Oct 31, 2010, 03:51 PM
I'm FAMOUS
I went for the burly batteries only AFTER the stock ones or similar wouldn't do it.

That small voltage increase should NOT make the difference between long and short life anyway, if the motor quality is even marginal compared to industry standard.

The stock motors are terrible- and your description (some pics?) only makes me think a band-aid cooling hole or two was added.

There is NO good reason to knock down pack voltage as described. It's a fudge.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2010, 04:12 PM
RC Otaku
Killbucket, forgot to ask, what is the with h: bad, without h: great referring to? Also, your next heli should be a Nine Eagles Bravo III, looks so cool and flies great. Make sure you get extra batteries! I ordered a S026 for my girl a few days ago on your recommendation. Hope she likes it.
Oct 31, 2010, 04:20 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Poocopter: Cute, fun to play with, longevity at or beyond price's expectation.
Poohcopteread or irreparably broken while still shiny.

I really prefer three channel copters! I don't like to fly outside much, and if I have to put a lot of effort into it, not even then.
I've nothing to prove to myself by mastering RC flight, or RC mechanical systems, really. Three-channel is kinda like flying RC cars to me. It's not really about flight.

I like the way everything that is my world disappears while I have a an RC vehicle under control.
I'm much more likely to order an RC truck or car (of quality, that is) before I ever get another four or more channel copter.
I had a BeltCP before, and prefer the 3-chies now.

Now somebody tell me I just wasn't Man enough for the Esky...

WHERE can I GET an S031, and KNOW it comes with the "improved electrics" you speak of in your first posts here?
Oct 31, 2010, 04:23 PM
Resident Skeptican
You're telling me that a $75 3 channel helicopter was shipped to you from China with a $35 battery?

Can we see a picture of this battery? LifePo4 batteries don't look anything like Lipo batteries. They don't make square cell LifePo4 batteries, only round cells like a AA size battery.
Oct 31, 2010, 04:28 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Rc-fever's ad states that the 800mAh cell comes with it.
I refuse to order....and I don't think I trust your info.

Please cite your source for the better batteries being included, and not just in YOUR order?
And a picture of same would be heartening, as well.
Why does this thread now SMELL just like THIS one?
Oct 31, 2010, 04:32 PM
Resident Skeptican
Take a look at this picture.

That 9.9v pack was made using 12 LifePo4 cells. 6 on top, 6 on bottom. Set side to side. They are wired with 4 sets of three batteries in series, then those sets wired in parallel to each other.

Notice the ends of the pack are rounded? That's because of the round cells.

Edit:

Here's another 6.6v pack

Notice rounded ends still?
Oct 31, 2010, 04:46 PM
RC Otaku
Got my S031s from RC-Fever, who just started stocking them, so must have all new stock (but still say Nimh). Don't you like TopToyExpress? They claim to have the new "li-po" battery version (cheaper, but charge much more for shipping multiple helis to Japan)

The Bravo III is basically a S107 with one more channel, move left and right, same weight, stability, and ease of use. Check out the thread here at RC-Groups.

Any way to post pics without a URL? Any workaround? Ideas?

Gotta go to bed now, so . . . later.
Oct 31, 2010, 04:49 PM
Resident Skeptican
That's because they are NiMh.

That's what you've got is an 8 cell NiMh pack wired in series. 10.8/8 = 1.35. Well within the range of most NiMh battery cells on the market now.

No one in their right mind would wire up a LifePo4 pack with no balance connector like you're describing. The potential for the end consumer to overcharge a cell and a fire to start is just too high.

You can attach pictures directly to your post by clicking the "Go Advanced" button.

Edit:

Also forgot to mention, LifePo4 batteries don't "settle after a few minutes". Whatever voltage you charge them to they'll maintain that voltage for months at a time.
Oct 31, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Well, I'm not game enough to click "buy" on the slim hope of a better experience. It does sound as if the type of cell is mistaken here.

If the S031 came with Life cells, it would be cutting edge, and its intended market is anything but.
Oct 31, 2010, 04:57 PM
Resident Skeptican
NiMh can be trickle charged (1c charge rate) endlessly without fear of them getting hot or exploding. Since none of the batteries in series will overcharge, that's why you can wire them up without a balance connector. No lithium based battery can be done that way though.

In the case of the NiMh pack in question you could charge it at .8 amps and never worry about it getting hot and the cells would all balance naturally due to their chemistry.
Oct 31, 2010, 05:03 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Both of my stock nimmie packs got cooked by the chargers included, in under two hours each...sad.

The chargers have no shut off or trickle function, it seems.

The s031 is a turkey, and there are no doubt pallets of them wanting somewhere to go. So I am VERY suspicious of anybody claiming improvement, minus ad copy to reinforce such.

Otherwise, we have nothing but a continued sell-job as referenced to, the other thread that would not die.

Motorhomes4sal, where DID you go?
Last edited by killbucket; Oct 31, 2010 at 05:10 PM.
Oct 31, 2010, 05:07 PM
Resident Skeptican
That's part of the issue with NiMh packs. They should be trickle charged the very first charge at .1 amp to balance the cells and then can be charged at 10% of capacity for the charge rate (or 1c for us hobby enthusiasts).

So for an 800mah pack first charge would be overnight at .1 amps, second charge and on would be at .8 amps. The problem is that I don't know of any cheap NiMh charger that comes with these small helicopters that has a selector switch to change from trickle charge to fast charge function.

Edit:

Forgot to mention they can be charged at higher rates than 1c normally, but who's in that much of a hurry?
Oct 31, 2010, 05:39 PM
RC Otaku

Google is your friend!

Thread here at RC-Groups named "HK - Turnigy LiFePo4 cells and batteries compared to a123 cells". Check out the pics there to see flat LiFe cells, not just packs.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1206770

Here are my pics (if this works). And Barak, LiFe packs don't have the same fire hazard characteristics of Lipos.
Last edited by Robachan; Oct 31, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
Oct 31, 2010, 05:47 PM
Resident Skeptican
I've seen LifePo4 flat packs. They aren't actually flat, it's just a casing. That's once again, not a LifePo4 pack.

If it was it would have a balance connector.

As far as batteries catching fire. ANY battery can catch fire if overcharged. With any battery chemistry. Please stop spreading misinformation.
Oct 31, 2010, 05:53 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Again, until a SELLER has AD COPY that ENSURES updated guts-

I say do NOT order an S031 SYMA.

Thank you for the pics, but I do agree that we are looking at lipo's in your shots.

I wish to think there was no intent to deceive. However, if I had a shipping container full of these lemons, I'd hoodwink my own sister to get rid of them.

Quick Reply