Freewing 90mm F/A-18E Super Hornet build log, tips, tweaks, troubleshooting - Page 73 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Feb 03, 2012, 10:42 AM
Registered User
JGuilty13's Avatar
jdub...very good observation. Looks like value city has the V2. I might have to pick up another SU34 for that price.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2012, 06:20 AM
half-ass Astronaut
jdubg23's Avatar
anyone purchased a kit from valuehobby yet? i hope they get the "airframe" verion
Feb 06, 2012, 08:02 AM
Registered User
genghiskt's Avatar
U guys interested in the airframe only ?
I check for u. But I don't know the freight cost yet.
I can get most the Freewing products. Just drop me a PM.
Feb 06, 2012, 10:54 AM
Registered User
JGuilty13's Avatar
Pm dropped!
Feb 06, 2012, 11:34 AM
Capt, USAF
Roswalt's Avatar
Big thanks for exposing the Valuehobby secret on the great F/A-18 deal! I ordered one this morning and it will be my second order with them - I was impressed the first time but it was just a spare part, so we'll see what happens on my first full aircraft order!

I owned the first version of this plane when HL first began selling them- I experienced the nose gear door issue and so it got a little scraped up during the first landing, and I never felt comfortable flying it. It was very erratic in the air - In retrospect I think I had the CG wrong, or perhaps a misalignment of the TV and the horizontal stabs. Now that I've got more EDF experience and have the similar Freewing Su-35 all dialed in, I think I'm ready to do this one right. I like the gear door servo addition on the V2!

So I have the receiver ready version coming in soon - I'm planning on running a 6S 4000mah 30C pack, an 8-channel FrSky Receiver, CC10A BEC (Also have a 20-Pro if you guys think its needed) and will run stock power system and servos. I'm planning to Y-cable the rudder and yaw TV so that it is on all the time, but will make the other vectors switch on/off.

Any/all quick setup suggestions that might save me the trouble of reading through all 73 pages here would be great, and very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Feb 07, 2012, 05:01 AM
half-ass Astronaut
jdubg23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt
Big thanks for exposing the Valuehobby secret on the great F/A-18 deal! I ordered one this morning and it will be my second order with them - I was impressed the first time but it was just a spare part, so we'll see what happens on my first full aircraft order!

I owned the first version of this plane when HL first began selling them- I experienced the nose gear door issue and so it got a little scraped up during the first landing, and I never felt comfortable flying it. It was very erratic in the air - In retrospect I think I had the CG wrong, or perhaps a misalignment of the TV and the horizontal stabs. Now that I've got more EDF experience and have the similar Freewing Su-35 all dialed in, I think I'm ready to do this one right. I like the gear door servo addition on the V2!

So I have the receiver ready version coming in soon - I'm planning on running a 6S 4000mah 30C pack, an 8-channel FrSky Receiver, CC10A BEC (Also have a 20-Pro if you guys think its needed) and will run stock power system and servos. I'm planning to Y-cable the rudder and yaw TV so that it is on all the time, but will make the other vectors switch on/off.

Any/all quick setup suggestions that might save me the trouble of reading through all 73 pages here would be great, and very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
i found with my turnigy 4000mah i had to move the batt compartment back about 1 1/2 inches to get the CG neutral. it was quite easy, i just cut out the rear "bulkhead" of the batt comp, and hot glued it aft a bit. then put a foam block in front of batt to keep it from sliding. the only worry is there is less room for the bundles of wires on this thing lol
Feb 07, 2012, 08:37 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by genghiskt
U guys interested in the airframe only ?
I check for u. But I don't know the freight cost yet.
I can get most the Freewing products. Just drop me a PM.
Can U get the Freewing Venom? Cheers Pritz
Feb 07, 2012, 09:51 AM
Capt, USAF
Roswalt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23
i found with my turnigy 4000mah i had to move the batt compartment back about 1 1/2 inches to get the CG neutral. it was quite easy, i just cut out the rear "bulkhead" of the batt comp, and hot glued it aft a bit. then put a foam block in front of batt to keep it from sliding. the only worry is there is less room for the bundles of wires on this thing lol

Thanks for the batt placement tip - That's exactly the sort of thing I was curious about. Not looking forward to dealing with the "rats nest" but that's the price we pay for a good CG sometimes. BTW, is the manual providing a good number for that or is there a more accurate CG people are running?
Feb 07, 2012, 11:38 AM
Registered User
genghiskt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRITZ
Can U get the Freewing Venom? Cheers Pritz
Freewing Venom? I don't have it in my catalogue. You have a picture?
Feb 07, 2012, 12:22 PM
Registered User
RCflyerCT's Avatar
I am flying with the recommended CG from the manual and my bird flys great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt
Thanks for the batt placement tip - That's exactly the sort of thing I was curious about. Not looking forward to dealing with the "rats nest" but that's the price we pay for a good CG sometimes. BTW, is the manual providing a good number for that or is there a more accurate CG people are running?
Feb 07, 2012, 04:35 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
v8truckin's Avatar
ValueH sent me a tracking # in less than an hr of placing my order!!!
Feb 07, 2012, 05:13 PM
Capt, USAF
Roswalt's Avatar
They were shockingly fast for me too, on both orders. We could have a really good thing going with them!
Feb 07, 2012, 05:26 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
v8truckin's Avatar
The secret is out! Hopefully they can keep these prices and in stock. What was your 1st order?
Last edited by v8truckin; Feb 07, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Feb 07, 2012, 06:34 PM
ROLL, PITCH, YAW
washab's Avatar

Help please


I need a servo reverser or reversed servo for elevator. My searches seem to come up empty or the ones I find are out of stock.
Feb 07, 2012, 06:46 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
v8truckin's Avatar
I just ordered 4 today from them. I use em for all my electronics 1st.

Depending on which brand u use

JR/spektrum
https://www.toysonics.com/gws-y-harn...way-jr-15.html

Futaba
http://www.toysonics.com/gws-y-harne...way-fp-15.html


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log CRASHED Hobby Lobby F-35 Lightning II re-build. (YES, it's possible) denial15 Foamy EDFs 53 Dec 04, 2015 05:02 PM
Article Hobby Lobby eRC 90mm F/A 18E Super Hornet EDF Bajora Foamy EDFs 92 Jul 13, 2015 02:57 AM
Article Hobby Lobby F/A-18 Hornet ARF Review dawnron1 Foamy EDFs 2087 Jan 07, 2011 12:54 PM
Discussion My Hobby Lobby F-18 Hornet anyairrc Foamy EDFs 3 Feb 07, 2008 11:24 PM
For Sale Hobby Lobby F/A 18 Hornet Lipo & Electronics itspat Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 0 Jan 08, 2008 02:33 PM