May 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
MN WATTS Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose
Just thinkin but some real good SFG prototypes could be made out of regular playing cards in about a half hour. Maybe use the jokers out of the deck?

Ron
Not a bad idea. I actually like to draw them up in CAD and then cut sample pieces out of cheap foam board on the CNC. Been working a line on a laser cutter but it's slow since I'm trying to be cheap about it!

On another topic I took my Yak out for some flying tonight but my Castle ESC decided it wanted to go into thermal shutdown on me. I was able to land with servo control but didn't have power to get back to the field. one of the landing gear legs were stressed and it de-laminated some of the carbon. I'm going to reglue and wrap it. But I'll want to get a replacement soon if possible. Bummer as I had about 6 packs ready to fly back to back.

Steve
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2012, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri
It would not be hard to do them. In fact they would be easier as you would not have to worry about the fit of the tabs just the alignment of the mounting holes. Maybe I'll try to make a set for my 72" Extra SC and see how they go.

Steve
Awesome! Me and my flying buddy would be very interested, keep me posted!
May 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri
Not a bad idea. I actually like to draw them up in CAD and then cut sample pieces out of cheap foam board on the CNC. Been working a line on a laser cutter but it's slow since I'm trying to be cheap about it!

On another topic I took my Yak out for some flying tonight but my Castle ESC decided it wanted to go into thermal shutdown on me. I was able to land with servo control but didn't have power to get back to the field. one of the landing gear legs were stressed and it de-laminated some of the carbon. I'm going to reglue and wrap it. But I'll want to get a replacement soon if possible. Bummer as I had about 6 packs ready to fly back to back.

Steve
Condolences
May 14, 2012, 01:53 AM
Fighting Gravity
New landing gear arrived so can get airbourne again.

Great customer support from ADC Hobby Shop, without fuss getting replacement landing gear to Australia, replacing incorrect ones supplied in kit.
May 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496
New landing gear arrived so can get airbourne again.

Great customer support from ADC Hobby Shop, without fuss getting replacement landing gear to Australia, replacing incorrect ones supplied in kit.
+1 on the adc awesomeness!
May 21, 2012, 06:52 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Swapped out the motrofly Dm2815-1000 that was on my Yak when I bought it for the ol' reliable O130 spinnin a 14x7.

New experience. Gave up some speed for floatiness. Still managed to stall and dip a wing. Took 20' of height to get her going again.

I'm still learning this airframe. Thank the gods for altitude.

Ron
May 21, 2012, 10:30 PM
Time to Fly AJ's Best!
Flew the Yak over at Anthony D's field in Wheeling, WV. Saturday and soon as I took off went into fast rollers and somehow came out wrong on the exit, non-standard exit for me.

Recovered and went into a hover and got blown right into a small tree at 18 feet! Did not think I was even close to the tree line. Forgot and had my wrong sunglasses on and they are bad for depth perception.

Hung it by the Xoar 14x7 prop that got abruptly shortened equally on both ends. We got a sectional pole, military surplus and rigged with packing tape another small aluminum tube to the top of it forming a Vee.

Anthony went right up under the wing since it was hanging vertical and lifted it straight up and out of the tree. Took sections off the bottom of the pole and lowered it over to me .

No covering tears, couple small dings. Broken Xoar and fried Elevator 65MG.

Tonight I found my spare 65MG, installed it, stuck a Xoar 13x6.5 on it and flew 5 packs of high speed tumbling and PopTops!

Really enjoy it the most on the 13x6.5 with the Motrolfly 2815-950. Great for smooth lines going really fast.
May 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
flew my yak yesterday, im running 3s, did a blender and the canopy ejected, but it did more then eject, it practically shredded itself, that was a first for me, never seen a canopy break in the air, i have seen them eject, but not break......wierd
May 27, 2012, 06:45 PM
ride hard and fly low
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129
flew my yak yesterday, im running 3s, did a blender and the canopy ejected, but it did more then eject, it practically shredded itself, that was a first for me, never seen a canopy break in the air, i have seen them eject, but not break......wierd
It was cool (I seen that). It just couldn't make it through the keithy torture test.
R.I.P. yak canopy.

FLMF
May 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D.
It was cool (I seen that). It just couldn't make it through the keithy torture test.
R.I.P. yak canopy.

FLMF
Its gonna cost me 20 big ones, but at least you can buy one, I would be scared to blender it on 4s.
May 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
ride hard and fly low
Quote:
Its gonna cost me 20 big ones, but at least you can buy one, I would be scared to blender it on 4s.
I think you should add some Sharpie fiber before you put her into a blender.

FSFMF
May 27, 2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D.
I think you should add some Sharpie fiber before you put her into a blender.

FSFMF
ahhh, your onto something, reinforce the new canopy with sharpie fiber, perhaps it may work.......
May 28, 2012, 06:02 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Traded straight across my mint Yak for a mint 48" Super Viper.

Can't fly either one as intended, but I'm working hard on learnin.

Ron
May 28, 2012, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose
Traded straight across my mint Yak for a mint 48" Super Viper.

Can't fly either one as intended, but I'm working hard on learnin.

Ron
lol, would you guys consider trading this plane for an extreme flight mxs?
May 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
ride hard and fly low
Quote:
lol, would you guys consider trading this plane for an extreme flight mxs?
I would trade mine for a stick of gum.

F3DHSMF

Quick Reply