Oct 27, 2010, 04:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

BoxFly Simple Foamboard plane good for windy days with video & plans

I recently posted a video of a plane I build about 1 month ago called Simple box flier. I decided to do a build thread on it and to give it the name BoxFly.

Boxfly is a plane that can do a snap roll in a heart beat. It's lots of fun to fly and with less throw on the controls if would work good for a trainer.

I have flown it in wind at better than 20mph, with slight wind 8 to 12 mph the wind has very little effect on it. This is a heavy plane the way I built it, but it is very strong and as a result of the extra weight it does well in wind. It comes in at 17oz AUW which is about 4 to 5oz. more than most 30" planes I build.

I have lots of pictures soo I will enter new post rather than try to put everything in one post. The pictures will have a brief explanation of what is going on.

You will notice I used a craft glue for the build but and good foam glue will do. If I had it to do over I would use Hot Glue.

The plane is built using sheets of Dollartree Foamboard 20" X 30"

I have added plans for building. I would like to express my sincere appreciation to potshot for drawing up these plans Thank you
Last edited by propjobbill; Nov 01, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2010, 04:16 PM
CMelton
cool looking so far I need a windy flyer with this weather I am having lets see more
Oct 27, 2010, 04:51 PM
Thread OP
I leave the paper on both side of the foamboard this adds about 2oz. or more to the plane but makes it much stronger. And the extra weight helps out in heavy winds. Of course you can remove the paper if you like. In fact if you don't remove the paper you need to do taping to make sure it stays on the foam.

The paper on Rediboard foam is very thin. The paper on this foam likes to let loose after you finish the plane. So you make the call, I like the extra strength the paper gives.
Oct 27, 2010, 05:00 PM
CMelton
keep it coming
Oct 27, 2010, 05:25 PM
CMelton
are you gonna post plans on this with the measurements of everything
Oct 27, 2010, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
For the aileron hinge tape I first attach it to the top of the wing with the aileron folded down, also a cut a 45 degree into the aileron on the bottom side of the wing. When finished I fold the aileron back on the top of the wing and use clear 2" packaging tape on the bottom. This type of hinge has worked well for me on large surfaces like ailerons.

This is my first build to post so I will be happy to answer questions later. I realize it may not be in the best sequence and maybe I'm over explaining things; But when I first started building 40 some years ago I wish someone would have over explained things to me.
Oct 27, 2010, 06:46 PM
CMelton
I like your detail it explains everything great
Oct 27, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thread OP
After I finish the plane I use clear 2" packaging tape to cover everything and protect the plane from water, and hopefully the paper coming loose after the build.
Once you cover it with the tape it becomes super strong and easy to keep clean the tape used weights about 1/2 oz or less.

The plane is 30" wingspan
8" wing cord 240 sq.in wing area
the total all up weight was 17 oz with the battery.

I am not very good at Cad programs for the plans. But one of the fliers here on the forum has agreed to draw up a set of plans for me. So if everything goes well I will post plans in the future. I can post the plans as an attachment picture but i at this point don't know how to make plans that can be down loaded to make the plane from.

The Motor is Tower Pro 1000 Kv 2410-12T 3 I have been using a 9x7 slow fly prop with a 1000ma 2S battery. I use a program by a flier here on this forum called WebOcalc to let me know what system to use. I love the program it is much easier to use that Moto-calc whic I also have.

Let me add this; if you are going to fly is heavy winds you may want to go to a 3s battery, and maybe an 8x6 propeller.

I have found that your motor should weigh between 50 to 60 grams for a 17 oz plane and WebOcalc will tell you what size and type of prop for the way you want to fly.

You will find the software here http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/
This link will take you to where the program is explained
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254742
Last edited by propjobbill; Oct 30, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Oct 27, 2010, 07:03 PM
Thread OP
I hope this will be of some benefit to someone. This is a good flying plane the balance point is about 1 1/2' to 2" back from the leading edge of the wing. Further back if you are an experienced flier. The further back you go the sharper the response and also the harder it is to control.
Oct 30, 2010, 01:08 PM
Sweet plane, looks like a great flyer. It's nice too see a small plane with some heft to it, lol, a little extra weight for windy days really fits my flying style. Every time I build a light weight plane, I end up adding bigger batteries and motor, cause there's lots of wind around here

Can you post some rough dimensions of the tail feathers?
Oct 30, 2010, 05:16 PM
Thread OP
Hi Click, I am hoping to have a set of plans posted some time in the not too far future. One of the fliers here is drawing them up for me now. But I do have a drawing that will answer your question. Everything may not be the exact size in the drawing but close enough to go by.

Quick Reply