Nov 07, 2010, 12:45 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
thanks coyote64. Where do you buy your stuff ?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2010, 02:39 AM
Praying for better weather
I get all mine fom UK based Firstpersonview.co.uk but the Dagonlink i got direct from Jettpilot on here
Nov 07, 2010, 09:48 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Thanks.
Nov 07, 2010, 11:27 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
fpvme: I now use the DX201, getting the PX540 (globe-flight.de). Ive used quite a few cameras, I can recommend the CX161 for uber-cheapness, the KX131 for value-for-money and the DX201/PX540 for their incredible ground-correction. The pixim cams are crap for evening/night though.
Nov 07, 2010, 12:30 PM
Suspended Account
now you believe me the 12 volt cameras are better
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
fpvme: I now use the DX201, getting the PX540 (globe-flight.de). Ive used quite a few cameras, I can recommend the CX161 for uber-cheapness, the KX131 for value-for-money and the DX201/PX540 for their incredible ground-correction. The pixim cams are crap for evening/night though.
Nov 07, 2010, 12:34 PM
Cape Cod
Trappy,

What is "Ground Correction"? I really enjoy your incredible productions and thank you for being a mentor for many of us.

Tom
Nov 07, 2010, 12:51 PM
No longer an FPV virgin
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
2.4GHz is just dangerous for FPV, simple things like your body can block the signal and then you're in a world of hurt. For visual R/C this is never a problem as you always keep LOS automatically, in FPV thinking about LOS is a burden that you don't want. I lose LOS at least once per flight even with the most careful of pre-planning - for me it has never been more than a "full throttle and elevator" moment.
About LOS, I still don't quite get it.
When I look at your video "Fly low, life is short" it seems to my that between 4:00 and 4:10 into the video you are to low to be able to see the vally.
In "Long range is boring" between 1:25 and 1:40 you fly extreamly low in between some buildings, and between 2:30 and 2:40 you seem loose site of the vally again.
In "Living FPV 2" Between 2:40 and 3:20 you first fly in between whay seems to be A LOT of trees, and then you fly through a tunnel
Do you really have LOS in the situations that I've mentioned?

TK.
Nov 07, 2010, 04:22 PM
Trappy I went out earlier today for a test flight and found I had horizontal lines on my video. Im running 1.2ghz 500mw hobbywireless vtx/rx from a 3dbi omni antenna. The video tx is powered from a sepperate 3s lipo with an LC-filter from DPCAV. I used to have a few lines on my video awhile ago but after putting the LC-filter in place they were fixed but now they have returned. The only thing I changed was the channel on the vtx and rx from channel 8 to channel 1 and my reason for changing this was when I was doing range tests with my new Thomas near range system I found I got better ground range with channel 1. I later found that by moving the vtx further away from other electronics it improved range also but I never changed channels back. Any ideas for what could be causing the lines ? and would changing to another channel improve any thing. Flying site was in the middle of countryside.
Regards Liam.
Nov 07, 2010, 05:36 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
thygekm: I have LOS or almost LOS in all of these situations. Also, I am using VERY high gain antennas in all of these flights (19dbi and up) to still get a "flyable" signal. In all those cases a 3dbi whip on the ground (as you have with a R/C controller) would not pick up anything, especially since the noise floor on 2.4GHz is high. Also remember we fly on 2.5GHz so there is hardly any noise.

tom3holer: if you're referring to cameras, it means that the ground is visible even when there is a bright sky in the background.

David22: I never said 12V cameras are worse, but they do require switching and noise-isolation, and a pretty complex circuit. therefore if a 5V camera with the same performance came along, I'd be all over it.

L14m: got a video? when flying with UHF, try going away from the video receiver quite a bit (~10m) and see if that improves things.
Nov 07, 2010, 05:51 PM
I'll upload it tomorrow and I will also try to get more distance my vrx.
Cheers Trappy.
Regards Liam
Nov 07, 2010, 05:53 PM
Suspended Account
It was just my connection in Vancouver once told me 12 volt cameras give better video and when I told you that a while ago you told me he has no idea, and now I think you use 12 volt cameras because they are better

that is all

I have no idea, only mentioned this long ago to you and you told me my connection was full of cra p

the 201 is a great camera but gave me range testing problems so it in on the shelf

got the dpc-540a the other day and hope to try it out soon

but before that test I have to confirm with ground tests the RV voltage regulator , linear one, will not auto shut down or cut off when 11 volts are put into it but has been jumped for 12 volts, I really wonder if the regulator can work for a long period of time at a lower voltage than the out put. of course I expect it to only put out under the volts that are put into it, Sander might be correct that it will shut down?

the other test is the lawmate video rx 1.2 one, and have had problems with it shutting down or not working at low voltages

my problem is I don't have the urge as I used to to do tests and fly as often as before

i will try to post videos of my experiences with high performance gliders that do not break when the cra p is beat out of them
Nov 08, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Trappy heres the video I took yesterday with the said lines in, the flying starts after 1 min 10 secs. If you look at the photo below as well you will see how I had my ground station set up in the back of my pick up and you will also see that my vtx is on the tripod right next to me. I realise now that this was far to close and so may not have helped.

FPV Trex 450 se v2 (5 min 24 sec)

Regards Liam
Nov 08, 2010, 05:25 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
looks like interference of some sort, it comes when your signal goes low. what frequency are you transmitting at and how well did you do your range-tests?
Nov 08, 2010, 05:45 PM
Video is 1.2ghz 500mw and my ground range tests were only done to find out what Rc range I would get with the Thomas nr system. I used to fly with an 8 dbi patch antenna but because I was only flying at close range I used the 3 dbi omni. I have had the lines before but after fitting the lc-filter it cleared up. Could it be the vrx on the tripod being to close? And what ways are best to range test vtx?
Since I changed over to the tnrs system I've moved my vtx onto the rear fin for max distance from other electrics on the heli. Should the Lc-filter be closer to the vtx or the battery ?
Cheers for your help regards Liam
Nov 08, 2010, 05:50 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
LC filter goes right after the battery. I think you're decreasing your range somehow, the lines are not there when the signal is strong. not very experienced with 1.2GHz stuff, anyone care to chip in?

Quick Reply