Oct 19, 2010, 01:10 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Thread OP
Build Log

small project glider for school

Layout
Build a small glider with no controls (ailerons, rudder, any form of control after launch)
Launch system
slingshot using surgical tubing, with a frame and channel, almost like a launch post for a scale rocket
Materials
strip of balsa 3" by 1/8" by 3' strip of basswood 1/8" by 1/4" by 1'
materials may be purchased or scvenged but MAY NOT have any primary intention to be made for a glider/ airplane
Restrictions
must be 80 cm wide or less (wingspan)
60 cm long
15 cm tall
NO controls after launch
NO thrust of any kind
Main Challenge
To launch the glider on a field into the wind, have it travel at least ten feet (i know right?) and land Wheels (skids, bottom surface) down. launch pad will be 3.8' off the ground at a 45 degree angle

I will have lots of time to build this since there are less experienced people in the class. (approx 1 week)
I will work at home since i do not at all trust my partner to do much of it, unless it is basic cutting with a bandsaw or sanding, possibly glueing.

Design idea will probably need to be submitted for tomorrow, in order to get working in time

Drawings must be isometric (3d with no perspective)
Orthographic (front, back, side)

All ideas will be accepted and considered, must have a fortified slot at the back to inert the surgical tubing and meet design requirements

i am willing to purchase some supplies, but not everything

You will be kept up to date and if pictures are possible i will get them, but probably not, all progress will be shown

LEts see what we can do

Just to make it clear i have minimal experience with gliders but do know more than most people currently around me

Thanks guys!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2010, 01:39 PM
G_T
G_T
Hi boaterguy,

You might want to consider moving this to the free flight forum: https://www.rcgroups.com/free-flight-64/

Gerald
Oct 19, 2010, 02:26 PM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Hi Boaterguy.

Hereīs a simple one.

Basicly itīs a Balsa-glider build of 1 and 1,5mm Balsawood. But Iīve made several 100 out of depron.

It flyis well and glides perfect and will easely do the teen feet. Build right Iīll say more than 100ī.

As material you can use balsawood in apropriate thickness, Depron 6mm, maybe double or coroplast (that tubular plasticplates)

Scale up the drawing and start building

Hereīs another link to a drawing: http://jetex.org/models/plans/plans-...-raf-5409.html

RubSon
Last edited by RubSon; Oct 19, 2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Link added
Oct 19, 2010, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
rubson, that looks awesome, but I think I was looking for something with a longer wing, that will have a littlemore balance, and take more weight, so as not to tumble in the wind, because some of the marks will come from a proper landing
but thank you, I will consider it
Oct 26, 2010, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
got a design, mostly thought of myself, the fuse will be shaped like rubson's
first wng section has been built and will probably be wrapped tomorrow, then it's to the next wing, after that t will be pretty smooth sailing

Quick Reply