct 30, 2010, 01:23 PM
Visitor from Reality
A really sweet model - about time someone 'did' it!

A suggestion, if I may. Some years back, I designed a 53" Chilton DW1, which had severely tapered wingtips similiar to your Tipsy. Worrying about tip stalling, especially on the downgoing aileron side of the wing, I built in considerable aileron differential.

I recall it had some 3/4" up travel for 1/8" downtravel - which would have been much easier if programable trannies had been invented. Mine was done by funny shaped bellcranks and so on, from a central single servo.

Achieved the aim. Despite a tiny tailplane, it was hard to get her to stall and she never did get to a spin.

Yours will be much lighter - my Chilton had an Enya 40 four stroke engine in it, so you're going to win hands down on wing loading. But with those narrow, pointed tips and the ailerons going all the way out, aileron differential won't hurt and could make her a lot more docile and reliable at low speed.

Good luck with your project

Dereck
Oct 30, 2010, 01:28 PM
Dereck,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will plan to doing just that. I also plan to build the wing with some washout. It really is a beautiful design, love the elliptical wings and tail surfaces. I used Compufoil 3d for the wing design.

Denny
Oct 30, 2010, 04:53 PM
Denny,
Nice job so far! I'll be watching. I am working on a Tipsy Trainer myself. (don't want to hijack your thread, just thought I'd show some pics).
Oct 31, 2010, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 170flyer
Denny,
Nice job so far! I'll be watching. I am working on a Tipsy Trainer myself. (don't want to hijack your thread, just thought I'd show some pics).
Looks good, Feel free to post pix of your progress. What size is your trainer? I think Mr Tips designed some really beautiful airplanes.

Are you going to duplicate the G-AFWT color scheme? I plan on using the 00-TIP scheme for mine

Denny
Oct 31, 2010, 11:37 AM
Continuing work on the fuse. In order to glue the front 1/4" pieces of the fuse and firewall I needed to space the fuse from the building board. (At this point the fuse is upside down) I have some scrap 1/4" balsa and 3/4" plywood that did the trick. Use triangles to make sure everything is square.
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Mar 08, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
Oct 31, 2010, 11:40 AM
Here are the FW and FWa. The front cowl will be held on with mangets and dowel pins.
Oct 31, 2010, 11:44 AM
Pictures of gluing the front 1/4" balsa and firewall onto the fuse. (Again the fuse is upside down)
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Mar 08, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Oct 31, 2010, 11:46 AM
Here are my works in progress PDF plans. The first two pages are more or less complete. The wing will have more details added and mistakes corrected as I go along.
Oct 31, 2010, 12:03 PM
Visitor from Reality
This laser cutting business really has opened up the field. I still have a copy of my Chilton plan - with a much simpler tapered wing - and wonder what impelled me to draw up a set of tapered wing ribs with washout and a thickness variation to a couple of percent thicker at the tips, on a sheet of paper using drafting tools and a pencil!

What I learned in High School tech drawing and metalwork classes finally came in really useful

Despite all those advances, I still draw my plans in '2D', though I have gotten up to DesignCAD...

These are going to be cute and very different models. Best to both of you with them

D
Oct 31, 2010, 03:27 PM
Denny, my trainer is 1/7 ( about 57") and yes I do plan on duplicating G-AFWT. I will be doing a build but not for awhile. The Trainer is my first design and build. Once I designed the wings, I had to order the wood and build them! I have not finished with the cad work on the fuse and tail section. Right now I am trying to finish up some planes that are half built. I am planing on a late winter early spring build on the Trainer. Until then I look forward to watching your build!
Oct 31, 2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 170flyer
Denny, my trainer is 1/7 ( about 57") and yes I do plan on duplicating G-AFWT. I will be doing a build but not for awhile. The Trainer is my first design and build. Once I designed the wings, I had to order the wood and build them! I have not finished with the cad work on the fuse and tail section. Right now I am trying to finish up some planes that are half built. I am planing on a late winter early spring build on the Trainer. Until then I look forward to watching your build!
170 flyer,

This is my second CAD design. It is fun? to build from your plans and catch bugs in the plans.....

I assume you are a 170 driver? I am a PA-28 driver although not current, too much to do this last year.

Denny