This thread is privately moderated by warhead_71, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 14, 2010, 11:21 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Discussion

The Goshawk crash...

(1 min 53 sec)

Just wanted to add a link to the video of my Goshawk crash... need to get this thing flying again before the snow starts.

I still have not determined the exact cause of the crash. I temporarily lost all control of the plane - about 3-4 seconds.

I was flying the plane with an AR6100, which are now known to have brown-out issues -- it could have gone into a reboot. I was also using a HobbyKing 40A SuperSimple ESC, which they had a bunch of bad ones that could barely pull 18amps... so I may have over-amped it and it went into overload protection, or it simply caused the brown out which triggered the RX to fail.

Lastly, the 12x6 prop was way more torque and thrust than what I needed... she really wanted to roll left, so I compensated with right aileron trim and perhaps too much right-thrust on the motor angle... which made her a want to tip-stall at lower speeds. I'll be switching to an 11x7 for a bit more speed and hopefully less torque-roll.

I have since replaced the ESC with a known good ESC, plus I installed a 3A SBEC for the 4 9gram servos... just in case.

I have the plane mostly back together -- minus cosmetics -- and I'm getting ready to take her up again soon.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2010, 02:20 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Ouch I have had a couple of those mysterious crashes and they always upset me. I end up replacing almost everything to make sure it doesent happen again. Hope the second flight goes better.
Jan 07, 2011, 06:30 AM
Sad that it happened

In you video with Goshawk in time 20-25 sec hear the sound - this is sound models or strange sound?

If you do not mind, I will try to build a model for your drawings. Will some differences.

What do you think, scale 1/6.5 (1.5m) will be normal?
Jan 07, 2011, 10:23 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Terranozavr,

I'm not sure what sound you are hearing... it's a windy day so there is some wind noise... and the prop of the plane makes a nice whirring sound, but that is normal. I don't think there was anything mechanically wrong with it before it crashed... I think it had to do with either the ESC BEC being over-amped and/or the RX having a brown-out. After I took the crashed plane home, I plugged the battery back in and everything still worked... so I think the ESC or RX simply reset while I was in the air.

The Goshawk is repairable... I just haven't gotten to it yet. House, kids, etc...

You are more than welcome to take the plans and build the plane... be sure to send me a link of the build thread so I can follow along. Also, check my blog... I have plans for a larger Curtiss P-6e Hawk that is essentially the same plane but with a longer water-cooled engine instead of the short radial engine. The Hawk has more room for batteries and balances easier since the nose is a bit longer.
Jan 07, 2011, 11:34 AM
if you flew on an FM radio, the receiver after the loss of signal (power) might not have time to initialize. I was for this reason that broke the Yak 55 from Hyperion. Cause found after upgrading to 2.4 - lost power, but the receiver time to tune in very quickly. The reason - the lack of contact on the connector ESC. Under insulation was not visible.
It is my sad experience
Jan 07, 2011, 12:30 PM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
No, I was flying with a Spektrum DX7, and AR6100 RX. 2.4gHz and DSM2. It's been bullet-proof for me -- never had a dropped signal ever before or since. And the plane is foam, and at the angle it was banking there would have been nothing to interfere or block the signal...
Jun 15, 2011, 06:37 AM
Hello.

I went back to building aircraft:

Jun 15, 2011, 09:25 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
That looks awesome! Keep up the good work!

Quick Reply