Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by P. Tritle
New Product

Pilatus Porter 60

I started the 60" Span Pilatus Turbo Porter design 2 or 3 years ago and after being side tracked a couple times the progect ended up on the side lines. Then just for grins I looked in on the plans to see just how far along the project was, and after seeing it was closer then I remembered it to be, decided to go ahead and finish it up and get it built.

The model will be set up with an E-Flight 450 Outrunner for 5 ch. R/C (Yea, Flaps!), so should be a terrific small field flyer in spite of it's relatively large size.

Meanwhile, I desided also to modify the design to incorperate plug in wings to eliminate the joinery on top of the fuselage, and to use one servo for each flap and each aileron. And with that, the plans are done, and the p-type build is finally underway.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by steve1814
One cell short of a Pack
Yea-will be following this one! Sure wish Dumas would release your Storch, been waiting on that for a while

Cheers,
Steve
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:53 AM

Staring with the Fuselage

The fuselage side frames were built in the typical "Stick Frame" fashion. And since the landing gear starts in the middle of the fuselage, the center support is captured between two formers and is made up from a 1/32 ply with a lite ply core supported between two formers.

Next up is to join the sides, so stay tuned, there's more coming real soon..

PAT
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:54 AM
Steve, Yeah, me too. That's going to be a good one, and I know there's a bunch of guys out there chomping at the bit to get one built!

PAT
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by dglo
Cut it twice, still too short
Always good to see one of your builds get started, glad I caught this one from the beginning. Yep, waitin on the Storch too!

Doug
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:44 PM
Doug, It's good to be back. Been so covered up with work that I haven't been able to work in a new p-type in way too long. Can't wait to get this one going. There's a couple of other far more complex designs in the works too, but figured it best to get back with one I could knock out quickly to get back in the groove. And who knows, maybe this one will be done in time to release for Christmas??

PAT
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by cpdude
Designing something...
Cool! Subscribed.

Brian
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by jswain
Gasbags & Gussets

subscribed

subscribed, looks nice - especially the 5' wingspan part.

js
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Yahoo! I've got a 42" rubber freeflight, and they flight absolutely freekin great!
Heh, wait a tick, what happened to the 172? I'm gonna do the same scheme as my freeflighter, the drug running one from AirAmerica, with the sharks teeth.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by brennanj2
brennanj2
Baldguy,

What is the brand of the free flight?

John
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by supercubman
Pat, you think you could pull off running the 9x6 apc 4 blade on her? Would look scale...........

Trey
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:18 PM
Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Onward and upward.
Congratulations Pat. This should be an easy one. Nice and big and square.
I'm sure yours will be a real floater. Mine's a 73 inch wingspan and has no flaps. I wish I had put them on. Oh well, it weighs 4 pounds and 14 ounces. I'll be watching.

Randy
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:09 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanj2 View Post
Baldguy,

What is the brand of the free flight?

John
Heh John,
My freeflight is from the Al Lidbergh design.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:45 AM

Joining the Fuselage Sides

The process begins by pinning the side frames to the Top / Bottom View of the plan and adding the upper cabin formers the cabin top stringer on center. Once the side frames are squared up and the formers are glued in place, the aft cabin former and front windshield header are added.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:51 AM

Adding the First of the Bottom Formers

The fuselage frame is removed from the plan and the bottom formers added in the cabin area, beginning with the landing gear mount assembly. When the LG mount went in it occurred to me that it was basically unsupported on the lower longeron, so as you can see by the red lines on the plans, the bracing will be changed on the plans. I haven't decided whether or not I'll change the p-type -- just a curiosity as to how it might hold up as originally designed?? However, the change will be made on the plans since I know there will be some built that are not as light as the p-type will be, and don't want to take any chances in building in a sure point of failure.