New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by Invertigo

FP Pic Newbie Problems

I've had my piccolo fun for about 3 weeks now and I run it on a complete stock setup, Piccoboard and stock motors, li-poly e-tech 1200 2s. I can hover it for about 10 seconds and then the oscillations around my living room begin as I over correct again and again. I'm getting better at being proactive and anticipating the heli response and can stop the oscillation usually or I can do a "controlled crash" to the wood floor. I was wondering if I was having an unusually hard time or are these things really that hard to fly. I never fly with the canopy on and I don't have the tail fin taped in place (will those things make a difference) overall control seems delayed and sluggish despite what appears to be adequate movement of the flybar. I practice about 4 feet of the ground so i don't think ground effect is an issue, although i am flying in a confined space. I have no time on the sim and prefer to learn on the real thing even if it takes a few birds. Any pointers are much appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by TMorita
It really is that difficult to fly.

If you don't use a simulator I estimate your chances of flying it are about 20% after six months. If you use a simulator the chances are about 90% after six months.

That's why we recommend a simulator so highly.

I bought an ECO Piccolo as my first helicopter. I couldn't hover it after four months of trying. I got frustrated and bought an ECO 8, and I was successfully hovering on the 2nd day for 30-40 seconds.

The micro helis are probably twice as hard to hover as the non-micro helicopters.

Toshi
Last edited by TMorita; Jul 11, 2003 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by wildpalms
Professional idiot
Get some sim time in. I've a 100 hours or so on Aerofly Pro which is far too easy compared to the real Pic.

I've got the same setup as you and after a week and a half am hovering nicely in the spare bedroom. Today I managed a 10.5min flight (no touchdown) including side in and a little nose in.

I found I overcontrolled quite a bit in the early stages but it will suddenly click.

--
Dave
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:30 PM
GMM
Find More Posts by GMM
GMM
I have a Fun Pic that I have been flying about 1 month. It took me a week before I could hover it. I don't have a Sim, so here is how I did it:

I made a training gear out of bamboo skewers and ping pong balls. I then let it scoot around on the floor to get the feel for the controls. I gradually worked my way off the ground, and began to hover. I was having fair success, then my gyro went out on the picoboard (The heli started to piroette violently). I changed to separates, and went to using a heading hold gyro. Night and day difference. With the heading hold gyro, I could hover with ease. I took the training gear off after two weeks, and have not used it since. I have been working on forward flight, but I'm having limited success, I don't think the Fun Pic can do forward flight easily without a few mods.

Let me add, I have been flying RC for about 20 years, and I do some competition aerobatic flying, so If you are just starting out, you may want to go with a Sim. If you have some RC experience, a Sim is not really necessary. Going to the living room to fly, good luck.

Oh almost forgot, I set my radio up with 40% expo to soften the control response around the center...that helped out alot.

Greg
Last edited by GMM; Jul 11, 2003 at 11:32 PM.