Jan 16, 2011, 07:11 PM
Designing something...

Floats/float mounts

I got the itch this weekend to mount floats on my Turbo Porter. I don't know much about floats or float planes. I'd like to find out if mounting floats on this plane is practical. My first thought is to add an extra "float" attach point where the fuselage starts to taper. I would then use the standard gear mounts plus the extra for attach point for mounting the floats. Thoughts?

If I get this far I'll need some floats. Are there any really super light floats available or will have to make my own?

Brian
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2011, 08:16 PM
Airliner Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
I like to cut wire with a cutoff wheel in the dremel. Anything 14ga or larger gets done that way.

charlie
Hmmm should of though of that before LOL. Thanks you just saved my hands. Will also get that silver acylic stuff next time I am near Mr. Franklin.

Ok just placed online orders from four different places for the rest of the stuff I need:

Lots of .010 and .020 Styrene
(4) 9 gram $2.50 HXT900 servos for the wings
2S 2650 40-50C LiPo (overkill? Yes! I can fly for 40 min and charge in 15 min)
HeadsUpRC 450 sport
(2) Futaba S3102 for the tail. The only thing I had on hand already are HS-60s and I would rather overkill with these Futaba ones I have laying around.
3 amp seperate BEC
0.0075 25'' 'X 40'' sheet of Acetate they didn't have .008 but I don't think it should be a problem.

I got a really good deal ($4) for the Acetate sheet here: http://www.dickblick.com/products/gr...acetate-sheets

Painted the cowl and spinner today and got most of the wire bending done.
Last edited by WAGliderGuy; Jan 16, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
Jan 16, 2011, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy
Hmmm should of though of that before LOL. Thanks you just saved my hands. Will also get that silver acylic stuff next time I am near Mr. Franklin.

Ok just placed online orders from four different places for the rest of the stuff I need:

Lots of .010 and .020 Styrene
(4) 9 gram $2.50 HXT900 servos for the wings
2S 2650 40-50C LiPo (overkill? Yes! I can fly for 40 min and charge in 15 min)
HeadsUpRC 450 sport
(2) Futaba S3102 for the tail. The only thing I had on hand already are HS-60s and I would rather overkill with these Futaba ones I have laying around.
3 amp seperate BEC
0.0075 25'' 'X 40'' sheet of Acetate they didn't have .008 but I don't think it should be a problem.

I got a really good deal ($4) for the Acetate sheet here: http://www.dickblick.com/products/gr...acetate-sheets

The name 'dickblick' made me a little hesitant but its just an art store so I guess its harmless right? Haha

Painted the cowl and spinner today and got most of the wire bending done.
DickBlick is a HUGE craft company. They are totally legit in the craft world. But yeah it is kind of a weird name.

HT
Jan 16, 2011, 09:39 PM
Airliner Builder
Oh....whoops. Well I was never a big art guy LOL.

The Futaba servos are 21 g. I don't think I will notice 13g more weight

But wait since Pat's models are so light already I probally will haha
Jan 22, 2011, 11:50 PM
Out of curiosity could one install a glow engine in this? Seagull Models (dist. by Horizon Hobby) will be releasing a 63" ARF Pilatus Porter in March 2011 in the US, it takes a .46 - .55 engine but does not have flaps. I'm also interested in building and finishing my own model but would prefer glow over electric. I would love to see a larger version of this, say 80" for a .90 four stroke.
Jan 23, 2011, 12:12 AM
Airliner Builder
No way that could happen. Pat's models are made for electric from the ground up and putting a glow in there would tear this plane apart. I hear yah about wanting a glow in it but it just won't work.

BTW, look at the weight of that 63'' ARF - 7.1 lbs!?!?!
Jan 23, 2011, 10:14 AM
Is it Friday yet?
Quote:
I am pondering over the two wing joiner rods. I could only get 12'' pieces at the LHS but I need at least around 14'' for each rod. Do you think Home Depot will have some or maybe Lowes? There is also Tap Plastics but I am not sure if they sell metals. I got most of the landing gear bending done today and my hands are sore from using the 15+ year old wire cutters lol. Add wire cutters to the list!
Did you find the wing joiner rods? I'm having the same problem. LHS can order them but, I have to pay for the whole batch of rods.
Jan 23, 2011, 10:43 AM
Neophyte hacker
http://www.acp-composites.com/home.php

Where I get all my CF stuff. Find the size that fits the tube you are using.

charlie
Jan 23, 2011, 10:50 AM
Neophyte hacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mforester
Out of curiosity could one install a glow engine in this? Seagull Models (dist. by Horizon Hobby) will be releasing a 63" ARF Pilatus Porter in March 2011 in the US, it takes a .46 - .55 engine but does not have flaps. I'm also interested in building and finishing my own model but would prefer glow over electric. I would love to see a larger version of this, say 80" for a .90 four stroke.
I would suggest you call Pat, order his plans and then scale them up. BUT...you'd have to redesign the entire plane in the process. Adding structure at many places. And, it would have to be well thought out cause otherwise you'd end up with a 40lb model. Some folks like to do that, others don't.

charlie
Jan 23, 2011, 12:45 PM
Airliner Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
http://www.acp-composites.com/home.php

Where I get all my CF stuff. Find the size that fits the tube you are using.

charlie
Thanks for the site but all they carry is Carbon Fiber and other composites

Do you think I can get away with having a wing joiner rod short 1'' at both ends?

Also, I have added an extra magnet on each wing and the fuesalage sides beacuse I don't want to trust the one magnet design.
Jan 23, 2011, 02:48 PM
WAGliderGuy,

The composite store carries tubes that will work in place of the brass. At: http://www.acp-composites.com/home.php?cat=4663 the second item down, Carbon Fiber Tubes use the pull down for .156 OD tube, that will work as a wing joiner. I am not affiliated with that store! Lighter than brass and stronger too. The two brass tubes cut to length weigh 25 grams together and the carbon are about 10 grams for two. On a 25 ounce plane, saving 15 grams can be significant, especially if you save weight in several places.

If you want the brass, try a hardware store like True Value or even home depot, they often have a larger K&S metal bin that has more sizes than the hobby store and you can get a longer brass tube in the right size, my local true value has the 5/32" tube in 36" length.

What kind of magnets are you using? I've got the single magnet set on each wing (rare earth type) and it is hard to get the wing off without damaging it it is pulled on there so good. With two I would have to grip the wing so hard to get enough hold on it I'd crush it trying to remove it!

Mine came out at 26.8 ounces ready to fly with the brass tubes and it is a sweet flying plane, the nicest flying plane I've ever had actually. It certainly isn't a trainer and requires four channel skills, but it is very docile and flies amazingly slow. I haven't masterd the full flap setting yet.

Now that I see that I've got a carbon tube lying around that fits, going to drop almost half an ounce by using that. I'd like to find some lighter wheels too right now I'm using the dubro super light 3" wheels. Trying to get it down to Pat's 25 ounces!

MForester, for glow keep in mind how little this plane weighs. It should fly with an .10 glow engine and I think the structure could probably take it, not that I recommend it. You might need to add a bit of beef to the tail feathers but I think it would be pretty nose heavy esp. since you'd need the fuel tank up front. I would think that you'd have trouble with the thrust speed of the prop too, the porter needs a slow flyer prop and the glow engines want to turn small props fast which is opposite of what it needs.
Jan 23, 2011, 03:31 PM
Airliner Builder
Well Carbon Fiber does sound attractive. I will check out a local harware store soon, thanks!

I am using 3/16'' rare earth magnets and it holds the wing on fine but I can easily pull the trailing edge off so I installed another one back there. I am not having much trouble at all pulling the off. It has plenty of resistance but I don't have to pull hard enough to break anything.
Jan 23, 2011, 06:32 PM
Neophyte hacker
I thought that was what you were having trouble finding.

For brass, Al and other tubing go to Small Parts. They also have tons of other stuff good for modeling.

http://www.smallparts.com/
Jan 23, 2011, 07:32 PM
Airliner Builder
Wow thanks for the link! Just ordered it through Amazon who carries smallparts.com metals. I also went to the Ben Franklin and got that silver acrylic stuff you recommended - works great on the foam!

I need to get silver solder then I can build the landing gear up. Will a 40W iron be enough? If not I have a blow torch.....
Jan 23, 2011, 07:57 PM
I would get this kit or buy his plans and scale down as it is already designed for a gas engine.

Quick Reply