Jul 15, 2011, 08:26 AM
Hey... watch this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by four stroke pwr
That is an untrue statement as this video will will prove:

You can't float the Yak-54 like this:

http://vimeo.com/6493457
Hmmmm...

Bold statement. I guess I pissed you off.

Lets let others judge if you are right. (not me flying just some random youtube videos)

E-Flite Carbon Z Yak-54 flown by Vic3D (4 min 54 sec)

E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak-54 (4 min 43 sec)

Looks like it 3D's just fine.

And I do not know what balance issue people are having but with the battery all the way back against the foam (did not carve anything out) I am neutrally balanced and it flies great, no down elevator when inverted and locks into a hover fine. I am using the stock 2800 and some blue lipo 2650's.

Mike
Last edited by Mmarshall; Jul 15, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonso
It doesnt fly like the other planes because you cant achieve the proper balance with a motor made of lead on the tip of the plane.
Dude! I think we got it by now... You think this plane has a rotating brick on the font for a motor. Yea... we got it.

That's lovely by the way (that u think its a heavy motor)
Jul 15, 2011, 05:21 PM
Hook 'Em Horns!
I'm selling my new Carbon Z Yak 54 here:
http://www.flyinggiants.com/swapshop...ct=26012&cat=2

$350 with extra 3200mah battery.

I will ship but buyer pays costs. I also take credit cards.
Jul 15, 2011, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator
Dude! I think we got it by now... You think this plane has a rotating brick on the font for a motor. Yea... we got it.

That's lovely by the way (that u think its a heavy motor)
WELLLLLLL...people keep stating the same problem...I keep giving the same solution. It really fixed the yak for my taste in the way it flys.
Jul 15, 2011, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator
It is starting to sound a bit wife-naggy isn't it, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonso
WELLLLLLL...people keep stating the same problem...I keep giving the same solution. It really fixed the yak for my taste in the way it flys.
I'll definitely look at a ligher motor when it comes time to replace the Stock motor. No doubt that there are better/lighter motors than the E-Flite 25BL. I'd probably look at a Scorpion SII-3020-890KV (V2) but I'm sure that there are other good alternatives out there as well. Sorry but no way would I put a cheap HK one in. Too hit and miss imo.

One thing I'm a little disapointed with is some of the poor glue joints in a few critical areas. I found that both rear servo mounts were loose and needed to be re-glued (used CA). I don't think that the white rubbery glue was a very good choice for E-flite to use in these critical areas.

I also had a problem tightening the prop/spinner when I replaced the stock prop with an APC 12x6e (now using an APC 13/4e) and added a front prop washer. Even when I roughened up the back of the APC prop I could not tighten the prop enough without the rear spinnner backplate rotating. I finally cut-out a washer from a piece of sandpaper and placed it between the backplate and prop (rough-side outward) and it tightened up fine. Most of my other spinners have a couple of posts that rest against the prop root and stops the backplate from slipping when tightening up the prop.

Overall, I still love this plane but it really does need a lot of ongoing checks.

Cheers,
TomC
Jul 15, 2011, 07:22 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmarshall
Hmmmm...

Bold statement. I guess I pissed you off.

Lets let others judge if you are right. (not me flying just some random youtube videos)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecuU4qBG2GU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl_roekVzJg

Looks like it 3D's just fine.

And I do not know what balance issue people are having but with the battery all the way back against the foam (did not carve anything out) I am neutrally balanced and it flies great, no down elevator when inverted and locks into a hover fine. I am using the stock 2800 and some blue lipo 2650's.

Mike
Yes the yak 3Ds fine. I have had no problems 3ding the yak. With that said. IT DOES NOT HOLD A CANDLE TO THE 51 SLICK. I have flown both and there is a night and day difference between the two.

Please don't take this as a jab at the yak as it is not. I like the yak and think it flys good. Its an amazing plane for the money and will take a crash better than any blasa. I think HH did a good job designing this plane and keeping a full fuse 3d plane at that price.
Its just that it falls short when compaired to the top of the line plane in its weight class

By the way Mike very nice flying
Jul 15, 2011, 07:40 PM

1x New/NIB EFLR7140 OEM servo

May be a good opportunity to pick up a spare...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post18772981

thx fellas

Jeff
Jul 15, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hey... watch this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic

By the way Mike very nice flying

Hehe, Wow... subtle but you could just call my mom names and go right for the throat

Sorry I dont have a any video of me... have to get someone to shoot it for me (so I can show my mad skilz to the world ).

I will agree that the Slick is head and shoulders above the Yak, I have a Extreme Flight 48'' Edge EXP and a EF 48'' Extra 300 EXP and both outshine the Yak.

But in saying that I still enjoy the Yak, to be honest the Extreme Flight planes 3D so easy that it was like cheating the first time I flew my Edge.

The Yak requires more of my attention when flying but still does 3d very well and might actually hone the skills a bit more.

The Yak is the first foamy 3d plane I have flown that does not fly like a foamy.

Mike
Last edited by Mmarshall; Jul 15, 2011 at 07:55 PM.
Jul 15, 2011, 11:57 PM
Team Hillbilly
Upon getting my yak out after a couple months of sitting I found that as my skills have got better flying my 3dhs extra 300 SHP I enjoy the yak even more than I did before. It is not as floaty as the SHP but sure carries alot of momentum when doing snaps and tumbles. I can actually do rolling harriers a bit easier with it than with the SHP. That could just be the setup. It surely flys well at high speed with reduced rates. I have a turnigy setup in it since I ruined the stock one when the elevator servo died but was thinking of getting a quality setup for it if I keep it. The bearings getting loud after only a couple dozen flights on the turnigy.
Jul 18, 2011, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
Alan,

I've only had my PNP for a few weeks now and the only things I'd suggest;
- Check/tighten all motor mounting screws
- Replace the stock prop with a apc 12x6e (or 13x4e for a little slower flying speed) and make sure you properly balance these
- Use the fully threaded bolts for the wings and the shouldered ones on the elevator
- if your strip is a little lumpy/bumpy ditch the wheel pants and use larger 3 inch light weight wheels. You will need a couple of extra wheel collars to hold the whells on. I drilled out a couple of 3mm ones I had with a 9/64 inch drill bit.

These are the main things I've found out. So far I really love this plane and I'm sure you will too.

Cheers,
Tom C
Tom C,

Thanks for the info!! I received my plane and will start the assembly soon, including the mods you suggested. What's the purpose for changing the prop? Effiency, torque, balance issues with stock, too flimsy, current draw, etc? Just want to understand the pros and cons. I like wood props (like XOAR) and may go that route.

Thanks,

Alan
Jul 18, 2011, 03:24 PM
Team Hillbilly
The Hubs on the stock props are crazy out of balance. I bet they will address this but would just avoid them. There is/was actually a bulletin on the Eflite site recommending the apc props. Xoar would also be a great choice. Just be careful if you go with a 13" cause the landing gear is soft and you could get a light prop strike on a slightly hard landing. The Apc can take a couple light strikes but as you know the xoar will be toast. I just discovered the xoar props and have tried them on the 3dhs Extra SHP. I was very impressed with the slightly lower draw and very quick spool up.
Jul 18, 2011, 04:20 PM
Sky Pilot
That's not me flying the 51" 3DHS Slick.. It's Greg B. I'm not that good, and I fly my Slick quite high as I'm still learning !
Jul 18, 2011, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06
The Hubs on the stock props are crazy out of balance. I bet they will address this but would just avoid them. There is/was actually a bulletin on the Eflite site recommending the apc props. Xoar would also be a great choice. Just be careful if you go with a 13" cause the landing gear is soft and you could get a light prop strike on a slightly hard landing. The Apc can take a couple light strikes but as you know the xoar will be toast. I just discovered the xoar props and have tried them on the 3dhs Extra SHP. I was very impressed with the slightly lower draw and very quick spool up.
Yea, Xoar are awesome, not as tough as the APC props, but they are a lot lighter, so faster spool, less amp draw, and in many cases more thrust. Horizon tends to "under-prop" their planes, probably to make sure that there is no way that peak full throttle amp draw will get above the constant ESC rating, and will reduce claims anywhere the planes are sold, from death valley to pikes peak. The stock ESC is rated for 60A constant/75A for 15 seconds, and it has very good airflow. Testing mine, the stock prop(or at least the only good one out of 6 I bought) produced 59A/880W/5#13oz of thrust. The 12X6APC e-prop made 74A/1025W/6# thrust, slight improvement in static thrust for a lot more amp draw, but considering it has a pitch speed of 85mph compared to the stock one at 73mph, it should give better top speed, the added thrust was a bit unexpected. The 13X4APC E-prop is my favorite, 68A/975W/7#8oz of thrust, a whopping 2:1 thrust ratio, and it shows, it is awesome for 3D, hovers around 1/2 throttle, and can launch the plane skyward like a rocket, or lower the throttle, and slow downlines fairly well, top speed is still decent, between 55-60mph, but not the 80mph that the plane can do with the 12X6APC. I would be interested in how the Xoar props stack up, I do have a local source, and have used them for other planes, just not the Yak.
Jul 18, 2011, 06:08 PM
Team Hillbilly
I have a 13x5 xoar sitting here but I don't have the stock power system. I have a 900kv in it now. I've tried the 12x6 and the 13x6.5 with my setup but haven't drilled out the xoar to try yet.
Jul 21, 2011, 04:22 PM
Gravity gets me down.
This is kind of interesting. Looking at some replacement parts for my beat up CZ it would seem that either the factory did not produce as many right wing panels (EFL1008001), or this is the wing most people replace.

Out of stock most everywhere.

Odd. You would think left and right panels would be subject to an even distribution and demand.

Maybe most fly clockwise and crash right wing down most the time....one of the great mysteries of our time :-)

Quick Reply