Oct 28, 2010, 08:04 AM
SILURIA / UK
Thread OP
Discussion

RMILEC was $10 - (now a bit more!) OSD review

Purchased from www.cnchelicopter.com (xmseller of ebay)
$8.99 plus shipping
Excellent service for this US based company. Good communications and fast shipping/delivery to EU. Highly recommended

Detail
Weight: 4 grammes
Dimensions: 35mm * 17mm
Connections: Voltage 1(also supply), Voltage 2, video and ground
Voltage Range: Unspecified, but tested with 2 and 3s. 2s is reported to be an issue when the battery gets too low
Will probably support 4s, but not able to verify
Durability: board protected by heatshrink.
Power type: this unit uses a 78L05 linear regulator onboard.
Build quality: fairly good. Joints appear well done although flux residue not cleaned off from some components.
Status indicator: LED flashing red for no video detected. Continuous when synched and working
GPS support: NO

Display
Shows supply voltage(s) and elapsed time since power up
If connected, also shows a second voltage
At power up, Manufacturer logo displayed briefly

First impressions
Wow - this is small and light. And a very good price. And such a perfect solution for small / weight critical aircraft. Maybe too good to be true... ?? Only one way to find out....

Connecting up
The OSD arrived with different connectors to some of the pictures out on the web - 2 pin servo type rather than the larger and heavier screw terminals
Connecting up
Hooking up the OSD is very simple. Three wires only for a single battery FPV setup. Four wires for a dual battery.
Connections are clearly printed on the rear of the board
Unusually there is no vid in and vid out. Connects directly to the vid signal and provides overlay

Testing
No interference noted against UHF rx or GPS
No impact on video quality
Powering off / on did not impact video
Voltage accuracy of 98% compared to a calibrated meter. Happy with that. Good enough for FPV
Minimal current draw. Hardly noticeable

Configuration
Very simple and straightforward.
A number of pre-set layouts are available and easily accessed via the single configuration button.
Pressing and holding the button for several seconds puts you into layout selection mode.
Subsequent presses toggles the various layouts.
Once the desired layout is found this will be automatically selected after a short period of no further key presses. This is retained after a power cycle.

Improvements Needed
This is a very basic OSD and improvements can always be made such as on/off control from rx, but for the price it's very good value and should be judged against that.
The only real criticism is the characters cannot be viewed against a bright background. The dark bands intended to address this do not work well and take up a large part of the screen. Dark outlining of characters as in some other OSD's would address this considerably.
It would be nice to have the option to disable the timer if needed.
A manual isn't really needed, but would be advantageous for some. Details of voltage ranges supported should really be provided.

Flying
In use I had absolutely no problems with this once the characters were positioned lower in the display.
Test flown with a TriCopter and this provided a massive improvement in knowing when the battery was about to give out. Not wanting the weight or expense of a full blown GPS OSD makes this a perfect choice on a Tri.
Having that voltage in the display means you know exactly when you are at your limits - fly longer with security of knowing when it is time to land.
At this price I'll never fly without an OSD again.

Summary
Simple. Easy to connect and setup.
This is not a replacement for GPS OSD
Ideal OSD for those on a real tight budget - or as interim until can get a GPS capable OSD.
No excuse to fly without an OSD ever again...

Sample video showing OSD in use....
This was taken just before sunset so really demonstrates how the characters show against bright areas in the sky

Sample video showing OSD modes....
(In hindsight I should have recorded this against a better background, but if nothing else it also demonstrates choosing mode is important)

Some pictures...
Last edited by Shikra; Feb 01, 2011 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Added pictures
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2010, 08:17 AM
Nice review.

This will be perfect for my Slow Stick.

Thanks.
Oct 28, 2010, 08:50 AM
Flying like an Angel.
thanks for the great review.
Oct 28, 2010, 08:51 AM
yeahp same problem than simpleOSD, the parallel connection with video signal return that kind of flashing problem with the black background, usually camera got stronger signal and flash it,
an in/out design would not return this.

What the 6 pads in the PCB are for? maybe ICSP ?
Oct 28, 2010, 09:04 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Great review

Being new to all this it gave me the confidence to order one.

thanks
Oct 28, 2010, 09:09 AM
Did you get it on video?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape
Nice review.

This will be perfect for my Slow Stick.

Thanks.
My thoughts exactly!
Oct 28, 2010, 09:32 AM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
Nice review, this is a good OSD for the price, I'm very happy with it..
Oct 28, 2010, 12:57 PM
Thank's for the nice review.

Patrick
Oct 28, 2010, 02:02 PM
Falling with style
Great review thanks!

One thing I don't understand, how can the video be overlay ed if there is no vid in / out? How is the cam / vtx connected to this?
Oct 28, 2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred
Great review thanks!

One thing I don't understand, how can the video be overlay ed if there is no vid in / out? How is the cam / vtx connected to this?
You still hook the Video and ground to this...
Oct 28, 2010, 02:26 PM
Falling with style
Yes, I understand that.

So I guess you connect both the VTX and the CAM on the video pins?
Oct 28, 2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred
Yes, I understand that.

So I guess you connect both the VTX and the CAM on the video pins?
Yes just "Y" them in..
Oct 28, 2010, 02:38 PM
Falling with style
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-unit
Yes just "Y" them in..
Ok thanks for clearing that up
Oct 28, 2010, 06:45 PM
Thou who know not
Nice review, I ordered 2 and why not? They are perfect any plane that doesn't need an amp meter and GPS guidance.
Oct 28, 2010, 11:50 PM
I wonder what the input impedance of the 2nd voltage input is. Is it suitable for RX RSSI? (I ordered 4 of them BTW, waiting for shipment)

Quick Reply