Jul 17, 2011, 11:05 AM
So ... I thou 15 July is the arrival of the X650 V8?

What happened?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2011, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcapsule
im not trying to lift anything larger than a go pro or a Tau 640 on this platform
A Tau 640 is the kind of thing I could really use for work but would never be able to afford. You are very fortunate

Jul 17, 2011, 11:56 AM
Quote:
of course im not trying to lift anything larger than a go pro or a Tau 640 on this platform
What do you use a Tau 640 for, with it having a resolution of only 320x240? And wow, it is expensive.
Jul 17, 2011, 12:01 PM
I see from a post by Abin about the X650 spares on the, "Machine shutdown, accessories will continue to provide at least six months or more." See http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/redirect.php...tpost#lastpost

Only 6 months. That is not a long time
Jul 17, 2011, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone
I see from a post by Abin about the X650 spares on the, "Machine shutdown, accessories will continue to provide at least six months or more." See http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/redirect.php...tpost#lastpost

Only 6 months. That is not a long time
no that is not cool that is crap i guess i will just go to another frame then.
Jul 17, 2011, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb
I dont think some people understand the new x650 and x8 are SMALLER than the x650 and use smaller motors and 10" props
Thanks Josh for confirming it. For some bizarre reason I had thought the model number was tied to the size. I can see they might want to do that for increased stability.
Jul 17, 2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad master
Actually, the only things that will not be replaceable will be the motors and props, and as long as Quadframes continues to make the parts (plates and legs) then we will be okay. So all we need to do is find a suitable, if not better motor. One with as much if not more lift.

Anyone with suggestions.

Edit ops forgot about the motor mounts .......

Edit: Just thinking aloud....Arms can be made from Aluminium square tubing and maybe not need the motor mounts at all. Can be made from G10 which fixes to the square tubing. Graham is this possible to make some smart looking mounts. Must check the weight of square tubing. Okay weight of 20x20 square tubing for the same length arm is 72grams vs 17.4 so with a hexa one will add a total of 327.6grams onto the weight. Not and option.

Edit: Have some 14mm carbon fibre tube and using this the section of the same length is 14.4 vs 17.4 so there is a small saving. Back to the problem...motor mounts and fuselage arm mounts. Need to stock up on these. And also need to figure out how to drill the holes accurately
Last edited by robone; Jul 17, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
Jul 17, 2011, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Actually, the only things that will not be replaceable will be the motors and props, and as long as Quadframes continues to make the parts (plates and legs) then we will be okay. So all we need to do is find a suitable, if not better motor. One with as much if not more lift.

Anyone with suggestions.

Edit ops forgot about the motor mounts .......

Edit: Just thinking aloud....Arms can be made from Aluminium square tubing and maybe not need the motor mounts at all. Can be made from G10 which fixes to the square tubing. Graham is this possible to make some smart looking mounts. Must check the weight of square tubing. Okay weight of 20x20 square tubing for the same length arm is 72grams vs 17.4 so with a hexa one will add a total of 327.6grams onto the weight. Not and option.
I know sid3ways is selling these parts and I know they are working great for him. he also build frames but i know he can get better deals on the motors than we can. and esc

AVRoto 2814 770kv motors (similar to Pulso/MK XL motors)
-HobbyKing Blueseries 30A ESCs
Jul 17, 2011, 01:50 PM
Prop APC 10x4.7 SF APC 11x4.7 SF APC 12x3.8 SF
Max Watts @ 11.1V 122 163 201
Max Thrust Oz 30.4 39.3 46.3

Prop APC 10x4.7 SF APC 11x4.7 SF APC 12x3.8 SF
Max Watts @ 14.8V 266 346 423
Max Thrust Oz 50.9 60 60.3

just on a 4 rotor quad you can have 7.5 to 15 pound motor lift but safe payload weight is half of the lift weight. an octo can have 15 to 30 pound lift depends on prop and battery size but i will ask josh to check up on my math to see if i am right because he knows better than i do.
Jul 18, 2011, 12:15 AM
Quote:
What do you use a Tau 640 for, with it having a resolution of only 320x240? And wow, it is expensive.
surveillance applications and its resolution doesnt matter when you're looking for a heat signature.. All it needs to do is look human and hot.
Jul 18, 2011, 04:01 AM
Quote:
surveillance applications and its resolution doesnt matter when you're looking for a heat signature.. All it needs to do is look human and hot.
My gf is hot. Can you see her with it
Jul 18, 2011, 06:01 AM

Just about to buy an X650

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad master
Am I reading this one right that parts for thr 650 will only be available for 6 months?? I am just about to buy one but this might be a pain!!

Thanks

Julian
Jul 18, 2011, 06:17 AM
If this is the case, I will be furious, I've only just bought an X650 and have no wish to pay out for / downgrade to the X650V. I expected I would get a few years use out of this, and now it turns out that unless I go the route of completely replacing the frame, I will not be able to repair my X650 when the inevitable happens and it takes a tumble.

I had faith that XA would fix the GPS in time and was prepaired to wait for that, but this is far worse, this represents a cutting off of any future support for what is a better platform, so we have the choice, pay for a costly downgrade, or completely replace the frame, just keeping the XA electronics.

I guess there's always option 3, buy the MK that I should have got from the start!
Jul 18, 2011, 06:30 AM
I recall they ceased making any spares for the X500 and X600 soon after they stopped offering them for sale too, It seems to be common practice in China from what I have seen

I designed some stronger legs for the X650, so you can get them easily, I also designed some hexa and Y6 centre plates too, I could do some standard centre plates if there was any sort of demand. I guess the things you wont be able to get would be the metal parts such as brackets, spacers and arms. as already mentioned you could use alloy or carbon box section for arms and GF for motor mounts if desired, they would be easy to design. I know it's not the ideal solution, but its something at least...

here is my mk clone which uses X650 centre plates and 10mm alloy arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantean
If this is the case, I will be furious, I've only just bought an X650 and have no wish to pay out for / downgrade to the X650V. I expected I would get a few years use out of this, and now it turns out that unless I go the route of completely replacing the frame, I will not be able to repair my X650 when the inevitable happens and it takes a tumble.

I had faith that XA would fix the GPS in time and was prepaired to wait for that, but this is far worse, this represents a cutting off of any future support for what is a better platform, so we have the choice, pay for a costly downgrade, or completely replace the frame, just keeping the XA electronics.

I guess there's always option 3, buy the MK that I should have got from the start!
Jul 18, 2011, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb
I recall they ceased making any spares for the X500 and X600 soon after they stopped offering them for sale too, It seems to be common practice in China from what I have seen

I designed some stronger legs for the X650, so you can get them easily, I also designed some hexa and Y6 centre plates too, I could do some standard centre plates if there was any sort of demand. I guess the things you wont be able to get would be the metal parts such as brackets, spacers and arms. as already mentioned you could use alloy or carbon box section for arms and GF for motor mounts if desired, they would be easy to design. I know it's not the ideal solution, but its something at least...

here is my mk clone which uses X650 centre plates and 10mm alloy arms
Josh, my biggest concern is if one of the motors pack up that means one will have to replace all 6 (in my case). 6 motors at say $40 is an expensive outlay for me, unless one can mix and match.

Generally the other parts can be sourced from other sources such as your design and Graham(quadframes), delrin clamping blocks from AGL Hobbies (although they do not fit the 14mm arm used...only 12mm and 16mm).

I for one will not be buying a 650V and for few reasons...IMO they will discontinue that in 6 months time and ... it does not lend itself to modifications as well as the X650...and I do not have any more cash that I am prepared to lay out.....etc etc......

Like your MK clone

Cheers
Rob

Quick Reply