Jan 25, 2013, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75zepol
This is what happens when you get bored of flying and say "watch this" as you go inverted 5 feet bove the runway. All went well untill I snapped back over at the end of the runway and somehow drove her in to the ground at full throttle; in to the rocks off to the side. Time for a new airframe.
i have never seen a phone plane into many pieces.. holly COW
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2013, 05:11 PM
I just flew stock motor, 4s2200 lipo, APC 9X9 Sport Prop.

Burst/initial Data: 37 amps / 570 watts. Of course numbers dropped slowly as static test ensued.

It hand launched beautifully, just like stock. Significantly more vertical and speed. This plane is so good that I would also be happy with the stock set-up (and 10.5x9 or equiv prop).

Being only 17F degrees, heat was not an issue. Time will tell if this PZ motor will last in warmer weather? Any guesses?
Jan 25, 2013, 05:31 PM
Registered Crasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkguY
i have never seen a phone plane into many pieces.. holly COW
Ha! You should see my PZ F4U-1A from the crash after the defective flap tore off... I never found the top cover from the RX...
Jan 25, 2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996
Ha! You should see my PZ F4U-1A from the crash after the defective flap tore off... I never found the top cover from the RX...
geeeez! that was wrost them! at least i can see the bull on this one
Jan 25, 2013, 07:46 PM
Diverted by planks
Stories that start with "Hey watch this" never end well.
Jan 25, 2013, 08:04 PM
I just want to go fly!
first off thanks soooooo much for all the education here. i think i may start with the stock esc but install a cc external 10 amp bec as insurance. going to run the extra 300 prop for a bit and maybe test the apc 6 pitch 4 blade just to see how slow she really flies with it.... just installed the external CC bec and tested everything. green led shows its functioning correct. makes me feel better about possible esc gremlins. thanks, walt.
Last edited by walter3rd; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Jan 26, 2013, 06:00 AM
Diverted by planks
Yup, external BEC is one of those things that many kind of get on the fence about, as to whether it is 'needed' on not in a certain plane, but one thing to consider: I've never put one in myself, or heard of anyone else, where they later said "Dang, I wish I had saved the ten minutes and 12 bucks and not done that."

But as to regretting NOT having one installed.... well, I personally have both had my own and also seen other's planes go down, only to regret not having had that extra insurance, and wondering if the craft could have at least been deadsticked in with a failed ESC versus totally losing everything and then driving into the ground with no control at all.
Jan 26, 2013, 08:21 AM
I just want to go fly!
my thoughts exactly! i have put to much time into this jug to lawn dart her.
Jan 26, 2013, 09:39 AM
I can fix it.
Callie sell the prop decal set pretty cheap and I think the tips should be yellow. But looks good. Be sure to give us a flight report. Good move useing the external BEC.
Jan 26, 2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
my thoughts exactly! i have put to much time into this jug to lawn dart her.
Walter3rd-fly it baby-and don't fear the reaper man,don't fear the reaper!
Jan 26, 2013, 10:13 AM
Thought I would share some power data.
All tests w/stock PZ 15 motor, 4s2200 Nanotech lipo:

9.4x4.5E APC prop: 23 amps/372 watts
9x9E APC prop: 45 amps/686 watts
9x7E APC prop: 37 amps/580 watts
9x9 APC sport prop: 37 amps/570 watts
9.5x7.5 E-flite prop: 43 amps/658 watts

I don't believe this motor would last using the stock prop on 4s, however the performance w/the 9x7E APC prop and 9x9 APC sport prop has been phenomenal. Hold back for scale and when you want to rip with a close fly-by, the speed is impressive.
Jan 26, 2013, 10:23 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75zepol
This is where my airpane ended up when I got bored of scale flying and said "watch this" to my biddies as I went inverted 5 feet bove the runway. All went well untill I snapped back over at the end of the runway and somehow drove her in to the ground at full throttle; in to the rocks off to the side. Time for a new airframe.
Are you by any chance a horizon service guy? Because I talked to one recently who said he did the same thing.
Anyways, Parts have slowly been coming in for refurbishing my jug, and speeding it up. So far, a power 25 1250kv, and the 3300 3s packs. I'm just waiting on a wing, and a 50 amp esc. (Don't worry, I'm using a bec) I plan to run a 10x10 for speed, and a 9x6x4 for scale looks.
Jan 26, 2013, 10:27 AM
All tests w/stock PZ 15 motor, 3s2200 E-Flite lipo:

10.5x9 (eflite extra 300 prop): 34 amps/400 watts
9.5x7.5 E-flite prop (Stock): 28 amps/325 watts
Jan 26, 2013, 10:30 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!

Completely STOCK flight of the P-47

"Watch This" ... famous last words ... LOL! Ask me how I know! (Crashed my P-51 into a tree while doing a video of close in flying after uttering those EXACT words!)

Just thought I would post an un-editted video of a flight with a completely STOCK plane. (Just added the optional retracts and flaps.) I see a lot of folks modding and hopping it up, and that's all good fun, but for a new owner I would encourage flying it stock first. You might be surprised just how NICE it flys.

I think HH/PZ pretty much got this plane PERFECT out of the box. Plenty of power/speed, great slow speed characteristics, flys inverted well, very well balanced, and very easy to take off and land. I love modding and hopping up my planes but just CAN'T bring myself to touch the Thunderbolt as it flys soooooo darn well stock I don't want to mess that up.

Anyhow, for those that are interested, I did a demo flight this past summer and just now got around to uploading it. Here it is take off to landing without edits.

Happy flying all,

Marlin

Parkzone P-47 Thunderbolt - Demo Flight (7 min 45 sec)
Jan 26, 2013, 11:37 AM
I just want to go fly!
yes the tips should be yellow but... not sure i will use this prop much. ecalc says it will be a sloooooow dog! i want a faster ship and my extra 300 prop has yellow tips already and balanced perfectly.

Quick Reply