Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 27, 2010, 10:35 AM
MMR
MMR
Martian
Contest

DESS Turkey Fly & LSF task day – November 21st

On November 21st. the Down East Soaring Society - DESS - in Wilson, NC is planning on hosting a ‘6 minute ladder’ duration contest.

Google Map link to our field:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.017402&z=16

Trying to keep it fun, challenging & simple – so here are the rules:

• Fly any SAILPLANE you wish to fly. Electrics should have a LMR device that can be set to 200M cutoff.
• Launch as many times as you want and when you want and with the SAILPLANE of your choice – you can switch planes
• Your first flight to be counted for the ladder has to exceed 6 minutes. The next flight 12 minutes, followed by an 18 minute flight, etc.
• There will be no penalty for ‘overflying’ your time – so if you’re waaay up there and going strong and you want to get that 1 hour LSF task – go for it! The flight will still count for the ladder task you’re currently working on, but you can’t ‘skip’ a step of the ladder…
• You have to land within the field boundaries for the flight to count. We will have LSF landing tapes on site for those wanting to complete those tasks or just practice.

Brief pilot’s meeting at 9:30, winches open @ 9:45 AM. Please plan on arriving a bit earlier to take care of the formalities (AMA card & frequency check)

We’re looking forward to hosting this event and hope that we will have a great mix of planes and pilots!

If you're planning to fly with us, please post & include your frequency.

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2010, 10:38 AM
MMR
MMR
Martian

Pilot's roster

In no particular order:
Kyle 2.4
Brady 28/21
Oleg 32/34/48 or 2.4 maybe
Kevin 2.4
Greg 2.4
Tom 39
Jesper 25
Martin 2.4
Dick 45 - after lunch
George 26/36 or 2.4 maybe
Jeff 2.4
Jim 2.4
Russ 2.4
Frank 32
Sang 46
Last edited by MMR; Nov 16, 2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Update pilot roster
Oct 27, 2010, 10:39 AM
MMR
MMR
Martian

Reserved...

Just in case...
Oct 27, 2010, 08:07 PM
Service Engine Soon
Ch 21 also.
Oct 29, 2010, 09:21 AM

LSF Tasks and Altitude Limiting devices

It looks like your day will be a lot of fun. However, at the present time, the League of Silent Flight does NOT recognize tasks performed with electric sailplanes even if they are equipped with an altitude limiting device. A report on how ALE sailplanes fared against "traditionally" launched sailplanes in your ladder event would be good input to the LSF leadership. Thanks for your efforts to explore "mixed" soaring.
Jim Deck LSF Secretary
Oct 29, 2010, 10:11 AM
MMR
MMR
Martian
Jim - thank you for the 'official' clarification.

I forgot to spell that out in the write-up

Just assumed that those involved with LSF tasks would know the rules

Martin
Oct 30, 2010, 05:31 AM
I do not think Martin intended for any LSF tasks to be accomplished by an electric sailplane. He may not be versed in all the LSF rules, but there will be folks on the field that do. The main planned activity is the ladder task contest, however we have had an interest in doing a Level IV goal and return as well as some of the participants are working on Levels I and II.

Dick
LSF V #85
Oct 30, 2010, 08:35 PM
Jeff Carr
Right now I am planning on coming. 2.4 and Ill have a new 3 meter with me. I do need a Level IV goal and return. That will finish L IV for me. I am recruiting the other guys too. Bob marked his calander and Russ is just finishing up his new one. Jim is the happy owner of a very Green Supra. So Hopefully we will make it

Jeff
Oct 31, 2010, 06:31 PM
Count me in. 2.4
I need a level III goal and return.
Jim Carroll
Nov 01, 2010, 08:33 AM
I am hoping to make it.
Just starting my level II LSF tasks.Hoping to get some of them done during this event.

Russ
Nov 01, 2010, 08:56 AM
MMR
MMR
Martian

14 Pilots so far...

This is great - we have some goal and returns, and some guys working on level II tasks, including me (hopefully - see below)

Dick and I were at the field yesterday. Conditions were good, bit on the breezy side and the thermals seemed to dissipate lower than usual, so you had to fly multiple thermals to put up a longer flight.
I managed a 17 minute flight, Dick stayed up for over 30... I have one duration flight to go for that portion of the level II tasks. On what was going to be my last flight of the day I managed to 'land' in the woods I was aggressively sloping the treeline to try and get every second I could... The tree guy will meet me there today after work and hopefully we'll get the plane down w/out significant damage... Otherwise I will have to fly my 2M Spirit Elite...

Martin
Nov 02, 2010, 03:20 PM
MMR
MMR
Martian

This contest will qualify for the LSF contest requirements!

We have 14 pilots lined up - so far, hopefully more will decide to join us

The majority are flying TD ships off a winch so we should have enough contetstants to qualify this event for the LSF level II & III contest requirements!

So just by showing up and flying you've completed one of the six contests required for LSF II & III

Martin
Last edited by MMR; Jan 26, 2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Nov 04, 2010, 07:43 PM
You can drop me from the freq list. My plan to attend the Turkey contest just got shot down by another youth soccer tournament... Wilmington this weekend, possibly to your fine town of Wilson next weekend, then Statesville on the contest weekend. What we do for our kids!

You guys have fun.

Scott
Nov 05, 2010, 08:31 AM
MMR
MMR
Martian
Sorry you won't make it...

On the bright side, if you make it to Wilson next SUnday, there will probably be some soaring going on at the field...

Martin
Nov 11, 2010, 12:55 AM
what's the motor for?
right now i only have dlg's and electrics, nothing winchable. will look into LMR device this week. anyway - i'll be there.

frank ch 32
(Oleg i though you got rid of ch 32, mine are synth so i can change if necessary)