New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:02 PM
wedoitall is offline
Find More Posts by wedoitall
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
got to maiden my yak sunday. it was so windy I didn't even try to trim. I just flew it as is. had to do elevator landings just to even think about getting her down. eventho I was crazy winds(I shouldn't have flown, especially a maiden) I could tell im gonna like the yak. much different then my buck 50 edge. rolls really nice. cant wait till I get in the air again, hopefully tomorrow.
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:15 AM
nebwake is offline
Find More Posts by nebwake
Registered User
nebwake's Avatar
So I have been running this on 3s and an Omega 130/14x7apc and am dissapointed in the performance, the plane really wants a bit more speed, I want to keep it on 3s (I have more 3s than 4s packs) so what is a better motor/prop combo for this guy? Also the balsa SFG suck on this, who was it that was making lexan ones?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:20 AM
heritageflyer is offline
Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Time to Fly AJ's Best!
heritageflyer's Avatar
The Omega is 870Kv.

Motrolfly 2815-950Kv on a Xoar 13x6.5. That will speed things up.


Vintauri was making SFG's, I was just told last night, no longer.

Bivens might make you a set..

Here's the Link back to the Shortened SFG's that AJ drew up way back. What I am running in Lexan.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1431
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:27 AM
Vintauri is offline
Find More Posts by Vintauri
MN WATTS Master
Vintauri's Avatar
I have not been able to get new ones cut in a while. I do have more material but the CNC machine has been unavailable. I'm working on some laser cutters to see if it's cost effective to get some cut that way.

But for right now I have none to send out.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:11 PM
Bivens is offline
Find More Posts by Bivens
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Bivens's Avatar
No ability to cut SFG's like vin...worry.

For more speed....Warren is correct on the motrolfly 950kv...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:07 AM
nebwake is offline
Find More Posts by nebwake
Registered User
nebwake's Avatar
I have a friend that has a sweet shop and all the CNC goodies, I might ask him to make something, or il just cut it with a bandsaw...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:43 AM
nebwake is offline
Find More Posts by nebwake
Registered User
nebwake's Avatar
Would you happen to have a file I could send to my friend who has a CNC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri View Post
I have not been able to get new ones cut in a while. I do have more material but the CNC machine has been unavailable. I'm working on some laser cutters to see if it's cost effective to get some cut that way.

But for right now I have none to send out.

Steve
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:04 PM
rimaarts is offline
Find More Posts by rimaarts
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
So I have been running this on 3s and an Omega 130/14x7apc and am dissapointed in the performance, the plane really wants a bit more speed, I want to keep it on 3s (I have more 3s than 4s packs) so what is a better motor/prop combo for this guy? Also the balsa SFG suck on this, who was it that was making lexan ones?
and why dont you try 13x7-8-9? should pull the same amps as 14x7... and as this plane is only 46", even 13" should give enough disc for nice 3d...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:29 PM
wedoitall is offline
Find More Posts by wedoitall
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
Would you happen to have a file I could send to my friend who has a CNC?
this is from Andrew Jesky. i would be interested in a set also if thats possible.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1431
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:15 PM
nebwake is offline
Find More Posts by nebwake
Registered User
nebwake's Avatar
I purchased some .060 lexan sheet and I'm going to see if I can cut them with a bandsaw and sand smooth. I will see if I can get a set cnc'd but he lives in south Dakota and is busy...http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=79776
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:12 PM
heritageflyer is offline
Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Time to Fly AJ's Best!
heritageflyer's Avatar
Flew the Yak for 3 tonight. 36F and no wind. Flew from 5:50p until 6:30pm when it was getting low light enough to stop... Lost orientation on the second flight for a bit diving out of a maneuver and flailing about until I reorientated. Let it get a little too far away on that one and it recovered pointing away instead of toward me so had to make some test movements to see which way it was heading. Was a little hazy dark for that. Brought it back though. Two years ago I would have piled that in.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:22 PM
wedoitall is offline
Find More Posts by wedoitall
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Flew the Yak for 3 tonight. 36F and no wind. Flew from 5:50p until 6:30pm when it was getting low light enough to stop... Lost orientation on the second flight for a bit diving out of a maneuver and flailing about until I reorientated. Let it get a little too far away on that one and it recovered pointing away instead of toward me so had to make some test movements to see which way it was heading. Was a little hazy dark for that. Brought it back though. Two years ago I would have piled that in.
ha! i lost orientation this evening also. around 6:00 or so. gotta love those test movements. kinda get that feeling in my throat, like oh crap.

funny eventho i knew pretty much which direction the plane was heading before i lost heading and which way i was moving the Tx sticks your eyes are still confused. I too had mine alil farther away than i should have had it that time of the evening. everything on the plane just kinda looks black. almost like your trying to fly the mark of a pencil on a piece of paper hundreds of feet away.

glad you didnt loose your plane
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:19 PM
Bloosee is online now
Find More Posts by Bloosee
SoCal fair weather flyer
Bloosee's Avatar
I'm getting ready to build mine, does this plane need the long servo arms? I'm guessing it may only need it on the elevator.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:51 AM
nebwake is offline
Find More Posts by nebwake
Registered User
nebwake's Avatar
It only needs the phenolic arm for the elevator. I tried to simply shorten the control horn in the elevator and I still only got about 35* of throw so I had to use the phenolic.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:47 AM
wedoitall is offline
Find More Posts by wedoitall
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
It only needs the phenolic arm for the elevator. I tried to simply shorten the control horn in the elevator and I still only got about 35* of throw so I had to use the phenolic.
I tried the same thing ended up using the phenolic on it
RCG Plus Member


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion yak 55 M where sells this one ???? maikrotex 3D / Fun Fly Fuel Planes 1 Nov 07, 2010 10:23 AM
Found z RC4RS Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Oct 15, 2010 12:09 PM
Build Log Got parts from Hobby Lobby Yak 55, lets build a full fuse Yak 55 Lampatex Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 16 Jun 13, 2007 11:50 AM