Feb 28, 2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks for your help Clay! I got blown out about an hour after you left, I can't wait to get out earlier next time. I'll work on reinforcing the pushrods like you suggested too.

I thought Paul was going to jump out of his shoes when he saw that wing, I'll post pics soon!

Thanks ShoGinn I'll give it a try.

Brian
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2011, 10:32 PM
Here's some pics of my new Blaster3 with the spread tow wing. Too bad it comes fully painted, I'd love to see that carbon.

Brian
Mar 01, 2011, 10:49 PM
Space Cowboy
So tell me the benefits of spread tow.
I am still new to composite stuff.
Mar 01, 2011, 11:10 PM
Throw it like you hate it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoGinn
So tell me the benefits of spread tow.
I am still new to composite stuff.
i was going to write a bunch of stuff about spread tow, but thought better of it. here is a wiki link that describes it pretty well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_tow_fabric

the benefit in this application is that the wing gains more torsional rigidity so you will feel a stiffer wing on launch. since torsional loads on a wing usually causes reduced launch height, the stiffer we get the wing in twist, the higher the launch...to a degree.

when i handled Brian's wing i compared it to my B3 which is not spread tow. his wing was stiffer in torsion than mine by a little bit. it didnt seem huge, but i think i felt a difference. is it worth the extra $100? i am still undecided...it looks ing sexy though. i want one!
paul
Mar 01, 2011, 11:42 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Seems to me what the Blaster really needs is a stronger leading edge - it's quite fragile and rather infamous for that. Does it look like the spread tow d-box makes the LE tougher? If so, they might have a winner.
Mar 02, 2011, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN
Seems to me what the Blaster really needs is a stronger leading edge - it's quite fragile and rather infamous for that. Does it look like the spread tow d-box makes the LE tougher? If so, they might have a winner.
good thinking! thats another plus for the spread tow. when i talked to Barry at the SWC he said that was one of the main arguments for making a dbox. i personally think the standard wing is tough enough. i ran into a swing set with my B3 on the first day out. i forgot my 9.5oz B3 didnt penetrate like my 11.5oz B2's and ended up in a playground. the wing ran into a metal pole and had not markings. i pulled flaps before contact, hit about half span out, and i was only at 9.5oz but i was still impressed with the impact strength of the LE.
paul
Mar 02, 2011, 10:01 AM
AutoPilot .
Oh painted spread town is like riding your Lambo with the car cover
Mar 02, 2011, 10:21 AM
Space Cowboy
Cool stuff for sure, love the lambo reference

Leading edge on mine seems tough "enough" I have caught it on the leading edge but im fairly gentle with it.

This B3 is destined to be a backup plane once I decide what to get next as my main comp plane. Having only one DLG is a handicap for sure haha
Mar 02, 2011, 11:23 AM
rational exuberance
Can someone who has the official ballast kit post some pics of the material used, the assembly, and how it fits onto the supplied tongue that screws into the nose? I am going to try and fashion my own.

Thanks,
Duncan
Mar 02, 2011, 01:39 PM
Thermal Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunqun
Can someone who has the official ballast kit post some pics of the material used, the assembly, and how it fits onto the supplied tongue that screws into the nose? I am going to try and fashion my own.

Thanks,
Duncan

Duncan..... From Vladimir's website...

http://f3j.in.ua/index.php?id=198

- Jim
Mar 02, 2011, 02:18 PM
rational exuberance
Thanks Jim!

Ha! must be translated:

"The collected ballast is simply inserted in front of a fuselage into a nasal emphasis on a beam"

Anybody know what they mean by "textolite" ? Looks like G10?
Mar 02, 2011, 05:03 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel
Duncan..... From Vladimir's website...

http://f3j.in.ua/index.php?id=198

- Jim

It should have come with the white/clear plastic piece that screws on. All you have to do is fashion a piece to connect to it and run down the fuse.
Mar 02, 2011, 05:32 PM
rational exuberance
Yep, I have the plastic end piece. I just wanted to see the way they make theirs. I like the multiple holes in the end of the strip of "textolite" for CG adjustment.
Mar 02, 2011, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunqun
Anybody know what they mean by "textolite" ? Looks like G10?
it is. it is 0.040" thickness.
paul
Mar 02, 2011, 11:03 PM
rational exuberance
Thanks, Paul!

Quick Reply