Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Aquacraft vela

HAVE A LOOK AT IT www.aquacraftmodels.com gotta get it NOW
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2010, 11:29 AM
Useful Idiot
I'd guess its origin is China and it might need some materials substituted to make it seaworthy. Why do they not include more meaningful data in their publicity, such as overall weight, ballast weight, mast height etc.? Competition is mentioned. For which class is it designed?
Oct 25, 2010, 12:02 PM
Martin
that link did not work for me first time either, but the info IS there

Aquacraft Vela
LOA---40" (1016mm)
beam--6.5" (165mm)
height--79" (2006mm)
weight--6 lbs (2720 g)
comes with Tactic 2.4 ghz 3 channel radio(and rx)(Tactic TR324)
sail arm servo seems to be a tactic TSX382
rudder servo is tactic SX-100

when you click the buy it online link that takes you to Tower-- $350.
Oct 28, 2010, 05:00 PM
It is unfortunate they don't offer the manual in their Downloads section.
Dawn Trading (Wholesale only) distribute them in Aust. I've asked a dealer friend to get a price.
I've always thought of a sail winch as being a multi revolution drum housed installation.. they say "sail winch" but I think the you migh tbe saying its just a servo actuated arm as in smaller boats. Surely for a boat this size they wouldn't go that way..?
I'm only interested as I am in any available rc sailboat..
I'm not sure about the manner in which the main is attached to the mast.. Not enough detail in th ephotos (closesups).
I've asked the makers for a manual.. If I get it I'll post it here.
Oct 28, 2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel deBugger

Does this mean you are looking to buy a boat?

Larry L.
Oct 28, 2010, 05:29 PM
Not right now.. Just a general interest in what's out there.. I currently own and sail several cheapie chinese boats that I modify before sailing with others.. I know this brings cries of pity from some but it is an interesting hobby.. and within my budget. Doesn't mean I don't envy those with classy boats.. just not likely to own one ( or a Beamer..)
Oct 28, 2010, 06:06 PM
Norman2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel deBugger
It is unfortunate they don't offer the manual in their Downloads section.
Dawn Trading (Wholesale only) distribute them in Aust. I've asked a dealer friend to get a price.
I've always thought of a sail winch as being a multi revolution drum housed installation.. they say "sail winch" but I think the you migh tbe saying its just a servo actuated arm as in smaller boats. Surely for a boat this size they wouldn't go that way..?
I'm not sure about the manner in which the main is attached to the mast.. Not enough detail in th ephotos (closesups).
I've asked the makers for a manual.. If I get it I'll post it here.
Hi, From the photo is seems like the main sail is attached to the mast with
metal sail rings. Looks like a nice first boat. Regards
Norman
Nov 03, 2010, 10:33 PM
Looks nice
Nov 05, 2010, 07:08 PM
Tower Hobbies has these listed. Listed for $350, I am sure they will have the manual for download when they come out.
Nov 08, 2010, 10:59 AM
Boomer1

Vela™ One Meter

Hey Guys,
Just thought I'd join the thread with a few thoughts. I have added pictures of the Vela from AquaCraft to open up the dialog.

When I first saw it, I was impressed with how the boat looks. One of the very cool things about watching full sized racing yachts, is the rainbow of colors on their sales and hulls. Some spectacular views for sure. This looks like other Americas Cup style boats, which are pretty good sailors, time will tell.

The graphics on this boat give an eye appeal that should help it sell. I can't tell if the grahics are decals with a clear coat over them or just surface decals? From what I can see, they are using a similar sail management set up as the 1 M Seawind. The hatch design looks like it might be able to provide a good seal, but I think I'd still form a foam gasket around the lip to be sure.

I like fiberglass hulls over ABS for a number of reasons, but primarily it is stronger, so that is a plus for the Vela for me. In the close up of the mast, you can see they use twisted wires to hold the main on the mast. The loop in the picture looks they might have used "barbed wire" to make it. There are better ways to accomplish this. That baby is just waiting to tear the sails. Carbon fiber mast, is a nice touch, if it is strong enough to handle the amount of sails she carries.

Another thing I am not crazy about is while they reinforce the corners of the sails, they didn't install grommets in the holes to prevent tearing. Even my Monsoon had grommets! I am not impressed with the deck hardware, I'll leave it at that. I know "picky picky".

The boom Vang appears as it might be adjustable, if true, that's a nice touch. I am not sure, but the rudder seems small to me, but it could just be the angle at which the photo was taken. If so, then this boat is again similar to the 1 M Seawind, which in strong winds can be over powered.

To get a real sense of the boat, we'll all have to see it in person. I am going see if I can find one at one of my local hobby shops to get a look see.

It is nice to see another boat on the market, and it will sure look good on the water.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 13, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
Nov 08, 2010, 11:19 AM
Look like single panel sails?! For $350? However, a much better starting point, than the ETNZ. Looks like it could be a winner if they could bring down the price; compare to Victor America3, or Soling, but with radio installed(nice touch). Of course, I'd be curiousto the quality of the f/g hull. Rudder and keel look like proper size, certainly larger than the old TT's. Lets hear more.
Nov 08, 2010, 11:37 AM
Boomer1

Vela 1 M

My thinking is that they would do well to consider selling it two ways. With and without the radio. I don't need or want any more radios. So a fair deduct would be attractive to the more senior RC folks that might be interested.

Boomer
Nov 08, 2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
My thinking is that they would do well to consider selling it two ways. With and without the radio. I don't need or want any more radios. So a fair deduct would be attractive to the more senior RC folks that might be interested.

Boomer
Senior RC folks.............

This looks like another Chinese boat. They can sell their radios/servos for under $30. So including a radio is no big deal re cost. Whether the radio and servos are any good..... that is a big deal.

The specs say this boat is fibreglass with a carbon fibre mast. From experience what the Chinese mean is; the hull is ABS plastic and the mast is plastic. All the fittings are plastic and anything made of metal will rust within a fortnight if exposed to water. Boat should have label stating "This toy should not be used near water".

There are umpteen posts about what's needed to make one of these boats fit to sail. I'll just mention some of the most obvious.

The specs say the boat has a total weight of 2720g. A one metre boat should have a bulb weighing approx. 2500g to 2700g. That is just the bulb (lead ballast). Otherwise they get knocked down in an average wind. The "high torque" servo pulls 11kg/cm @ 6V. This is the minimum recommended for a boat this size. And you have to use 4 x 1.5V batteries - not standard 1.2V as this would not give you enough torque. Servos probably have plastic gears. The two-part plastic mast will buckle if you tension the cotton lines too tight. Oh, and the cotton lines will stretch.

The main features of this boat are the pretty colors on the sails and decals on the hull. For $350 you get another Monsoon or ETNZ. Newbies beware.
Nov 08, 2010, 05:26 PM
Boomer1
Larry
There is one picture of the servo try that affords a view of the inside of the hull and it appears to be fiberglasss. But if it is as Larry suggests, at this price, there are certainly some other choices. I will see if any of their dealers around here have one I could see.

I do like the boats graphics -hey it could be that the old saying that "beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone" could be applicable here?
Boomer
Nov 08, 2010, 08:30 PM
Who will take the plunge?

Quick Reply