Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jan 23, 2011, 07:00 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
mark hitchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Thanks for the offer Alex. I'll be able to do the work myself. I'm an electronic repair tech so am skilled at small SMD work as well as thru-hole. I opened my VRx last night and the original filter is only soldered in by the legs, no big globs of solder from the filter 'can' to the metal framing for heat sinking. This'll make the swap out much easier...and hopefully better.
Hi Van, don't expect the saw filter to fix your issues, 3km is not right for a patch and a V.
I have a RV Vrx and a DPCAV one and have done the saw filter mod on only one of them and while there is a difference it is not huge. I get 3km video with the 3dbi dipoles so there will be interference from something on your plane or in your area. If video slowly goes grainy then it is unlikely to be from external sources.
I would do range tests with just your vid tx and camera and add something each time to see what is destroying your video range.

Mark
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2011, 07:12 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Thanks Mark. My video to ~1.5miles/2.4km with the V and Patch is actually pretty good, then it just suddenly starts to drop out. I'm not really putting a lot of hope on the SAW filter, but changed it anyway. I think the DPCav system much better quality than the inexpensive Chinese ones. I'm going to reconfigure the mounting of my Vee to move it away from the batteries more to see if that makes any difference. In short though, I'm actually thinking the move to 1280MHz is probably the better option. I'll wait for Alex's new 'experiment' first though. No sense in buying the 1280 VTx/VRx and a patch if Alex's new toy will out perform a patch anyway. I'm in no rush...got time to 'play' first.
Jan 23, 2011, 07:39 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
tuppertn's Avatar
To me, good video that suddenly drops out suggests multipath interference.

kendall
Jan 24, 2011, 10:32 AM
Registered User
rsowder's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Thanks Mark. My video to ~1.5miles/2.4km with the V and Patch is actually pretty good, then it just suddenly starts to drop out. I'm not really putting a lot of hope on the SAW filter, but changed it anyway. I think the DPCav system much better quality than the inexpensive Chinese ones. I'm going to reconfigure the mounting of my Vee to move it away from the batteries more to see if that makes any difference. In short though, I'm actually thinking the move to 1280MHz is probably the better option. I'll wait for Alex's new 'experiment' first though. No sense in buying the 1280 VTx/VRx and a patch if Alex's new toy will out perform a patch anyway. I'm in no rush...got time to 'play' first.
I moved from 910MHz to 1280MHz and it was a HUGE improvement. I can now fly over areas that I never could before. And I have not even done the SAW filter mod yet.
Jan 24, 2011, 06:35 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
I think the SAW mod is only for the 900MHz frequencies anyway. I'm going to be doing some more experimenting with the 900MHz system for now...kinda helps me from flying farther out than I should while I learn the duration/capabilities of my plane. I think the step to 1280MHz will be in the future for me though...
Jan 24, 2011, 09:25 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I think the SAW mod is only for the 900MHz frequencies anyway. I'm going to be doing some more experimenting with the 900MHz system for now...kinda helps me from flying farther out than I should while I learn the duration/capabilities of my plane. I think the step to 1280MHz will be in the future for me though...
I've done the SAW mod to my ready made rc VRX units. They have the same module as the 900MHz units.

-Alex
Jan 26, 2011, 10:30 AM
Cape Cod
tom3holer's Avatar
Alex,

Can't remember if you commented before or not but how much if any difference did yopu see with the SAW mod?

Tom
Jan 26, 2011, 10:53 AM
JettPilot's Avatar
The Biquad was my first FPV antenna, I used it for over a year ! This brings back memories

Mike
Feb 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
Registered User
rsowder's Avatar
Hi Alex,

I'm going to build this antenna today. What is the optimal wire gauge to use for a 1280mhz antenna?

Thanks!
Randy
Feb 13, 2011, 01:31 PM
Honey Badger
Blue Chip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post
Hi Alex,

I'm going to build this antenna today. What is the optimal wire gauge to use for a 1280mhz antenna?

Thanks!
Randy

If it helps at all - I used the uninsulated piece from a 3 strand piece of romex... basically - house wiring. It's solid copper.
Feb 13, 2011, 05:44 PM
Registered User
rsowder's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
If it helps at all - I used the uninsulated piece from a 3 strand piece of romex... basically - house wiring. It's solid copper.
I do have that at home, but I have 14 and 12 gauge wire. I was wondering which would give me the best signal, or does it matter?
Feb 13, 2011, 06:16 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
It doesn't matter. I usually use 14 AWG romex because it is cheap an plentiful.
Feb 13, 2011, 06:57 PM
Registered User
rsowder's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
It doesn't matter. I usually use 14 AWG romex because it is cheap an plentiful.
Great, thanks for getting back with me. I think I'll use 12 AWG as it's a little more rugged.
Feb 13, 2011, 07:35 PM
Engineer for Christ
IBCrazy's Avatar
That will work fine.
Feb 13, 2011, 08:37 PM
Videopilot
Derek_S's Avatar
Any luck adapting this to LM rx's?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log How To Build a BiQuad RX antenna Talajouy FPV Talk 21 Dec 22, 2010 11:52 PM
Question DIY Biquad antenna for a 900mHz Moosthegoose FPV Talk 5 Jan 14, 2010 03:37 AM
Discussion Antenna tutorial JIMOOO FPV Talk 1 Feb 25, 2007 12:04 AM
Discussion looking for a DIY tutorial. TonyBAMF Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 8 Jan 10, 2006 04:56 PM
I need help to DIY flywire antenna for 36 MHZ RX GoodHeli Radios 5 Aug 24, 2003 08:05 PM