Jun 24, 2012, 03:01 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Hey guys quick question. I just put the V3 retracts on my F-18, and they were working flawlessly until I ran across one problem up at the field. When I pull them up into the fuselage, the nose gear seems to almost grind after the mains have stopped pulling them up, the nose continues to try and pull, but the motor doesn't get hot, and the worm drive seems fine, no grind marks, so it's really confusing me, any ideas?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2012, 03:17 PM
Finally had the maiden today. Beautiful day. Blue skies. Small puffy clouds. Wind 5-10 running at a slight crosswind to the field.

Stock Freewing with the old twine "Sequencer". LOL. Anyway, the Sequencer seemed to work just fine. I CA'd the twine in place; what with the plastic fixtures nowhere to be found.

I had taken the steps to reinforce the LG mounts and put wheel collars on all round.

The take off run was a bit squirrelly. There's a slight chamber in my runway, our local HS running track, and I probably didn't have the nose wheel running perfectly true, but it eventually straightened and rotated in a little over 200'.

The climb out was fairly scale like. It didn't pop off and go near 45 degrees like so many I've seen in the vids. Elevator only without TV.

I was planning on this being a trim flight. I was a bit surprised that all it needed was a couple of clicks of aileron trim.

I made a few passes just to check it out. Full throttle and about 3/4. Nice speed and absolutely stable in each chosen angle of attack.

I took it up a bit in altitude and flipped the elevator TV on and did a series of flips.Then some reverse flips. Some high alpha. Very tight.

I brought it lower and did a few non TV rolls. Sweet! Flipped the aileron TV (flap position 2) and the roll rate really stepped up.

Time for a flat spin. Easy in and easy out. Perfect!

A couple more low, moderate speed and fast passes, and a practice approach with the gear down. Very responsive to rudder input even at a relatively slow speed. I was thinking about adding a conventional rudder, but not so sure now.

The landing required little on my part. Reduced throttle to around 25%, some rudder to keep it in the middle, and a bit of a flair. It settled with no drama. No bounce.

The battery, 4000 40C G Force, was barely warm. I forgot to put the timer on but, I had to be in the air between 3-4 mins with mixed throttle. Volts were around 3.7.

I get it why so many guys aren't using TV on this plane. It looks great flying within its full sized brother's envelope. On the other hand, it's kind of cool to be able to toss it around with the TV. Either way; this is a fine foamy EDF!
Jun 24, 2012, 03:54 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
I'm jealous. I don't have the cahonas to go TV nuts with her.
Jun 25, 2012, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros
I'm jealous. I don't have the cahonas to go TV nuts with her.
Thanks, but it wasn't that I'm brave. LOL. I've got a few other TV planes: Freewing F-16 and twin 55 mm Mig-29, so I had some experience to fall back on.
Jun 25, 2012, 08:06 AM
half-ass Astronaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros
Nice flying...I don't mean to laugh at your landing but your body language made me laugh only because I've been there SOOOOO many times before.
i laughed after a while too... i swear she didnt hit that hard, i will be reinforcing this time
Jun 25, 2012, 08:08 AM
half-ass Astronaut
this video was put together by a buddy, this was the re-maiden: before the gear ripped out

F18 Josh (4 min 39 sec)
Jun 25, 2012, 11:14 AM

Im in Love

Maiden the F18 this weekend, 8 flights Saturday and 8 flights Sunday.

All i can say is WOW, lands better than any of my jets, 100% stock setup.

Couple of 30%-40% 3d guys from the Club saw it fly and liked it so much they are getting one.

I love the retracts on this plane. Something currious tho, afte the 7th flight on Saturday the base of the retracts came out, when i epoxy them back noticed 2 screws were missing from each retract. took one of the screws and used it in one of the empty spots and it didnt even fit, the hole was too big.

Are they shipping this with only two screws per retract?

While it does get up and go, flys well @ 1/2 throttle but not a speed demon. My LX Mig-29 with 2xrclander 72mm DPS units is significantly faster.
Jun 25, 2012, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
Finally had the maiden today. Beautiful day. Blue skies. Small puffy clouds. Wind 5-10 running at a slight crosswind to the field.

Stock Freewing with the old twine "Sequencer". LOL. Anyway, the Sequencer seemed to work just fine. I CA'd the twine in place; what with the plastic fixtures nowhere to be found.

I had taken the steps to reinforce the LG mounts and put wheel collars on all round.

The take off run was a bit squirrelly. There's a slight chamber in my runway, our local HS running track, and I probably didn't have the nose wheel running perfectly true, but it eventually straightened and rotated in a little over 200'.

The climb out was fairly scale like. It didn't pop off and go near 45 degrees like so many I've seen in the vids. Elevator only without TV.

I was planning on this being a trim flight. I was a bit surprised that all it needed was a couple of clicks of aileron trim.

I made a few passes just to check it out. Full throttle and about 3/4. Nice speed and absolutely stable in each chosen angle of attack.

I took it up a bit in altitude and flipped the elevator TV on and did a series of flips.Then some reverse flips. Some high alpha. Very tight.

I brought it lower and did a few non TV rolls. Sweet! Flipped the aileron TV (flap position 2) and the roll rate really stepped up.

Time for a flat spin. Easy in and easy out. Perfect!

A couple more low, moderate speed and fast passes, and a practice approach with the gear down. Very responsive to rudder input even at a relatively slow speed. I was thinking about adding a conventional rudder, but not so sure now.

The landing required little on my part. Reduced throttle to around 25%, some rudder to keep it in the middle, and a bit of a flair. It settled with no drama. No bounce.

The battery, 4000 40C G Force, was barely warm. I forgot to put the timer on but, I had to be in the air between 3-4 mins with mixed throttle. Volts were around 3.7.

I get it why so many guys aren't using TV on this plane. It looks great flying within its full sized brother's envelope. On the other hand, it's kind of cool to be able to toss it around with the TV. Either way; this is a fine foamy EDF!
I love the TV on this plane, but i noticed something.

I did an inverted pass over the runway, around 10ft off the ground. Pushed it into a verticle then tried to do a end over end flip ( nose down ) and it didnt have the push to get back over the top. It sat there in a high alpha inverted and just couldn't push over the top. not sure why yet. i used 3700ma 65C bats and 4000ma 25C same thing.

It seams inverted flat spins are some what difficult to keep it nice and flat. If you do a flat spin often you know what i mean. The SU-35 i could do a flat spin and keep it realitively flat, not allot of shake. But the F18 while inverted didnt like that.
Now upright she loves to flat spin.
Jun 25, 2012, 11:22 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm
I love the retracts on this plane. Something currious tho, afte the 7th flight on Saturday the base of the retracts came out, when i epoxy them back noticed 2 screws were missing from each retract. took one of the screws and used it in one of the empty spots and it didnt even fit, the hole was too big.

Are they shipping this with only two screws per retract?
If you're talking about the mains, there are 4 screws. The 2 inner ones are short and go directly into the ply sheet. The outer ones are much longer and go "through" the ply sheet, down through a channel in the foam and then into something more solid below that. That top ply sheet (where the short screws go) is what came loose for me and I just pried it up some and lathered epoxy underneath, pushed the ply down and then put more epoxy along the top edges.
Jun 25, 2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
If you're talking about the mains, there are 4 screws. The 2 inner ones are short and go directly into the ply sheet. The outer ones are much longer and go "through" the ply sheet, down through a channel in the foam and then into something more solid below that. That top ply sheet (where the short screws go) is what came loose for me and I just pried it up some and lathered epoxy underneath, pushed the ply down and then put more epoxy along the top edges.
Thats what i did, odd thing is the 4 screws that are missing. Didnt notice any spares with the plane. Ill have to get ahold of BH and find out.

Seams this is a newer version. I had none of the issues everyone else has posted about. Even the mains have wheel collars on them vs plastic tabs.
Jun 25, 2012, 12:20 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
U can replace em with 1/2" to 1" #8 screws. Oh if u add the CS12 you'll be doing back flip after back flip.
Latest blog entry: Freewing Me262
Jun 25, 2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm
I love the TV on this plane, but i noticed something.

I did an inverted pass over the runway, around 10ft off the ground. Pushed it into a verticle then tried to do a end over end flip ( nose down ) and it didnt have the push to get back over the top. It sat there in a high alpha inverted and just couldn't push over the top. not sure why yet. i used 3700ma 65C bats and 4000ma 25C same thing.

It seams inverted flat spins are some what difficult to keep it nice and flat. If you do a flat spin often you know what i mean. The SU-35 i could do a flat spin and keep it realitively flat, not allot of shake. But the F18 while inverted didnt like that.
Now upright she loves to flat spin.
I didn't have any trouble with the reverse flip although I did only one.

Next time out I'll do a inverted flat spin to see what you're talking about. The normal flat spin was pretty good as you say.

I'd agree that the Su's and Mig's do better in flat spins, normal or inverted, or just about any 3D maneuver. That's what they were designed to do while the F/A 18 wasn't designed with that in mind.
Jun 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Hey guys quick question. I just put the V3 retracts on my F-18, and they were working flawlessly until I ran across one problem up at the field. When I pull them up into the fuselage, the nose gear seems to almost grind after the mains have stopped pulling them up, the nose continues to try and pull, but the motor doesn't get hot, and the worm drive seems fine, no grind marks, so it's really confusing me, any ideas?
Anyone got any ideas?
Jun 26, 2012, 01:57 AM
737DRIVER
JDUBG23

That was the coolest video ever posted on RC Groups!!! I assume that was a Go Pro? That music was so gansta! Makes me want to roll in my 5.0 with my 18" spinners! Who was the music by? Did you use a Mac to edit the video? Very awesome vid, thanks!!!

Tom
Jun 26, 2012, 06:50 AM
It's watts for dinner
I'm thinking about ordering one of these to keep myself entertained during the upcoming 4th of July holiday period.

Is there anything materially different between the VH and HL-eRC versions other than price & shipping?

Also, what battery connector comes stock on each?

Next, if I intend to fly stock (for now) is the consensus that 6S-4000 is the way to go? Any comments on the VH GeForce 40C vs GensAce 25C?

Finally - if I ultimately decide to go with a power upgrade, I assume it's a relatively easy swap on the PNP? Are people generally happy with stock power?

Thanks!

Quick Reply