Oct 29, 2010, 01:26 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Astro Flight Super Monterey: Build Log!

Hello, folks! I couldn't find any useful information about this plane, so I'm starting my own build log. :-) I bought the kit from someone who had it laying around in his workshop, and finally I'm starting the build. This is my first kit build, I've been ARFing it since I started this hobby (3 years ago). I got 3 little kids, so the most time I get is a solid block of 30 minutes a day, unless I get up before everybody else does and sneak down to my workshop. :-)

Any tips, hints, pointers would be appreciated.

If anyone knows this plane (the Super Monterey, not the Monterey ... the Super Monterey is an improved follow up model to the Monterey, as per the manual) and can share any insight, even if it's just a flight report or anything at all, I'd love to hear about it.

I got into gliders a few months ago after purchasing a Radian. I'm more of a leisurely sport plus some 3D flyer, but I (surprisingly) really love flying the Radian. So I can't wait for the maiden of my Super Montery (in who knows how many months :-) )
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2010, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
And here's the first pic ... The manual says to start with the wings, but I figured, since this is my first kit build, I'll start with the tail feathers.
Oct 29, 2010, 04:20 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
I always start with the tail feathers as well as it enables me to get into the designers way of writing and doing things. Watching with interest.
Oct 29, 2010, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeW
I always start with the tail feathers as well as it enables me to get into the designers way of writing and doing things. Watching with interest.
Thanks for the interest! Wasn't sure if anyone is even going to care! :-) You're from the UK, huh? I got an RCM&E subscription. It's partially their fault that I got the itch to start building kits! :-)
Oct 29, 2010, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
Tail feathers are almost ready for covering. I already sanded the elevators to a taper, need to do the same for the rudder. Then make the LE of the vertical stab round (more sanding). Fuse is going to be next ...
Oct 29, 2010, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
I got some mini servos from a crashed 500 size heli, was thinking about using those. Whilst they're probably a bit smaller than what this plane asks for, but they're strong and they're metal gear. They should be fine. The Radian has micro servos, mini servos should do it for this one.
Oct 30, 2010, 07:19 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Love this plane.... I had the Astro Flight Monterey in my "yout" some 30+ years ago. Good luck on the build!
Oct 30, 2010, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmerm
Love this plane.... I had the Astro Flight Monterey in my "yout" some 30+ years ago. Good luck on the build!
Cool! Did yours have a motor? Did it thermal?
Oct 30, 2010, 10:13 AM
SagittaXC

Monterey!!!

Hugo, I'm so glad you started this build!!! I also have the Super Monterey kit... Its slated for my next build....I'm currently finishing a Sagitta XC. The Monterey will be built as a pure sloper not that I have anything against electrics..I fly electrics too. Luckily we have a lot of slopes near by...Anyway, I'm looking forward to your build. These build logs are great and Super Useful...Goodluck!!! Jack T.
Oct 30, 2010, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktrotter
Hugo, I'm so glad you started this build!!! I also have the Super Monterey kit... Its slated for my next build....I'm currently finishing a Sagitta XC. The Monterey will be built as a pure sloper not that I have anything against electrics..I fly electrics too. Luckily we have a lot of slopes near by...Anyway, I'm looking forward to your build. These build logs are great and Super Useful...Goodluck!!! Jack T.
I'm not alone! :-) I got no slopes at all around here, otherwise I'd love to build it as a pure glider!

I wonder how it will balance. The manual says nothing about adding nose weight, and the battery location for the powered version is under the wing. Of course that battery is a good old NiCad, and the motor is an old school brushed one. I'll definitely put the servos under the wing, because I want the space under the canopy to be empty so I can move the battery around.

When do you think you'll start with the build?
Oct 30, 2010, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Since this is a build log, I have to tell you what I found so far: The horizontal stab asks for 3/16" x 1/4" wood, which wasn't in the box! I went ahead and ordered a 12 pack from Tower, no big deal. Also, the horizontal stab is pretty much a scratch build, all the wood had to be cut (obviously, because it wasn't in the box, except for the 3/16" x 1/2" wood :-) ).

No big deal! Just sharing my findings.
Oct 30, 2010, 08:10 PM

My Monterey - 1975

Greetings all;
So as I said... I had a Monterey that I built in my "yout".. (about 1974). Here are 2 pictures I dug out of my archives. Love the way it looked back then. I sold it for about $25 in auction.... never thought I'd miss it....

I wasn't used to a higher performance plane (which the Monterey was in the day). Launching on a hi-start and was a real novice at thermalling I struggled to get more than about 5 or so minute flights. I'm sure it would have performed much better on slope.

Ultimately I built a set of Aquila wings for the Monterey fuse and had the floater that wouldn't come down!

Keep on building!

Kurt
Last edited by kzimmerm; Oct 30, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Oct 30, 2010, 08:17 PM
Ya see... my Monterey had a slab stab & rudder. That is why I removed a lot of wood to make it lighter.

Kurt
Oct 30, 2010, 08:22 PM
Cool. I love reading these.
Oct 30, 2010, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmerm
Greetings all;
So as I said... I had a Monterey that I built in my "yout".. (about 1974). Here are 2 pictures I dug out of my archives. Love the way it looked back then. I sold it for about $25 in auction.... never thought I'd miss it....

I wasn't used to a higher performance plane (which the Monterey was in the day). Launching on a hi-start and was a real novice at thermalling I struggled to get more than about 5 or so minute flights. I'm sure it would have performed much better on slope.

Ultimately I built a set of Aquila wings for the Monterey fuse and had the floater that wouldn't come down!

Keep on building!

Kurt
Nice!

Quick Reply