Thread Tools
Oct 21, 2010, 12:08 AM
I have two speeds fast and WFO
customcarmaker's Avatar
Discussion

Classic pattern plane MK Blue Angel


Ok I am looking for someone who has had experience with this plane. It is the 40 size version and i am currently restarting the build that someone stopped maybe 10 years ago. It is about 60% finished and i am having trouble with the fuel tank. Right now the only size fuel tank that will fit is a 4 oz. tank. i will be flying this with a sanye 52. on a macs tuned pipe turning a 10x7 apc prop. I really would like to install a larger tank but it would require heavy modification. Is the 4 oz tank the correct size for this kit or did the guy build it incorrectly? Any help would be very grateful. I also do not have any way of posting pics at this time.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2010, 11:00 AM
Mach 1
pathfinder's Avatar
You need an 8 ounce tank,or a 10 ounce tank.8 ounce's will be fine.You have a nice airplane there.
Oct 23, 2010, 01:10 PM
Registered User
Tsunami33's Avatar
I don't have the 40 but a 20. Guess is you can get the specific MK tank shape and size from Singapore Hobbies. Drop me a picture and I can ask them for it (from the plan). They've still got stock of tanks, canopies, retracts, etc. Not to much to have it shipped to the US.

If anyone has a spare 20 Blue Angel fuse, I'd take it. Have a kit without the fuse parts (thanks eBay). Can be reconstructed but still just take time.

Dave.
Oct 27, 2010, 05:44 PM
Registered User
i scratch built my BA 60 with some help. i bought the plans, wing cores and a canopy.
Oct 27, 2010, 05:47 PM
Registered User
i would do a search for 8178, a member of rcu. his build thread on the BA is the preeminent thread in existence. and he has flown his, unlike me.
Oct 27, 2010, 05:57 PM
Registered User
mumblety-peg's Avatar
Why not try a Tetra Bubbless? I don't think it needs to be right up next to the engine. Maybe you could put it in the fuse.
Oct 27, 2010, 09:08 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblety-peg
Why not try a Tetra Bubbless? I don't think it needs to be right up next to the engine. Maybe you could put it in the fuse.
good idea.
Oct 27, 2010, 09:53 PM
KE your cub.
Curare's Avatar
Bubbless or not it does need to be near the engine unless you have a pumped motor.

Think about it this way:

WHen in straight and level, the fuel doesn't have much height to climb, so if anything you'll run rich rather than lean.

In a vertical, every inch between the carb and the clunk is more "height" the engine has to draw fuel from.It gets harder and harder the further away your tank is. You'll lean out more and more. Muffler pressure helps but only so much.

Try sucking through a 3 foot straw straight up, you know it's near impossible, don't you?
Oct 28, 2010, 01:31 AM
Registered User
mumblety-peg's Avatar
Curare, it seems to make sense when you say it like that. But...

But I have to say that it works just fine in my Kaos. Maybe because the full is pushed out of the bladder by pressure injected into a sealed hard case. I'm going to do some searches. I think Ive found others with much success. I've put too much time into that plane to lose it due to a fuel problem.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare
Bubbless or not it does need to be near the engine unless you have a pumped motor.

Think about it this way:

WHen in straight and level, the fuel doesn't have much height to climb, so if anything you'll run rich rather than lean.

In a vertical, every inch between the carb and the clunk is more "height" the engine has to draw fuel from.It gets harder and harder the further away your tank is. You'll lean out more and more. Muffler pressure helps but only so much.

Try sucking through a 3 foot straw straight up, you know it's near impossible, don't you?
Oct 28, 2010, 02:14 AM
Electric Hippy
I have had all three sizes. I found the oval tanks were not big enough for me and used a rectangular tanks with the former modified. But i just remembered they are MK brand too. I will have a look over the next couple of days what I have packed up in the shed.
Oct 29, 2010, 01:52 AM
KE your cub.
Curare's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumblety-peg
Curare, it seems to make sense when you say it like that. But...

But I have to say that it works just fine in my Kaos. Maybe because the full is pushed out of the bladder by pressure injected into a sealed hard case. I'm going to do some searches. I think Ive found others with much success. I've put too much time into that plane to lose it due to a fuel problem.
See how you go, to be honest, if I don't have a pump on my motors I try and wedge the tank as close to the carb as possible.

You can have them further back but the difference in tune between straight and level and vertical will become greater and greater.

You may find that you can tune it for a vertical but it may end up rich in s&l flight.

I had a problem like this on a hiperbipe. In the end I had to fit a pump to the plane to get decent runs.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of Pitstop000 Classic Pattern Flying 718 Apr 21, 2017 09:24 PM
Help! Blue Arrow Angel Discus Launched Glider ARF Roy!! Hand Launch 8 Sep 20, 2010 09:41 PM
Find plans - Old F3A - Blue Angel - MK figaro02 Fuel Plane Talk 2 May 10, 2009 02:19 PM