Feb 15, 2011, 01:24 PM
Lee Liddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Par_18 View Post
This is awesome. I wish I had found this thread before I wasted money trying to build my falcon with an os 91 df, which quit on me this past weekend leading to a crash. Now, i'm wanting to turn it into a pusher prop but I have no clue where to even start. Can someone tell me what size prop this motor will turn on 10 or 12s? Is there a better motor for a prop setup? I would like to go DF but I don't want to buy parts from a million different places and try to put it all together. I appreciate the help.
To run 10 or 12s you would need a lower kv. On 12s this motor will hit about 34k rpm, thats more than you'll want to spin a big prop. Even on 8s the noise police will be on your case spinning a prop.

Look at it this way. You need a motor and an esc either way. The fan and rotor will only cost you about $70, and you'll have a cool edf that will sound great and will be faster than a prop job. Also the testing has been done. No prop guess work to do.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2011, 01:27 PM
Been there , Crashed that
hi all , too many numbers on here and my brain is fryed . can somone tell me the fsa of the 4" haoye please? thanks
Feb 16, 2011, 01:53 PM
FSA on the 4" Haoye is 9.42sq in.
Feb 17, 2011, 10:41 PM

fsa

can somebody comfirm my math is correct please. 60.7740 mm2 fan fsa x 2 58mm tailcones with combined area of 52.8414 mm2 gives me a fsa of approx 87 percent . is this a good fsa for this 4" fan. thanks in advance
Feb 18, 2011, 09:34 AM
Numbers look ok to me. You could possibly go a little smaller on the exit diameter, but it depends on the design of the bifurcated tube and what your goals are, max thrust or max speed.
Feb 18, 2011, 11:49 AM
my tailcones right now are 56mm each which gives me 81% fsa , 57 mm gives me 83% , and 58mm gives me 87% . 81% should be ok for maiden or is that choked to much . not looking for max speed just scale looking speed for 1/10 f 18 . thanks
Feb 19, 2011, 01:16 AM
Feb 19, 2011, 01:20 AM
OK so I think i'm going to go with the EDF setup instead of the prop. I would like to order everything I need at once so please let me know if I have everything covered here:

4030-880 motor
120a esc
Shaft adapter offered by corsair nut
haoye 4.5" shroud
Turbax fan
2X6s 5800mah 25c Turnigy packs

This is going into a falcon 120. Am I missing anything here gents?
Feb 19, 2011, 02:23 AM
Banzai Institute
Hey Tag is that a Ziroli Panther? Looks good. Can you comment on the build? I dig balsa.
Feb 19, 2011, 03:40 AM
Quote:
OK so I think i'm going to go with the EDF setup instead of the prop. I would like to order everything I need at once so please let me know if I have everything covered here:

4030-880 motor
120a esc
haoye 4.5" shroud
Turbax fan

That sounds right. Both the fan and the esc are backordered at HK. But I found the hobbywing 120a esc at Hobby Hot and the fan at Low Price RC where they name the fan Astral 4.5". The also have the 120 a esc at Low Price RC but for 133$ istead of 120$ at hobby hot.

I can't find at suitable 6 mm collet for the motor and the turbax fan. Does anybody have a suggestion? Thanks
Feb 19, 2011, 05:37 AM
You can use the adapter that comes with the fan as it's bored for a 6mm motor shaft, however the OD is too small you will have to use the KnifeLiddle trick of adding a couple of layers of heatshrink to it, or just roll tape on it to bring the OD up to the bore of the Turbax rotor.

But, I think the best way to go is using this setup : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=641

Contact details here : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=665
Feb 19, 2011, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
You can use the adapter that comes with the fan as it's bored for a 6mm motor shaft, however the OD is too small you will have to use the KnifeLiddle trick of adding a couple of layers of heatshrink to it, or just roll tape on it to bring the OD up to the bore of the Turbax rotor.

But, I think the best way to go is using this setup : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=641

Contact details here : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=665
Thanks Anrgeir

But it's 80$ for the components as i recall it plus shipping to Europe. Then the final fan would cost

Fan 25$
Standoff adapter 80$
Turbax rotor 40 $
Total 145$ minus shipping
Thats not cheap compared to a brand new
Turbax fan at 175 $

Still I am sure it would be the best solution with the standoff adapter but not cheap.
Feb 19, 2011, 07:10 AM
Lee Liddle
Quote:

4030-880 motor
120a esc
haoye 4.5" shroud
Turbax fan

Hey there Par. You`ve got mail.
Feb 19, 2011, 08:36 AM
Lee Liddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjet View Post
That sounds right. Both the fan and the esc are backordered at HK. But I found the hobbywing 120a esc at Hobby Hot and the fan at Low Price RC where they name the fan Astral 4.5". The also have the 120 a esc at Low Price RC but for 133$ istead of 120$ at hobby hot.

I can't find at suitable 6 mm collet for the motor and the turbax fan. Does anybody have a suggestion? Thanks

You might also check with the guy selling the stand-offs. He might sell just the adapter for the rotor by its self.
Feb 19, 2011, 08:37 AM
That's true about the cost, but this motor will not fit a stock Turbax fan AFAIK, that fan is setup for Neu 15xx series motors so it's not really a straight comparison as you would need a standoff adapter or something to fit the motor onto that fan as well.