Oct 17, 2010, 03:46 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
Discussion

Whale Watching BWEZ*- Long Range FPV

We recently moved from Norway to Sand Diego, CA.

San Diego happens to be on the California Gray Whale's migration route.

The mission: Capture an image of a California Gray Whale like this one:

Last Friday, I was flying in a full scale helicopter, about 8 miles off shore and observed these majestic animals and decided that this would be my BWEZ*'s next "mission". I find that it is easier to focus on a task in order to develop equipment and procedures accordingly. This was the case with the mission to the Lighthouse, which drove my BWEZ*'s initial development.

To the Lighthouse (7 min 51 sec)

The purpose of this thread will be to document my progress towards this new goal.

I have a BWEZ*. For reference, here is its "baseline" configuration:
BWEZ* (LR) (1 min 5 sec)

The baseline "mission parameters":
- Fly to a point, as far as 10 miles off shore.
- Conduct a visual search for at least 30 minues.
- If marine life is sighted, capture HD quality video or stills.
- Return to launch point.
- Post imagery to the www.

The forum is already full of "fastest", furthest, closest videos". I'd like to demonstrate a task that requires a multi-faceted, well-rounded and robust solution.

Everyone's input is welcome.
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Oct 17, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2010, 03:51 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
amazing whale picture scrtsqrl.
gl with your mission!
Oct 17, 2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands
amazing whale picture scrtsqrl.
gl with your mission!
LOL...not my picture YET...This one belongs to Sue Moore.

Thanks!
Oct 17, 2010, 03:58 PM
Nice pictures of the whales

I love the idea about having a goal about flying..
and not only Highest/fastest/longest, that is ALL about the parts you buy.
But this will be more like how creative you are :-)

I also wonder if anyone have used the FPV plane for something useful.
Like:
- Pictures of house\new build areas
- Mission like this one, capture birds in the air, whales..
- Find stolen cars\bikes , lost ppl ?

I will continue to follow this thread and waiting for some nice pictures

(Moro at det er en Nordmann også da hehe, misunner deg litt som kan fly på denne årstiden, jeg sliter med regn, frost og sny nå)
Oct 17, 2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteglow

(Moro at det er en Nordmann også da hehe, misunner deg litt som kan fly på denne årstiden, jeg sliter med regn, frost og sny nå)
1000 Takk! I wound up flying from inside my car a few times, then decided it wasn't worth my while:

Heated FPV Cockpit (3 min 47 sec)

I found it was better just for things to freeze...lols.

2010 Jan 29 Icy Sunset (4 min 26 sec)
Oct 17, 2010, 04:06 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Looking forward to seeing you complete this mission successfully.
Oct 17, 2010, 04:27 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Good luck on this one sqrl. I really look forward to watching this mission develop into success deployment.
Oct 17, 2010, 05:21 PM
in my opinion, this sounds like a good mission, but something that would be more suited for a skywalker. This is the kind of stuff that they skywalker excels at. It would be able to carry a decent load of batteries along with a HD recording device. I just think that this is really pushing it for the EZ star. If you figure that the average cruise speed would probably be about 30mph, the trip would take 40 minutes just to get there. Then you add an extra 30 minutes of search time onto this and you have 1hr and 10 minutes of flight time. Just for safety, I would include enough battery for at least 1hr and 20 minutes of flight time, and for my EZ star, a 2200mha 3S will get me about 20 minutes max. This means that you will need at least the equivalent of a 8800mha 3S battery on board. When you add a HD camcorder into that mix, you have an EZ star which is way to heavy.

just my two cents
Oct 17, 2010, 05:51 PM
Resistance is Futile
Subscribed!
Oct 17, 2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7119
in my opinion, this sounds like a good mission, but something that would be more suited for a skywalker. This is the kind of stuff that they skywalker excels at. It would be able to carry a decent load of batteries along with a HD recording device. I just think that this is really pushing it for the EZ star. If you figure that the average cruise speed would probably be about 30mph, the trip would take 40 minutes just to get there. Then you add an extra 30 minutes of search time onto this and you have 1hr and 10 minutes of flight time. Just for safety, I would include enough battery for at least 1hr and 20 minutes of flight time, and for my EZ star, a 2200mha 3S will get me about 20 minutes max. This means that you will need at least the equivalent of a 8800mha 3S battery on board. When you add a HD camcorder into that mix, you have an EZ star which is way to heavy.

just my two cents
Indeed a change of airframe might be in order. But for now, I think it can be done.

I get about 30 minutes on 3s 2200 mAH pack. I will hang two 3000 mAH Packs externally for a total of 8200 mAH total. As well I am using a Sony Webbie, which sits flush on the right wing root. All told, I estimate the airplane will weigh 43 ozs total. Remember that it is a BWEZ*. It should be able to negotiate that extra weight without any issues.

The key will be to test for the appropriate flight regimes. There will be an optimum profile for take-off, climb out, outbound transit, loiter, photography, and return. Each stage of the flight has to be finessed. The required power settings, angle of attack, ambient wind limits for each stage must be determined beforehand in testing.

I want to demonstrate that proper procedures are at least as if not more important than the equipment one has. As liteglow as pointed out, this project isn't all about the parts that I buy.

Oct 17, 2010, 07:06 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
I was supposed to do the same here with my Radian but quickly realized that once you're away from the shore, weather is so much different and so are winds... so for me it will be: launching the plane from a Zodiac boat and then go high above to film in HD.

Good luck !!! I'll be following your journey!
Oct 17, 2010, 09:01 PM
scrtsqrl,

Let me throw another parameter or two into the mix!

We have been approached for the past two years to do the very thing you describe and we are making progress, but it is not our highest priority business wise. The kicker to our task is that it must be flown in the Roaring 40's and the image must be of sufficient resolution to be able to identify the markings on the whales head. We believe that since the Spectra ( www.rpflightsystems.com ) has flown in winds up to 50mph we can handle the Roaring 40 part, but the resolution we require is so far only available in the DSLR range of cameras. (Sony NEX5 notwithstanding!) We can haul the weight with a scaled up Spectra and with a good autopilot should be able to handle FPV flying over the water just fine. We figure that we'll have to have dual control systems, because it will be very tough to fly the aircraft and shoot whales at the same time - or line them up to be shot anyway especially just as they are rolling to the surface. This is for REAL science though and they are putting some high expectations on this endeavor. Apparently photographing the whales from a Porter Pilatus is hazardous as they have had 5 whale biologist killed in low level turn/stall/crashes in the past few years.
Oct 17, 2010, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl k
Looking forward to seeing you complete this mission successfully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Good luck on this one sqrl. I really look forward to watching this mission develop into success deployment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse
I was supposed to do the same here with my Radian but quickly realized that once you're away from the shore, weather is so much different and so are winds... so for me it will be: launching the plane from a Zodiac boat and then go high above to film in HD.

Good luck !!! I'll be following your journey!
Indeed this is why the plane has to be speedy, stable and have long legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer
scrtsqrl,

Let me throw another parameter or two into the mix!

We have been approached for the past two years to do the very thing you describe and we are making progress, but it is not our highest priority business wise. The kicker to our task is that it must be flown in the Roaring 40's and the image must be of sufficient resolution to be able to identify the markings on the whales head. We believe that since the Spectra ( www.rpflightsystems.com ) has flown in winds up to 50mph we can handle the Roaring 40 part, but the resolution we require is so far only available in the DSLR range of cameras. (Sony NEX5 notwithstanding!) We can haul the weight with a scaled up Spectra and with a good autopilot should be able to handle FPV flying over the water just fine. We figure that we'll have to have dual control systems, because it will be very tough to fly the aircraft and shoot whales at the same time - or line them up to be shot anyway especially just as they are rolling to the surface. This is for REAL science though and they are putting some high expectations on this endeavor. Apparently photographing the whales from a Porter Pilatus is hazardous as they have had 5 whale biologist killed in low level turn/stall/crashes in the past few years.
Thanks for that.

Fortunately, my spec is way softer than that. No need to id the whales...just find them.

Oct 17, 2010, 11:41 PM
subscribe
Oct 18, 2010, 03:28 AM
HaoleboyRC

Shooting video of whales

Found a video where they used a quad to capture the pictures of the dolphins being slaughtered in Japan. Very disturbing video but it was shot from a carbon fiber quad flown in to shore from 3 miles out, to show what Japan does to dolphins. Can't find it right now but it was in the Tri-copter thread.

HaoleboyRC

Quick Reply